5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS owners step in

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Gram Lights addict

Tein SS owners step in

For those of you that got the SS coilovers by Tein, how comfortable are they compared to stock? Be realistic and do not suger coat things. I love how super smooth my AE is but i want to drop it. I hear it rides like stock but then again i heard the samething about BC racings and those things rode nothing like stock on my 4th gen.

your inputs plz!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
For those of you that got the SS coilovers by Tein, how comfortable are they compared to stock? Be realistic and do not suger coat things. I love how super smooth my AE is but i want to drop it. I hear it rides like stock but then again i heard the samething about BC racings and those things rode nothing like stock on my 4th gen.

your inputs plz!
i think your jaded from your experience on the BCs, TIEN SS is suposidly better than stock on 5th Gens in both aspects of comfort and handling, and at almost/probably a higher price than OEM , it better be.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 AM

As good or smoother than stock.
Less body roll and bouncyness.
To gain a really noticable increase in handling from them, you do need to tighten the Damping up a bit, which will stiffen them. But even on Full Stiff, they're very, very smooth.

You can actually set them to full soft and they'll ride much smoother than stock, but handling won't really be better by any crazy amount.

Get them, you won't be displeased. I was more sceptical then you when I was researching. I was effing blown away 100% when I drove on them after install. No one exageratted, these are insanely smooth for coilovers.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
As good or smoother than stock.
Less body roll and bouncyness.
To gain a really noticable increase in handling from them, you do need to tighten the Damping up a bit, which will stiffen them. But even on Full Stiff, they're very, very smooth.

You can actually set them to full soft and they'll ride much smoother than stock, but handling won't really be better by any crazy amount.

Get them, you won't be displeased. I was more sceptical then you when I was researching. I was effing blown away 100% when I drove on them after install. No one exageratted, these are insanely smooth for coilovers.

im very tempted to get them really. i dealt with the ****t stock handling of the AE for two years and honestly I cant do it anymore. too much body roll making right or left turns, freeway lane changes etc. I want the car to be tossable. Couple times I almost got into accidents cuz I couldnt maneuver around sharply/safely and save my ***

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 03-31-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Well, I'll advise this, if you're hoping that this car will turn into a sharp, firm, predictable steering machine, that just won't happen, period. The maxima just isn't designed for that, and you're not going to acheive it. This is the bulk of the reason I bought another car (G35 sedan).

The maxima just won't ever be super firm, etc. It's by nature a little sloppy.
There are a LOT of great things you can do to make it better, even, A LOT better, just don't expect it to become a different car, it won't. Probably the best/easiest thing you can do to firm up the steering is put in firmer bushings, good Coilovers, change to a smaller wheel, change your steering column bushing (they wear, making the steering even more sloppy), and good tires and brakes.

It's not done often, but I'd think about going a few MM up in Sway bar size too. Adding braces is fine and well, but it doesn't really do much to fix sloppy steering, it just takes slight roll out of the body

Sway bars/bushings will actually take slop out.

In either case, if you want smooth and reliable, while still acheiving large adjustment range for height, then just get a set of the SS's. I got mine used and considering the stupid price buying these new these days, that'd be recommended if you can do it.

Also, Tein is discontinuing the SS and coming out with an 'updated' replacement, supposed to be the same but better type deal. Personally, I'd stick with the tried and true.... at least until the new model gets a good couple years in to prove itself
Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Toolie

I think the teins are a little soft on the rears. I am almost at hardest setting and i rub with my tire setup. I never rubbed with eibachs on the rear. But it is hands down a better ride with the tein ss setup
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM

Height/travel is the spring, not the damper. Sounds like you're relying on the Damper to keep the spring from travelling, and that's not how she works brah

The difference may simply be that the springs are linear on the Coilovers, your stock ones are progressive. But either way damping setting should have nothing much to do with travel.

I'm surprised you're rubbing though, have you cut the 90 degree tab from the bumper to the quarter?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Toolie

I'm at the same height on the back as i was with the eibachs. So the rear springs on the coilovers are softer than the eibachs. I measured before and after.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 AM

Yeah, springs are softer for sure in the rear, especially compared to the drop springs available (most of them anyways)

I found that too. Once I cut the tab though all was good.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Gram Lights addict

Well, I'll advise this, if you're hoping that this car will turn into a sharp, firm, predictable steering machine, that just won't happen, period.
yes i know that. i was happy with the way my 4th gen handled on coilovers and wider wheels/tires, it was pretty tossable. thats all im looking for anyways on the streets, not trying to make it a track car.

prolly going to try the SS's out soon. the lowest I see them right now is $1150 shipped. not that bad. gonna have to order fidanza and exedy OE first tho.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM

I have Tein SS on my 5.5 gen and that is my daily driver. Tire set-up is 245/35/19. Car rides very nice and I had my share of coilovers on it ( k-sport, d2 ). By far the Tein SS have provided the best ride comfort with the benefits of a lowered ride.

