5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where to begin?...Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Where to begin?...Audio?

New to this site so take it easy on me, sorry if this is common

2 weeks ago i got my 60k 02 SE and i love it..

The first thing i want to do is change the entire stock(non-Bose) Sound System, because i love my music, and the factory parts aren't doing it for me. I'm not looking to turn heads because its so obnoxiously loud, i just want a very clear, great sounding audio with enough bass that it satisfies me.

i wanted to start of by getting a new deck so i went to Crutchfield , and i was looking at either a
"JVC KD-X40" or a "SONY CDX-GT565UP"

on the same website i was looking to change the speakers in the rear and in the front. i came across a

"JL Audio TR600-CXi" or a "JL Audio C2-600X" (both 2-way and 6.5")

do you think these are good options that i should pick from...or are there way better things out there i don't see?...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by CWolfSE
New to this site so take it easy on me, sorry if this is common

2 weeks ago i got my 60k 02 SE and i love it..

The first thing i want to do is change the entire stock(non-Bose) Sound System, because i love my music, and the factory parts aren't doing it for me. I'm not looking to turn heads because its so obnoxiously loud, i just want a very clear, great sounding audio with enough bass that it satisfies me.

i wanted to start of by getting a new deck so i went to Crutchfield , and i was looking at either a
"JVC KD-X40" or a "SONY CDX-GT565UP"

on the same website i was looking to change the speakers in the rear and in the front. i came across a

"JL Audio TR600-CXi" or a "JL Audio C2-600X" (both 2-way and 6.5")

do you think these are good options that i should pick from...or are there way better things out there i don't see?...
Before we go worrying about how the radio sounds, lets worry about the mechanical condition of the car. Seeing as you only bought it two weeks ago, you don't know the previous owners maintenance history. It may have been immaculately cared for, but more likely than not, it wasn't. So remember; Maintenance BEFORE mods.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Don't buy from crutchfield, they are overpriced. Buy from sonicelectronix.com or find a local authorized dealer. Local dealers around me tend to give me sweet deals..
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by tseng1023
Don't buy from crutchfield, they are overpriced. Buy from sonicelectronix.com or find a local authorized dealer. Local dealers around me tend to give me sweet deals..
This or miliionbuy.com I check both....
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM

I found a good deal on a solid JVC Arsenal head unit that had all the features I wanted (5v preamps, usb front input, aux front input, hd radio, etc) and is sold exclusively on Crutchfield. Did lots of research and decided it offered me the best bang for my buck. Moral of the story is shop, compare, shop some more, compare some more and then purchase.

FYI:
The dash kit that came with the radio I ordered from Crutchfield was garbage > http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1208890...t.html?tp=3121

It requires you to have the Bose brackets and leaves a small gap between the radio and provided pocket. I used the search function here and found others had the same negative reviews as me. So I did some research and found Metra had 2 other kits available for my 95 Maxima. One for double and one for single din applications. I needed the single din kit and my local Best Buy carried it and had it in stock. $19.99 later and I had Metra kit #99-7417 at home. Installation couldn't have been easier and the Bose brackets were no longer needed. The pocket and box design looks so much cleaner. I just had to saw off a couple tabs and everything fit like a glove. If anyone is looking to upgrade their stock unit I'd recommend checking out this dash kit over the one Crutchfield supplies. Of course if you opt for a double din radio this won't be an issue.

But I have to +1 dared3vil0's post. Spend your money on the boring maintenance parts first.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by dared3vil0
Before we go worrying about how the radio sounds, lets worry about the mechanical condition of the car. Seeing as you only bought it two weeks ago, you don't know the previous owners maintenance history. It may have been immaculately cared for, but more likely than not, it wasn't. So remember; Maintenance BEFORE mods.
I know what you mean but I actually purchased this car from a family friend, he took car of this car exceptionally. He only put 60,000 miles on it. Stored it every winter(exterior is flawless). And he's in his early 60's so I don't think he beat on it much. I'm 2nd owner.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned

ordering from crutch field is your 1st mistake...since you are local some advice would be to post audio threads in the audio section of the forum...

where in MA are you located?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tseng1023
one thing to think about sonicelectronix.com is not an authorized dealer of all their products so if something goes crap its good luck getting a replacement
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM

I know what you mean but I actually purchased this car from a family friend, he took car of this car exceptionally. He only put 60,000 miles on it. Stored it every winter(exterior is flawless). And he's in his early 60's so I don't think he beat on it much. I'm 2nd owner.
That almost worrys me more, the fact is that elderly can be horrible on their vehicle maintenance, The other thing is was it properly stored? You can't just park a car for 5 months without touching it.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
ordering from crutch field is your 1st mistake...since you are local some advice would be to post audio threads in the audio section of the forum...

