5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th gen suspension

I'm looking to drop my 03 max just a bit bout 1 inch. I want a nice comfortable ride, and more handling than stock. Any suggestions?? I'm looking for something to last atleast 50k. I drive only to work and school but I'm a aggressive driver. And I'm also looking for nice rotors. Mine are bad and need change, I'm looking for better braking. Pls help. Thanks Lou..
Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MEDIC32
I'm looking to drop my 03 max just a bit bout 1 inch. I want a nice comfortable ride, and more handling than stock. Any suggestions?? I'm looking for something to last atleast 50k. I drive only to work and school but I'm a aggressive driver. And I'm also looking for nice rotors. Mine are bad and need change, I'm looking for better braking. Pls help. Thanks Lou..
Search and look in the How-To section also there is a section for brakes and suspension read the reviews and dont forget to take advantage of our vendor section and Hungry members for sale section
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Search and look in the How-To section also there is a section for brakes and suspension read the reviews and dont forget to take advantage of our vendor section and Hungry members for sale section
Lol @ Hungry members for sale section.

Also, I must say that I recommend Tein H-Tech springs and KYB struts/shocks. The factory ride quality is almost entirely unaffected, and the drop is a simple aggressive look. cjandura pointed right to where you should go though, there are quite a few options out there, so I would explore them all objectively, and see if you can find what suits you best.

-Nathan
Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM

I feel the same way as you. So ill let you know what im planning and u can take it from there.

I just purchased a set of eibach springs and im changing the strut mounts n bearings Cuz mine are worn.

This website will help u choose the best springs for ur car it helped me
http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

Then i wanna do a brake upgrade so ive decided to use the 6th gen front calipers and ill buy 6th gen rotors there bigger and will look way better being cross drilled and slotted. I recommend www.rockauto.com for the calipers and i recommend brake labs for the rotors, check out brake labs here http://stores.ebay.com/Brakelabs
So ill get the 6th gen front rotors in cross drilled slotted and get the regular size rear rotors in cross drilled slotted and to compliment this setup i choose hawk hps performance pads all around. I think my braking will be pretty nice with this. If you get the calipers u might aswell paint them while theyre not on the car, get some G2 caliper paint its expensive but looks way worth. Check youtube for reviews on the paint, ive used brake labs for many cars they are awesome rotors,check this forum for the 6th gen brake upgrade aswell
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle

Then i wanna do a brake upgrade so ive decided to use the 6th gen front calipers and ill buy 6th gen rotors there bigger and will look way better being cross drilled and slotted.

So ill get the 6th gen front rotors in cross drilled slotted and get the regular size rear rotors in cross drilled slotted and to compliment this setup i choose hawk hps performance pads all around.
Agreed drilled and slotted rotors look fantastic, but keep in mind some of the drawbacks when using them. Check out this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...-not-work.html

I was wanting drilled rotors too until I read the info in that thread along with some other articles.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by MEDIC32
I'm looking to drop my 03 max just a bit bout 1 inch. I want a nice comfortable ride, and more handling than stock. Any suggestions??
Take a look at the great info on this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html

I also highly recommend replacing LCA bushings as well as subframe and motor mounts with ES bushings. This will help stiffen things up. Also get a front strut tower brace (any inexpensive one will do, though people argue the expensive ones are much better), and get a Rear Sway Bar. Actually, GET THE REAR SWAY BAR FIRST! This simple mod makes a huge difference on handling for fairly cheap.

Another thing you can do is install subframe collars, either the DIY ones or the ones made and sold by one of the ORG members here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...e-collars.html

As far as shocks/springs go, my personal choice is Tokico Illuminas and Eibach springs. It's on my list of mods to be done this summer hopefully. They are more expensive, but from all the reviews I think worth it.