5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rotor Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Rotor Advice Needed

I have to change my brakes and rotors real soon (Within 2 weeks). I wanted to get some opinions on what rotors i should get. These are my questions:

1) Which is better and which should i get, slotted or drilled rotors?

2) I was going to get Brembos but they only make rear slotted & drilled. What company should i go with for the front rotors?

3) After reading tons of threads and posts i decided to get the Hawk HPS pads. Good idea?

I tried getting opinions from people at stores and other places, but i rather have the opinion of actual drivers and not the sales people looking to get a commission! I don't do any track racing, but i do like to run at high speeds in the night, and i need the best sopping power as i live by tons of a**hole drivers! (Sunday is everyday by me!!) Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 PM

http://www.shiftice.com/brake_choice.html
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

I picked up a set of the new version of Centric rotors, they have more cooling fins and are made of a combination of metals that provides cooler rotor temps. and better braking response, but last longer than usual rotors.

Make sure the first three digits are 125. this is for the new style, it took three weeks to get mine, but yours could be in stock already, check with tire rack I know they carry them.

I sourced mine locally and that's why it took so long.

If you are not doing any kind of racing, track days, or Auto X then the cross drilled/slotted will serve you just fine and give you the "look" if that is what you like. But if you are doing any of the above activities than I would buy solid rotors as the cross drilled don't help braking any and they get small cracks around the holes causing failure.

Hawk HPS pads are supposed to be very good, it's what I got for the rear of my car and I may be getting them for the front as well before I go ahead and do the big install.

Last edited by back2basics; 06-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 AM

This is by far the most straight forward info on the brakes & rotors. Thanks for info.

Originally Posted by djshwini
Going to check those centric rotors today. I'm not to concerned about look, im more about performance! Thanks for the info. Somebody else told me about the centrics also.

Originally Posted by back2basics
I picked up a set of the new version of Centric rotors, they have more cooling fins and are made of a combination of metals that provides cooler rotor temps. and better braking response, but last longer than usual rotors.

Make sure the first three digits are 125. this is for the new style, it took three weeks to get mine, but yours could be in stock already, check with tire rack I know they carry them.

I sourced mine locally and that's why it took so long.

If you are not doing any kind of racing, track days, or Auto X then the cross drilled/slotted will serve you just fine and give you the "look" if that is what you like. But if you are doing any of the above activities than I would buy solid rotors as the cross drilled don't help braking any and they get small cracks around the holes causing failure.

Hawk HPS pads are supposed to be very good, it's what I got for the rear of my car and I may be getting them for the front as well before I go ahead and do the big install.
How about the slotted/drilled combo? Anybody use? More noise than blanks?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-19-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rs-thread.html
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I recently got the front rotors for my 2003 from brakelabs: power sport (slotted only). Personal preference has always been slotted only. Always felt a difference and have maintained great pad wear life. Still have on my '89 turbo the same front and rear slotted rotors from like 8 years ago, turned only once after being low on cash and installed cheap autozone pads. Personally, I just run stock Nissan pads. Great stopping and wear for my driving habits.

You know your driving/ braking better, I leave that to you for further research to make your decision.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 06-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 AM

I recently put on Brembo blanks on the front with StopTech (Axxis Ultimate) pads front and rear. For me personally, I always flush the brake fluid at the same time and put in ATE Super Blue. Pretty much the best fluid you can get IMHO and you know when you're all flushed out because the brown juice coming out turns blue. Then just make sure you bed the new pads to the new rotors properly and you will absolutely love it!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Are there any extra noise with the slotted vs. your oem's?

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I recently got the front rotors for my 2003 from brakelabs: power sport (slotted only). Personal preference has always been slotted only. Always felt a difference and have maintained great pad wear life. Still have on my '89 turbo the same front and rear slotted rotors from like 8 years ago, turned only once after being low on cash and installed cheap autozone pads. Personally, I just run stock Nissan pads. Great stopping and wear for my driving habits.

You know your driving/ braking better, I leave that to you for further research to make your decision.
Gonna check out that ATE fluid. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Galactica
I recently put on Brembo blanks on the front with StopTech (Axxis Ultimate) pads front and rear. For me personally, I always flush the brake fluid at the same time and put in ATE Super Blue. Pretty much the best fluid you can get IMHO and you know when you're all flushed out because the brown juice coming out turns blue. Then just make sure you bed the new pads to the new rotors properly and you will absolutely love it!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-27-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I seem to have noticed a low huuummmmmmm when braking on both 3rd gen and when put the slotted onto the front of my 5.5 gen. Noting
Huge and I only hear it when I focus in on it. My headers, y, and 3" catback seem to drown it the hmmmm anymore! LOL!!
No other noises.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 PM

I've always bought a good pad and replaced rotors each time with cheap Chinese ones. No rotor machining for me.

I think if you do not drive hard, the OEM pads are the best option. They fit to Nissan tolerances, and if you clean everything and lube the moving areas properly, they won't make noise and will last. I'm riding on a set of Wagner ThermoQuiets, and while the pad life is awesome, they squeal like mad because they don't meet Nissan tolerances, and I had to apply silicone to the pad backings to avoid the pads banging around against the rotors. Other aftermarket brands may do the same.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg

i can second the recommendation for brakelabs, ive spent the extra money before on brembos and honestly, i like my brakelabs rotors better, they feel great, no warping, my friends have used them aswell. i put them in every car i work on. pair those rotors with the hawk hps pads and you cant go wrong. i've used cross drilled slotted, never had a problem. just a tip, brakelabs has a website and a ebay store, their ebay store is cheaper by a few dollars.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Will check this out today. So i am going to stick with the Hawk HPS and get some slotted/drilled rotors. Still debating on the brand. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
i can second the recommendation for brakelabs, ive spent the extra money before on brembos and honestly, i like my brakelabs rotors better, they feel great, no warping, my friends have used them aswell. i put them in every car i work on. pair those rotors with the hawk hps pads and you cant go wrong. i've used cross drilled slotted, never had a problem. just a tip, brakelabs has a website and a ebay store, their ebay store is cheaper by a few dollars.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM

I recently put on Powerslot slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and SS brake lines all around!! couldn't be happier. Very grabby and quiet brakes!