where in MA are you located?
Leominster/worcester county
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM

That almost worrys me more, the fact is that elderly can be horrible on their vehicle maintenance, The other thing is was it properly stored? You can't just park a car for 5 months without touching it.
Well what do you suggest I do? How can I know if it is in good shape? I want the best for my maxima
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM

If there are not any service records avaiable, start with the basics. Change the enginge oil, change the tranny fluid, (oil), change the coolant. Check the brakes, check the suspension/front end, etc, etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by spock
If there are not any service records avaiable, start with the basics. Change the enginge oil, change the tranny fluid, (oil), change the coolant. Check the brakes, check the suspension/front end, etc, etc.
Beat me to the punch. This exactly.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Banned

You can't just park a car for 5 months without touching it.
Actually you can. Tru story.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
Actually you can. Tru story.
Well of course you CAN, but it's stupid and a horrible thing to do to a car. 5 month old gas, 5 month old oil? Yup that's great for a car!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM
RR5

Spend some quality time one weekend doing:

1) Oil drain/fill. Including oil filter. (Optional, Blackstone oil analysis)
2) Trans fluid drain, fill AND pull off the pan. Get the pan gasket with filter. How those magnets look will tell you if there are problems or not. Get pics.
3) Coolant drain/fill. Pull off the radiator hoses and inspect.
4) Inspect the following
4a) Belts
4b) Spark plugs
4c) Get the FSM and inspect/test the ignition coils

Oil can sit, gasoline can also but there is a gas tank additive for allowing it to sit. Just start the engine weekly.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
Spend some quality time one weekend doing:

1) Oil drain/fill. Including oil filter. (Optional, Blackstone oil analysis)
2) Trans fluid drain, fill AND pull off the pan. Get the pan gasket with filter. How those magnets look will tell you if there are problems or not. Get pics.
3) Coolant drain/fill. Pull off the radiator hoses and inspect.
4) Inspect the following
4a) Belts
4b) Spark plugs
4c) Get the FSM and inspect/test the ignition coils

Oil can sit, gasoline can also but there is a gas tank additive for allowing it to sit. Just start the engine weekly.
Thank you for that I will go through this list asap
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Oil can sit, gasoline can also but there is a gas tank additive for allowing it to sit. Just start the engine weekly.[/QUOTE]

OK, so the guy replaced the oil before he sold me it.. filled up, and a nice gold color to it.

transmission fluid is good doesn't need to be touched, but where is the pan located? and how can i take it off? i will post a pic if i can find it.

that's all i got to so far
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM
RR5

Yup, I am going to point to the FSM LINK>>> http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

The transmission pan is held on by 21 10mm bolts which the FSM says to replace, but I did not. You want to get the pan gasket and filter. The filter/strainer is also held onto the valve body with 10mm bolts but there are three different lengths and also one 10mm nut.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 PM

ill post a picture tomorrow of the engine as well as the magnets... the engine looks brand new.

and can you see my sig? i feel like it keeps getting removed? is it cause im new
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
RR5

Don't see the sig but check in the test forum for that.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8471302

the engine picture in that thread
Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 PM

bro for your sound go to bestbuy. Cartoys if you have one, I dont know where youre from. Im a huge fan of JVC head units. If you were local I'd say bring it to me if you dont know what youre doing
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SNIFFERPIVOTS
bro for your sound go to bestbuy. Cartoys if you have one, I dont know where youre from. Im a huge fan of JVC head units. If you were local I'd say bring it to me if you dont know what youre doing
yeah but is best buy going to whack me for installation? and would they get pissed and lose patience if i dont know much..
Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Banned

WTF? Best buy? Those people are COMPLETE idiots. I can't tell you how many crap installs and HORRIBLE advice I have heard them give out.

Seriously never give audio advice again.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM

yeah but is best buy going to whack me for installation? and would they get pissed and lose patience if i dont know much..
NEVER go to best buy.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM

whoa hey now, I never said go to best buy for installation. What I meant was for the equipment. Maybe I misunderstood that he was looking for an installation shop. I 100% agree dont go there for install. I do installs myself, and have had to fix bestbuys garbage.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM

whoa hey now, I never said go to best buy for installation. What I meant was for the equipment. Maybe I misunderstood that he was looking for an installation shop. I 100% agree dont go there for install. I do installs myself, and have had to fix bestbuys garbage.
ok so ill buy it at bestbuy because i actually live close to one ... can everyone agree on that?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
RR5

It's not hard to install a new stereo. You'll need an adapter to go from factory wiring to the aftermarket stereo. You will lose the steering wheel audio controls unless you do some additional work. The trip button's wire needs to be grounded to the metal bracket holding the stereo, not sure on the color.