5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 AM

Radio problem

Hello guys, I got a problem with my radio in my 02 max. The radio is oem and sometimes there is no music while I'm driving. The radio would work for like a few minutes and after a while of driving, the sound would just cut off. When I press the tape button , it would say "err" u guys dink I need a new radio? Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by itsmikoxp
Hello guys, I got a problem with my radio in my 02 max. The radio is oem and sometimes there is no music while I'm driving. The radio would work for like a few minutes and after a while of driving, the sound would just cut off. When I press the tape button , it would say "err" u guys dink I need a new radio? Thanks
Do you have Bose or not?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 AM

It not Bose, and after a few minutes of driving, the sound would come back on, and this repeats. It's so annoying
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

It's actually very possible for this to be a speaker issue rather than the radio itself. As I understand it, most radio's, including Nissan radios, have a sort of fail-safe to keep the radio from frying in the event that a speaker becomes grounded.

I would check each of the speakers to make sure they're in good order, including the wiring, or maybe just replace all the speakers with a good set of aftermarkets and get an even better sound. Whichever way you go, it's usually a good idea to test before you replace, so you're not spending money where money isn't due.

-Nathan
Old 07-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
It's actually very possible for this to be a speaker issue rather than the radio itself. As I understand it, most radio's, including Nissan radios, have a sort of fail-safe to keep the radio from frying in the event that a speaker becomes grounded.

I would check each of the speakers to make sure they're in good order, including the wiring, or maybe just replace all the speakers with a good set of aftermarkets and get an even better sound. Whichever way you go, it's usually a good idea to test before you replace, so you're not spending money where money isn't due.

-Nathan
Thanks! That's great advice. I will double check the speakers but the reason why I thought it was the radio that was bad was because of the "err" that pops out when i click on the tape button when the sound is gone. I couldn't think of any reason why it would say err beside that it broken
Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.
That's funny.. I think I heard the same sound you did..

itmikoxp - If you've got a little spare cash you can use, this would be a great opportunity to upgrade from the rather pisspoor factory audio system. Some new speakers and a new head unit would do wonders, if for no other reason than reliability. Lol. Your factory head unit might not be the problem this time, but it probably won't be long before it too decides it's not long for this world. Hehe.

-Nathan
Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've got another stocker that I'll sell for cheap.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
That's funny.. I think I heard the same sound you did..

itmikoxp - If you've got a little spare cash you can use, this would be a great opportunity to upgrade from the rather pisspoor factory audio system. Some new speakers and a new head unit would do wonders, if for no other reason than reliability. Lol. Your factory head unit might not be the problem this time, but it probably won't be long before it too decides it's not long for this world. Hehe.

-Nathan
What aftermarket radio do you recommend? I'm not familiar with that
Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by itsmikoxp
What aftermarket radio do you recommend? I'm not familiar with that
I've always been particularly fond of Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, and Kenwood, but there are a lot of options out there. If you're not real serious about having perfect sound quality, and all of the other stuff that audio buffs look for, you can come out pretty cheap with something decent for your tastes.

I highly recommend going to crutchfield.com and browsing through their site and seeing which head unit catches your eye the most. That will allow you to look at all kinds of options at once, and make sure they're in your price range. I wouldn't buy from crutchfield though, they're not as competitively priced as they claim to be, you can find much better deals even on Amazon.

Ditto for the speakers, shop around on crutchfield, find what you like, price shop.

My personal preference on speakers has been Infinity component speakers (though the new ones seem to be a bit lacking in quality compared to the ones from several years ago). Other than that, Eclipse is arguably one of the best speakers out there, but they're a bit pricey. Depending on your budget and how much you care, you can go with an inexpensive set of Pioneer speakers and get a decent, reliable sound, or you can splurge on some Eclipse, Focal, or Polk.

Anyways, long post, but hopefully it was informative. Also, you can search here on the forum to see what some of the other guys are running. They've had their 5th gens a lot longer than I have, and some of them have some great sound systems. Plus, you might be able to find some help with install, and getting the best quality install parts for the best price.

-Nathan
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Suspension Yoda

It's the radio, not the speakers.

There's a known bad solder joint on the board of the radio.

Replace with aftermarket. It will make your existing stock speakers sound better.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:01 AM

So I have been looking at crutchfield.com for radios and I come down to two different radios and I Wana get your opinions guys.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XHD6...er-reviews-tab
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...5.html?tp=5684
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 AM

Dual? You must be serious....
Kenwood... Yes
Old 07-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Suspension Yoda

I agree with staying away from Dual. Also stay away from Sony.

Kenwood/Eclipse/Alpine/Pioneer are all good brands.