5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Leaking coolant again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Leaking coolant again...

Ok so I have fixed anything I can think of but I am starting to smell coolant again after a good stretch of 6-8 months of no coolant loss or smell.

I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, all the hoses radiator radiator cap, o rings in the front metal tubes that go over the exhaust, all the gaskets on that metal tube that is on the driver side of the engine where it hooks up to the thing that looks like a thermostat and the most recent place I found coolant was from that large bolt under the front exhaust manifold.

That kept the car from loosing coolant for the last 6 months but now I smell it and was a bit low on coolant. I seriously hate this car lol. I have an exhaust leak that I cant find, and EGR code and a blinking airbag light, I also need new rotors all around and I believe front bearings, I haven't had enough time to really fix those issues but this car gets on my nerves.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pkrainert
Ok so I have fixed anything I can think of but I am starting to smell coolant again after a good stretch of 6-8 months of no coolant loss or smell.

I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, all the hoses radiator radiator cap, o rings in the front metal tubes that go over the exhaust, all the gaskets on that metal tube that is on the driver side of the engine where it hooks up to the thing that looks like a thermostat and the most recent place I found coolant was from that large bolt under the front exhaust manifold.

That kept the car from loosing coolant for the last 6 months but now I smell it and was a bit low on coolant. I seriously hate this car lol. I have an exhaust leak that I cant find, and EGR code and a blinking airbag light, I also need new rotors all around and I believe front bearings, I haven't had enough time to really fix those issues but this car gets on my nerves.
Have you checked the line going to the throttle body and do the coolant bypass to save yourself from the issues that happen when it leaks!exhaust leak check the back side of the resonator where the seam is also check inside the flex pipe unhook and use a flashlight to look inside.do a airbag reset to stop the blinking light.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Leaking heater core maybe? At this point I'd get a pressure test from a local radiator shop. Many will do it for free.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:54 PM

I guess I could go get a test done. I used the one from Autozone and had no leaks but maybe that test is invalid?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Also there is no smell of coolant in the car.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by pkrainert
Also there is no smell of coolant in the car.
Ahhhh, I thought you were smelling it inside the car.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Sorry for being unclear i am just frustrated with this car lol.

We drove it all day with no leaks or smells today? I have checked the oil level and color it seems normal. I was worried i had an internal leak and still sort of am. No coolant smell or smoke in the exhaust and no visual evidence in the oil. I need to change the oul within the next month anyways should i send it somewhere to be tested for moisture/coolant.