5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Interesting speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Interesting speed problem

I have a 2001 SE with the 17" inch wheels. The problem I think I am having is that I believe my speedometer is not telling the truth. I first started to wonder when I received a speeding ticket when I was driving to Denver. I had my cruise control locked at 80MPH but the officer clocked me at 86. I did not think that was possible, but had no way to protest. Recently, while driving down a local highway, my brother was following me and called me on my mobile to explain to me why I get speeding tickets. He said I was driving at least 85 or 86 when I thought I was driving 80. Finally, I had a friend pace me the other night and this is what I found: When I was driving 70 the pace car was driving about 72. When I bumped it up to 75, he reported 79. We then went up to 80, he reported 86....

Anyway, I've taken it in to the dealer twice and both times, they say that they have connected a computer to a sensor in the car. I'm not sure exactly what sensor, but I'm just going on what they tell me. Anyway, they took it up to 80 and found that the sesor reported the correct speed. I'm still arguing with them that there is still something wrong, but they disagree.

What I am wondering is, is there anyone that has noticed this problem or if anyone knows anything about this type of problem. Any help or info would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:51 PM

Taller wheels on the SE=slower speedo reading
Old 01-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Telus.net

Re: Interesting speed problem

Originally posted by klapidus
I have a 2001 SE with the 17" inch wheels. The problem I think I am having is that I believe my speedometer is not telling the truth. I first started to wonder when I received a speeding ticket when I was driving to Denver. I had my cruise control locked at 80MPH but the officer clocked me at 86. I did not think that was possible, but had no way to protest. Recently, while driving down a local highway, my brother was following me and called me on my mobile to explain to me why I get speeding tickets. He said I was driving at least 85 or 86 when I thought I was driving 80. Finally, I had a friend pace me the other night and this is what I found: When I was driving 70 the pace car was driving about 72. When I bumped it up to 75, he reported 79. We then went up to 80, he reported 86....

Anyway, I've taken it in to the dealer twice and both times, they say that they have connected a computer to a sensor in the car. I'm not sure exactly what sensor, but I'm just going on what they tell me. Anyway, they took it up to 80 and found that the sesor reported the correct speed. I'm still arguing with them that there is still something wrong, but they disagree.

What I am wondering is, is there anyone that has noticed this problem or if anyone knows anything about this type of problem. Any help or info would be appreciated.
when your a kid have you ride a bike with gear shifts???

Old 01-03-2002, 07:49 PM

Re: Interesting speed problem

there is an easy way for you to test it yourself ...

get a stopwatch and time yourself ... go from one mile marker to the next and stay at 60 mph. you make it in a minute even you are fine ... anything plus or minus and your spedo is off. you can take it to your dealer and request they do the same thing. I had this problem in my 2wd nissan truck about 5 years ago. My 3 speeding tickets and one faulty equipment tickets were enough for me to trade the thing off. A new instrument cluster at that time for the truck was $500+
Old 01-03-2002, 07:59 PM
JET Speed Lab

Old 01-03-2002, 10:45 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

GPS...

my GPS actually reports both my max and pf at 2 mph less than the speedo @ 70. I've had several GPS' and all have said the same thing. Now I set the cruise alittle higher

My dad has a suburban and last year while visiting, I was showing him the GPS mapping and whatnot. I asked him if he had gotten lots of tickets. He kinda laughed and said "yeah, its the damnest thing".. I said "not really, your speedo is 5 mph slow"
Old 01-04-2002, 04:47 AM
Got Bent?

there is actually a different ECU program for the 17" wheels that your car should have already.... the speedo should be accurate.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
there is actually a different ECU program for the 17" wheels that your car should have already.... the speedo should be accurate.
I don't want to point out the obvious, but even if you have the wrong program in your ECU the speedo should only be off 2.2% or less That's a lot less than 6MPH at 80. In fact it's less than 2MPH. There must be something else wrong if your speedo really is reading incorrectly. I'd recommend you get a GPS unit like a Garmin E-trex which will show you your speed. Then take the dealer for a little drive and make them fix it.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 12:39 PM

My spedo is spot on, no more than a humanly timed run (over 20 miles).

Do the hand timing method and that should prove it enough to the dealer, if not... 1-800-nissan1
Old 01-04-2002, 01:06 PM

My car came with the stock 17's and my spedo was dead nuts on. Since i have put on the 18's it is a little fast. So far it is only 1 mph fast at 80. I say check the ecu like UMD said.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Interesting speed problem

Originally posted by ispeed

there is an easy way for you to test it yourself ...

get a stopwatch and time yourself ... go from one mile marker to the next and stay at 60 mph. you make it in a minute even you are fine ... anything plus or minus and your spedo is off. you can take it to your dealer and request they do the same thing. I had this problem in my 2wd nissan truck about 5 years ago. My 3 speeding tickets and one faulty equipment tickets were enough for me to trade the thing off. A new instrument cluster at that time for the truck was $500+
The problem with doing it that way is the speed differences begin at 70MPH and above.....
Old 01-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thats interesting because the mechanic that tested my car said that this car has factory installed 17" wheels. The 2001 Maxima SE comes standard with 16" wheels but if you want the 17" wheels, you buy the comfort and convenience package, which I did. What I don't know is, when you buy addon packages like that, is that done at the factory or does the dealer do that?

Anyway, I'm assuming that if I have an ECU program for 16" wheels, there computer will be reading the correct speed for a 16" wheel and won't show any problems. The mechanic said that regardless of whether you have 16" or 17" wheels, the computer will adjust for the difference. I personally think he didn't know what he was talking about....
Old 01-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Got Bent?

Thats interesting because the mechanic that tested my car said that this car has factory installed 17" wheels. The 2001 Maxima SE comes standard with 16" wheels but if you want the 17" wheels, you buy the comfort and convenience package, which I did. What I don't know is, when you buy addon packages like that, is that done at the factory or does the dealer do that?

Anyway, I'm assuming that if I have an ECU program for 16" wheels, there computer will be reading the correct speed for a 16" wheel and won't show any problems. The mechanic said that regardless of whether you have 16" or 17" wheels, the computer will adjust for the difference. I personally think he didn't know what he was talking about....

if you get the 17's as an add-on from the dealer, they should reprogram the ECU for you. But, even if you don't have the correct program, your error won't be large at all. You are describing a rather large discrepancy. Another way to check would be with a scan tool. AN ODB-II scan tool measurs speed directly from the ECU. This may be able to tell you if your speedo gauge is off (but ECU is correct).....
Old 01-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you get the 17's as an add-on from the dealer, they should reprogram the ECU for you. But, even if you don't have the correct program, your error won't be large at all. You are describing a rather large discrepancy. Another way to check would be with a scan tool. AN ODB-II scan tool measurs speed directly from the ECU. This may be able to tell you if your speedo gauge is off (but ECU is correct).....
Actually, I believe the dealer is using some sort of scan tool as you mentioned. When I told them that I had someone pacing me, they asked if the other car was accurate. How the hell am I supposed to know that? I think there is a problem, but I have nothing to go on ecept my word against theirs....
Old 01-04-2002, 05:30 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

next time you see a cop...

that is 1/2 way approachable (ie at the donut shop ask him if he has laser and tell him your plight, double back at the next block and let him clock ya. You know, like before but with the ticket part ! He *MIGHT* even write something for your dealer (or just note his badge number and tell your dealer).

seriously, its dangerous to not be able judge your speed (think wet exit ramp).