5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS/TCS lights on, NO speedo, or Odometer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 AM

ABS/TCS lights on, NO speedo, or Odometer.

I have searched and not really found a lot, but at the same time as all of those lights the car is kicking out 4 codes... P1212, U1001, P0500 and finally P1574.
I AM aware of what the codes mean I am not worried about that. What I've done so far--- pretty much pull EVERY single ground off, cleaned the contact area, as well as cleaning of the ring, cleaned all harness plugs, and dropped some contact grease on the plugs. Tested every single abs sensor, which they all check into spec, tested my Vehicle Speed Sensor which checks into spec... While talking to one of the mechanics from where is work he printed out all the wiring diagrams for in between the ABS module, TCM AND ECU which was a HUGE help, and helped me get to where I am now... Pretty much the car ONLY does this when its hot, which leads me to believe that I actually DO have a short in the CAN comm lines between one of these computers. I figured out that the ABS modulator is pretty much talking to itself because I hook it up to the diode tester and it bounces back to me, and no other harnesses bounce back and give the same reading. Which PAINS me because I know I pretty much have to disassemble my entire dash, take the harness apart where it splits between the TCM and ABS modulator which is going to SUCK. I wasn't paying ANY dealer 165 dollars an hour for all consult 2 work because I am a cheapo... But on the other hand I HAVE figured It out by myself which I am very happy and proud about...
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Okay, sooo found out exactly where the short IS just haven't had the time to totally disassemble my dash, and test it out... There is a super multiple junction right behind the inside fuse panel that either has a short on the main harness, or a short in the engine harness... Will update more WITH some pictures tomorrow when I take it all apart.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Okay, so after spending 5 or 6 hours trying to diagnose this issue... While looking at the FSM online and testing my abs module, I was reading what happens when a module goes bad in a couple other vehicles that use the Bosch unit and LOW and behold its EXACTLY the issues I am having, so naturally I cursed and swore a couple times put everything back together.

Just wondering from some of you guys who've owned the cars for a bit more than myself, is it possible for ME to change out the abs module without removing, and or draining any brake fluid, send it off for rebuild and continue driving my vehicle???
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 PM

I'm having same exact issue - Is it abs ?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM

I see that this effects all Nissan models as I found info on some truck forums. No solutions though.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 PM

I start off with no lights for about 10 mins. Then The ABS and TCS off comes on and speedo drops off. If I stop and turn ignition on I get ATS flashing. If I start again the ABS and TCS stays on but AT goes off.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM

I've got the same issue going on...Only Fuel/Temp gauges are working. My Odo/Trip meter is fked too its reading like 518000 miles lol

So far I have tested the wiring for the instrument panel to ecu and power and all is good. Tomorrow Im gonna hit the ABS/speed sensors and hopefully figure this out.

If that fails I plan on swapping the gauge cluster.

Paradiddle: Not sure if you got it already but download the FSM here http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

your gonna wanna start with the EL pdf at page 117 and also EC pdf at page like 444
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Toolie

The ABS is full if brake fluid, so you will lose a little bit when you remove the unit, then you will have to bleed all 4 brake lines.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 AM

Nice - I'm using that to find the grounds also.....
Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM

I've actually found the issue with mine... the ABS/TCS module is dead, and what happens is that when it "heats" up after driving the wire soldered inside seperates from the board... have my new mudule coming in by tuesday, and will pull apart my old one and I will show you what I mean. This is a VERY common problem with the Bosch units and you can't buy just the module from the dealer which blows, you have to buy the entire pump as a unit at over 800 bucks.... eff that!! You dont have to bleed anything while taking off the module it doesnt touch into the hydraulic lines of the pump which is nice.