5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 maxima tune up

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 AM

02 maxima tune up

Greetings, my 02 max has 112k miles on it, bought it at 110k and the seller told me he didn't remember last time he did a tune up. He is what I'm planning on replacing

Brakes
Oil filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Oil change

My questions are, I'm reading about cabin filters, when I search cabin filter it comes up as cabin air filter. Are the cabin filter and air filter the same part? I know for spark plugs to buy ngk laser platinum. What are the best brands to buy for the other parts I need? Beside the parts That are listed what else do you recommend I should replace? When I went to autozone to buy brakes they asked me wheater my brakes had 1 or 2 sensors, however when I went to buy brakes online I didn't receive that option. Does having 1 or 2 sensor matter wheb buying brakes? Also do you recommend semi metallic, ceramic or organic? I was also advised that I should replace my oil with 5W30, wanted to confirm of that was correct.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Good simple tune up list.

Oil Filter & Oil
These are changed out every 3,000 to 7,500 based on what type of oil you use - regular or synthetic. I use PureOne oil filters with Castrol Edge w/ Syntec oil (10W30). Nissan recommends the 5W30 oil for the VQ35 engine. However if you don't know, these engines are known to burn oil. Many people have gone with thicker weight to reduce the loss, for example 10W30. You can read up on the threads. Because I lose about 1 quart every 1,500 miles, I'm thinking about just going back to regular 10W30. This engine is just eating up money ...

Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter
The 5.5 gen Max have a cabin air filter in the glove compartment. If you take the compartment out, there's a filter in the back which collects dead leaves and dust before air enters your cabin. This is different from the air filter in the engine bay and the cabin air filter. I changed it out both with the Wix Air Filter 'cause it was the cheapest out of the better quality filters. People may disagree but I just think they're filters. Check our www.filter1.com if you want Wix filters.

Fuel Filter
The fuel filter for the 5.5 Max are "meant" to last lifetime - whatever that means. Obviously, nothing lasts forever so it's good to change it out. I haven't on my Max since I only have about 94K. Maybe I will much later like 150K.

I suggest changing out all oils like power steering, brake (since you're working on your brakes anyways), and antifreeze as well.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by max_pusher
Good simple tune up list.

Oil Filter & Oil
These are changed out every 3,000 to 7,500 based on what type of oil you use - regular or synthetic. I use PureOne oil filters with Castrol Edge w/ Syntec oil (10W30). Nissan recommends the 5W30 oil for the VQ35 engine. However if you don't know, these engines are known to burn oil. Many people have gone with thicker weight to reduce the loss, for example 10W30. You can read up on the threads. Because I lose about 1 quart every 1,500 miles, I'm thinking about just going back to regular 10W30. This engine is just eating up money ...

Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter
The 5.5 gen Max have a cabin air filter in the glove compartment. If you take the compartment out, there's a filter in the back which collects dead leaves and dust before air enters your cabin. This is different from the air filter in the engine bay and the cabin air filter. I changed it out both with the Wix Air Filter 'cause it was the cheapest out of the better quality filters. People may disagree but I just think they're filters. Check our www.filter1.com if you want Wix filters.

Fuel Filter
The fuel filter for the 5.5 Max are "meant" to last lifetime - whatever that means. Obviously, nothing lasts forever so it's good to change it out. I haven't on my Max since I only have about 94K. Maybe I will much later like 150K.

I suggest changing out all oils like power steering, brake (since you're working on your brakes anyways), and antifreeze as well.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your very quick and detailed response, much appreciated
Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM
^ Jeff™

Tune Up would include spark plugs, no? IIRC the plugs are platinums lasting 60,000 miles.

When you change the plugs, pay special attention to the plug closest to the driver. The rear valve cover seal fails on 5th gens letting oil into the spark plug tube.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Tagged for interest - im a newbie but want to learn the basics with this car so i will follow thread closely

**edit**
did my air filter, oil change (with new air filter of course), spark plugs 72$ with a new oil pan lol
car runs better already, old plugs were burn down. I am linking this maintenance thing lol can't wait to get some tips on some nasty bumper scratches removal that came when i bought the car

Last edited by MTLean; 07-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.