Keep on thing in mind though. The Tein SS are no longer produced for the maxima. They are still sold in various places but they have been replaced with the Tein Street Advance coilovers. So when you are in the market for them, I would suggest getting the new coilovers.

http://www.tein.com/products/street_advance.html
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 AM

Can't wait for mine. Next week Tuner
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
I have Tein SS on my 5.5 gen and that is my daily driver. Tire set-up is 245/35/19. Car rides very nice and I had my share of coilovers on it ( k-sport, d2 ). By far the Tein SS have provided the best ride comfort with the benefits of a lowered ride.

Keep on thing in mind though. The Tein SS are no longer produced for the maxima. They are still sold in various places but they have been replaced with the Tein Street Advance coilovers. So when you are in the market for them, I would suggest getting the new coilovers.

http://www.tein.com/products/street_advance.html
Very tempting! and cheaper than BCR setup. However, item description makes no mention of pillowball mounts or camber adjustment plates.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 AM

The Tein SS or the new Street Advance do not offer camber plates as the top mounts. You use the OEM upper mounts and if you want camber to be adjusted, camber bolts should be used.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Gram Lights addict

they dont make the new SS advanced for any maximas.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 AM

^ They have not released them yet but they were supposed to hit the market early spring. This is the last time I had talked to a sales rep since I was planning on upgrading to them.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM

The Tein SS or the new Street Advance do not offer camber plates as the top mounts. You use the OEM upper mounts and if you want camber to be adjusted, camber bolts should be used.
hmmm. wonder if that's an upgrade or a downgrade.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM

This. Though I don't ever recommend camber bolts because even at 3" they're not necessary, you can just oblong the strut mount holes if necessary. Camber bolts are more for quick track camber adjustment, they cut too much material away for my liking on a DD.

And yup Merovi, they're all packed up waiting for you
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM

I been using the camber bolts on both of my maxima's ( both made by H&R ) without any issues for the longest time now. I have about -1 degree of camber set-up but that is my personal choice.

Are you saying you do not like how much material is actually removed from the camber bolts? Also remember you are still utilizing one OEM bolt and one camber bolt.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM

I may be misunderstanding the install, but don't you have to cut away material from the Strut mount and/or the knuckle to get the bolt in there?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM

No, the install only requires the removal of the Top OEM bolt ( the bolts that hold the strut assembly to the knuckle ) and replacing it with the camber bolt. The lower bolt is still the OEM one. The camber bolt is a direct replacement for the oem bolt. And each camber bolt gives you the ability to dial in up to -1 degree of camber. So if you replace both bolts, you can get -2 degree of camber.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM

How much of a drop do you need before your camber gets messed up in the first place?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Mesa
How much of a drop do you need before your camber gets messed up in the first place?
With my Altima it didn't take much. But the maxima is a much different platform so i'm interested to know as well
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM

No, the install only requires the removal of the Top OEM bolt ( the bolts that hold the strut assembly to the knuckle ) and replacing it with the camber bolt. The lower bolt is still the OEM one. The camber bolt is a direct replacement for the oem bolt. And each camber bolt gives you the ability to dial in up to -1 degree of camber. So if you replace both bolts, you can get -2 degree of camber.
Hmm maybe they just had the wrong size then when I saw all this. Thanks for brining this to light for me dude!

Originally Posted by merovi
With my Altima it didn't take much. But the maxima is a much different platform so i'm interested to know as well
Technically any amount of drop changes the camber. Any good allignment shop can adjust the camber pretty easy without the use of camber bolts, etc. It's not complicated some guys are just lazy and don't want to do it.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Well, I'll advise this, if you're hoping that this car will turn into a sharp, firm, predictable steering machine, that just won't happen, period. The maxima just isn't designed for that, and you're not going to acheive it. This is the bulk of the reason I bought another car (G35 sedan).

The maxima just won't ever be super firm, etc. It's by nature a little sloppy.
There are a LOT of great things you can do to make it better, even, A LOT better, just don't expect it to become a different car, it won't. Probably the best/easiest thing you can do to firm up the steering is put in firmer bushings, good Coilovers, change to a smaller wheel, change your steering column bushing (they wear, making the steering even more sloppy), and good tires and brakes.

It's not done often, but I'd think about going a few MM up in Sway bar size too. Adding braces is fine and well, but it doesn't really do much to fix sloppy steering, it just takes slight roll out of the body
I know this is OT but just want to throw SFC's in there (best suspension mod for me so far)

-------------

As far as coils it does seem Tein is dragging its feet on releasing the SA. You can still buy the SS I'm assuming?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 PM

I'd rather see them 'drag their feet'. That means (IMO) that they are doing extensive testing to make them better before releasing them. Or they found a problem and they're fixing it before release.

Either way, I'm done with Teins for quite some time, so it doesn't much matter to me
As the Teins for the G35 aren't worth half as much as they cost, the competition is way too thick in the 350Z/G35 segment.

And Merovi is getting my old Tein SS's for his Maxima, a worthy car and owner for them indeed
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM

I'd rather see them 'drag their feet'. That means (IMO) that they are doing extensive testing to make them better before releasing them. Or they found a problem and they're fixing it before release.

