5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'02 Sold - Thanks to Maxima.org

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

'02 Sold - Thanks to Maxima.org

Finally sold my slightly modded '02 SE. Thanks to any and everyone on this site for helping me along my mod journey. Tons of info on this site and the members are always helpful.

Before you ask....I stayed in the "family" and moved up to an Infiniti G Sedan. Black on Black XS Fully Loaded.

Someone in Central Ohio will have a decent Sterling Silver '02 with about 130k and a bunch of mods. BTW: The tranny & radiator are new too.... you're welcome!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another one of the OGs bites the dust huh? Congrats on the new ride though, and where are the pics?? The G37XS is a really nice car. I just sold my 2002 last year too.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Thoughts on the G so far? AWD + Sport Package = No 6MT, right?

@Puppet: You sold yours, too? Sheesh, what's going to happen to the collective knowledge on these forums..? =/
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Congrats on the new ride....;-)
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OP congrats. Can't wait to sell mine...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
That's correct. Although the Sport Seats are very nice, the Sport Package doesn't add much to the G37x... you need RWD to get the better suspension and BBK. The 6MT is RWD-only.

Regardless how you parse it, though, the G is an upgrade in every sense of the word; (except trunk space and gas mileage. Mileage sucks.)

OP, isn't it nice to have a car with a reasonable turning radius? I give thanks every time I don't have to make a K-turn.

Sheesh, what's going to happen to the collective knowledge on these forums?
You start a new collective.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-18-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's correct. Although the Sport Seats are very nice, the Sport Package doesn't add much to the G37x... you need RWD to get the better suspension and BBK. The 6MT is RWD-only.

Regardless how you parse it, though, the G is an upgrade in every sense of the word; (except trunk space and gas mileage. Mileage sucks.)

OP, isn't it nice to have a car with a reasonable turning radius? I give thanks every time I don't have to make a K-turn.
How much snow do you guys get up there in Rochester? I know Snow tires help a fair amount, but I wouldn't be caught out in the snow with a RWD car. Granted FWD is useless if your trying to accelerate around a corner in snow, my max has never left me stuck in the snow. My cars open diff and stupid transmission always make it interesting though. Gotta love it when the car shifts into second gear when your not even moving.

Ive Driven a G37X, and it was great fun, but the thing was heavy. I think the X version weighs about 500lbs more then my max. Definitely an upgrade, however I do recall the headliner and door window switches felt rather cheep.

I thought about buying an early G35X, but being a college student the extra 3k was more then I was able to come up with. And I kinda feel like an early G35x probably isn't much faster then my max... Were the early X's HR's or DE's?

And I definitely agree on the steering radius. Parking is the hardest part of my daily drive.

You start a new collective.
Guess I better learn as much as possible, and quick, before all you experienced guys disappear.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

Love it so far. No 6MT. No Sport Suspension. No BBK.

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Congrats on the new ride....;-)
Thanks! The backup camera is my favorite feature.

Mileage isn't horrible. I lost about 3-4 mpg. You are right. The XS has the sport appearance, paddle shifters, sport seats (they take a little bit to get used to), but no BBK or suspension. I plan to drop anyway so wasn't a loss. The brakes are solid and powerful. I could do the Sport BBK for a decent price.

The car is really solid, powerful, and pretty nimble. The X isn't as fun as a straight S (no burnouts FTL) but I can hand my wife the keys and not worry a bit.

And yes...the turn radius is soooooo much better. The max was like driving a bus!

Last edited by SgtSchulze; 04-18-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Mesa
How much snow do you guys get up there in Rochester? I know Snow tires help a fair amount, but I wouldn't be caught out in the snow with a RWD car. Granted FWD is useless if your trying to accelerate around a corner in snow, my max has never left me stuck in the snow. My cars open diff and stupid transmission always make it interesting though. Gotta love it when the car shifts into second gear when your not even moving.

Ive Driven a G37X, and it was great fun, but the thing was heavy. I think the X version weighs about 500lbs more then my max. Definitely an upgrade, however I do recall the headliner and door window switches felt rather cheep.

I thought about buying an early G35X, but being a college student the extra 3k was more then I was able to come up with. And I kinda feel like an early G35x probably isn't much faster then my max... Were the early X's HR's or DE's?

And I definitely agree on the steering radius. Parking is the hardest part of my daily drive.

Guess I better learn as much as possible, and quick, before all you experienced guys disappear.
We average 100" snow per year.

Wouldn't be caught dead with a RWD car? That's funny. Get some snow tires and man up, kid.

Your 5.5 gen Max is approximately 3200 pounds. The G37 is about 3600 pounds.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Wouldn't be caught dead with a RWD car? That's funny. Get some snow tires and man up, kid.
Funny I thought weight distribution and ground clearance had an effect on driving in snow , unless the -RWD only- sports suspension increases ground clearance and that spare tire in the trunk must has some serious bulk to it.

Sarcasm aside,I suppose "wouldn't be caught dead" is a bit extreme, "would be less comfortable with a RWD car" is a better way of putting it.
Your 5.5 gen Max is approximately 3200 pounds. The G37 is about 3600 pounds.
Infiniti's website has the G37 6mt Listed as 3700lbs, and the G37X listed as 3800lbs, but being the kid I am I guess I ought to stick to looking at their photo gallery...

Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 AM

All you need in winter are snow tires and common sense, regardless of FWD or RWD. There's also active stability control, anti-lock brakes and a limited slip rear differential; (LSD is only in the RWD G37 with the Sport Package).

The thing is, I've been driving in Upstate NY winters for three decades, without the aid of fancy gadgets to save me from myself. That's why all the lutz about your FWD warnings. Around here, you can spot winter-driving noobs a mile away, and you give them a lot of clearance.

Originally Posted by SgtSchulze
Thanks! The backup camera is my favorite feature.
Also my first car with a backup camera. Very nice feature. Did you know it plays DVD movies? Of course, it's audio-only when you're driving. You need to be in park otherwise.

I like the music box, too. Ripped about 100 CD's to it so far.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-19-2012 at 06:02 AM.