5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question regarding stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Question regarding stalling

Hello fellow orgers,
This site has been amazing in getting answers and solutions to your car problems. Thank you all for your help.
My recent trouble is that my car shuts off while I try to coast in neutral while coming to a stop. This happens mainly if I am at a higher gear, 5th or 6th. As soon as I press in the clutch, the rpm comes down to 500 at an uniform rate and the car stalls. If I am at 3rd gear or lower, then no problem. In 4th, it happens only occasionally. I can get the car back running by putting the car back in appropriate gear and releasing the clutch. Otherwise i can start by turning the car off using the key and cranking it up. Every time, the car starts back up right away at the first crank.
No check engine light yet. Where can i get the code read? any autoparts store will do that?? I asked a mechanic shop and they said they charge 100 dollars. Is this the basic code reading or more?
Otherwise, the car runs strong. no power loss or starting issues or anything. The mechanic told that maxima is a performance car and you always need to downshift rather than putting it in neutral. Well the car is fine when I downshift fast, but if it is slow, then the stalling happens.
I am trying to find an answer here.
I read through a lot of threads here on the forum regarding MAF, crank/cam shaft position sensors, IACV,PCV, injection system, alternator eta eta eta.
It would be great if you guys could shortlist my problem based on the symptoms.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Since you don't have the check engine light on, having the codes read probably won't show anything. You can get codes read at most chain type auto parts stores like autozone unless you live in California. There, the auto repair shops got Jerry Brown to make that illegal in the hopes that you will be dumb enought to pay some mechanic $100 to do it.

As far as your problem, does the car idle at all? And at what rpm? I would clean the throttle body. There may be some adjustments that could help. The 2000 and 2001 have a different throttle arrangement from the 2002 and 2003 and you didn't say what year so I won't say anything now.

As far as what the mechanic said about the Maximas being a performance car and downshifting, well - he's so full of **** that it has to be dribbling out of his ears.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM

Thank you dennismik. The car is 03 SE 6 spd.
The car idles perfectly all the time- at startup in the morning, at signals, right after i start it up after the stall...The only time she wants to shut down is when I am driving in 5th or 6th gear and changing to neutral.

The idle when i start her up is 1100 to 1200. After I drive her for a while, depending on how long i've been driving, the rpm comes down to 800 and even 600-650. There is hardly any fluctuation in the tacho.
The previous owner has put KN air filter. He changed the radiator and the clutch slave cylinder. also put bosch platinum spark plugs. But all this service was done quite a while ago and he had no problems like this. I know the person very well and he is not lying about the car.

So you think it is throttle body? please tell me what all i can check/ get it checked before spending big money.
Thank you once again

Last edited by joshmachine; 06-14-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Take off the air cleaner whete it connects to the engine and open the throttle body plate and see if there is junk built up around where the round throttle plate rests in the closed position. If there is, clean it.

You could try and do the idle re-learn process. When the engine is warm, the idle should be be around 650 rpm and not fluxuate. The idle re-learn proceedure is in section EC, page 72 of the 2003 Nissan FSM.

If you don't have the FSM, download it from here:

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/