Either way, I'm done with Teins for quite some time, so it doesn't much matter to me
As the Teins for the G35 aren't worth half as much as they cost, the competition is way too thick in the 350Z/G35 segment.

And Merovi is getting my old Tein SS's for his Maxima, a worthy car and owner for them indeed
Damn G owners with your friggin options

Yeah...I'm
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
I know this is OT but just want to throw SFC's in there (best suspension mod for me so far)
+1, and i dont have them...

damn lucky guy, he got roch's max too right?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-06-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
+1, and i dont have them...

This guy did my custom ones for about $450

http://www.wildridesracecars.com/shop.html

You're in Southeast PA so you may not drive too far
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
damn lucky guy, he got roch's max too right?
Yup, he's a lucky cat, that merovi.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Toolie

Well, I just looked up the spring rate for the rear Tein SS and the website says 340LBS, and then I searched in here for the eibach spring rate and found it to be progessive but the max is 346 LBS, so why is my *** end so much softer? I called my parts guy and he is looking into getting me a higher rated spring for the rears for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Essentially no set up that lowers or that improves handling will provide better than stock ride quality, that's just the way it is. The biggest thing that can be done to improve ride quality on this chassis is subframe bracing, but with an aftermarket suspension set up, it is not going to ride as cushy as the stock springs. That being said, the Tein SS were better than any strut/spring combo I tried in terms of both handling and ride comfort. Get the Tein SS and find a set of SFCs if you really want to improve both handling and how the car feels.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Well, I just looked up the spring rate for the rear Tein SS and the website says 340LBS, and then I searched in here for the eibach spring rate and found it to be progessive but the max is 346 LBS, so why is my *** end so much softer? I called my parts guy and he is looking into getting me a higher rated spring for the rears for me.
I'd do some more research on progressive rates vs. linear rates. As far as I'm aware, progressive springs can't be rated at ONE strict lb rating... so to say the eibach's are 346lb isn't really accurate from my understanding.

The answer to your question though i dunno, but if you want stiff/hard Tein SS wasn't the best choice unfortunately. Are you rubbing the wheelwells on bumps? I had that issue I raised up 1/4" and cut that tab and didn't have a issue since. And I was running with a trunk full of tools, my son, luggage, etc. AND tires that were 1" taller than stock.

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Essentially no set up that lowers or that improves handling will provide better than stock ride quality.
While I'd almost always agree with this, in the case of the Tein SS, I disagree. IMHO, the ride is better than stock, hands down. Both in comfort, body roll, response, braking, across the board better.

If you tighten the dampers up the ride suffers proportionatly with the increase in handling capabilites, but even on full stiff, they're comfy as heck.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

While I'd almost always agree with this, in the case of the Tein SS, I disagree. IMHO, the ride is better than stock, hands down. Both in comfort, body roll, response, braking, across the board better.

If you tighten the dampers up the ride suffers proportionatly with the increase in handling capabilites, but even on full stiff, they're comfy as heck.
We can agree to disagree then. Ride comfort is totally subjective, and I feel that no aftermarket set up that lowers the ride AND improves handling will offer a more comfortable ride than stock. What is comfortable to one person is different for someone else. I'm not talking about body roll, response, braking, etc, those aspects I'll agree that the Teins beat the stock strut/spring or any aftermarket, except maybe a Koni Yellow, set up hands down.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM

We can agree to disagree then.
Sure

Have you ridden in a 5th gen on Tein SS?
Even for straight up comfort, no other aspect, they're better. The stock struts hit much harder on sharp bumps (no, my old struts weren't worn lol)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Sure

Have you ridden in a 5th gen on Tein SS?
Even for straight up comfort, no other aspect, they're better. The stock struts hit much harder on sharp bumps (no, my old struts weren't worn lol)
Owned a 2002 for 9+ years and 90,000 miles, over 3 of those years with Tein SS.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM

We can agree to disagree then.

I do forget though, that I have an SE, and the GXE or whatever are quite notably softer. So for comparison sakes, I am comparing the SE struts to the Tein SS when I say the Tein's are smoother.
I haven't rode in any other model that had new enough struts to compare.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Toolie

I'm running 245's on an 8" rim with a +25 offset, so ya I am rubbing with the Teins, but never with the eibachs. And the eibachs are rated at 194-295-346 progressive, which felt a lot harder than the 340 from the teins.

When I get the rear quarters fixed, I am going to ask for a custom tab, and I also have the QT link to install to even out the rear end.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 04-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Gram Lights addict

$1165 shipped from THmotorsports... who can find me these bad boys with a triple digit price ?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:15 AM

1165!?!?!? You can't find them for that price at all anymore, just get them. You may want to investigate that price even because that's stupid cheap, that's pretty much cost for a dealer or less.
You can't get them under 1k new.

Prices on these went up alongside many suspension/car parts in the last couple of years, and the prices are expected to increase even more over the next few years.

Quick Reply: Tein SS owners step in