5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAF Replaced, Still No Improvement. I'm Stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012 | 11:56 PM

MAF Replaced, Still No Improvement. I'm Stumped.

Two months ago I finally got around to addressing the SES light on my 2000 GLE. I've posted on the .org a few times about it, and I think I've fixed all the issues that triggered the SES, but it's still running like s**t. The code was P1320, but occassionally a P0171 and P0174 would appear.

Back in May I took it to a Nissan dealership. Not only did they not fix the problem, they made it a hell of a lot worse. When I brought it in, it had an occassional stalling while idiling issue. They "supposedly" tried changing out the ignition coils to fix the SES and it didn't work. So, they returned the car to me. When I got it back and took it home, it ran horribly and was really screwed up. The whole car shook violently and smelled like rotten eggs. I took a look under the hood and saw that they had left two of the six coils disconnected. I reconnected them and ran it again, and it ran somewhat better, but the performance had decreased overall and now started having issues. It would not rev pass 2500, it hesitates, and bucks when accelerating.

A couple weeks later, I noticed one of the coils did not have the gray sticker on it. So I replaced it myself. To my amazement, the P1320 disappeared! The dealership lied, and probably never touched the coils.

But, this didn't solve the performance issue. I did some research on here, and the most common cause of other members having the same issues is the Mass Air Flow Sensor. So, I replaced that today. I also left the battery disconnected for several hours to reset the ECU. I took it out on the road, and to my disappoinment, there was no noticable improvement The P0171 hasn't come on, but it could come back.

Since getting it back from the dealership, I also constantly hear a hissing sound while accelerating. If it's not hissing, then there is another sound that is like a squealing sound. Both only occur during acceleration. Also, I've heard that I should take it to a dealership to have the ECU reprogrammed to work with the new MAF. Would that help?
Old 07-11-2012 | 08:32 AM

Knighty_yyz brought up something i didnt know, that the new replacement MAFS for the 2000/2001 need programming by nissan. It's actually the ECU that needs programming ot accept the 'updated' MAFS that is now in circuilation.

A new/replacement mafs for the 2000/2001 NEEDS to be calibrated by the dealer, is the long and short of his message.
Old 07-11-2012 | 12:28 PM

so ur saying only the dealers magic wand can make the maf work?? what will we do now...........
Old 07-11-2012 | 02:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
so ur saying only the dealers magic wand can make the maf work?? what will we do now...........
Different dealer for sure, although, it's still going to be expensive. Minimum 30 minute charge = 65 bucks after tax

That **** should be free or next to it.
Old 07-11-2012 | 07:41 PM

so when u put this maf in your car and you barely drive it into the dealership, what do you say to the service desk?
Old 07-12-2012 | 03:28 PM

Today I took it to another Nissan dealership to have the ECU reprogrammed. After about an hour, they told me that the ECM "blew up" while they were doing it. They're replacing it for free, but it will take until Saturday Accidents happen I suppose, but my luck really sucks lately.
Old 07-12-2012 | 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
so when u put this maf in your car and you barely drive it into the dealership, what do you say to the service desk?
Just say you've replaced the MAF and would like the ECU reprogrammed. Your new MAF should have come with a peice of paper. They might ask for that.
Old 07-12-2012 | 03:51 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by gavin68
Today I took it to another Nissan dealership to have the ECU reprogrammed. After about an hour, they told me that the ECM "blew up" while they were doing it. They're replacing it for free, but it will take until Saturday Accidents happen I suppose, but my luck really sucks lately.
W. T. F.

Assuming (hoping) they don't mess something up, maybe a new ECU will fix it
Old 08-28-2012 | 02:46 PM

sorry to hear about your dearer issues. I just got finished dealing with the dealer here in Nampa, ID. It's no wonder that almost everyone hates the dealers. I love NISSAN's and always have but I got to tell you.....if someone told me that there was a manufacturer that had honest dealerships.....I would switch over to that brand. But, that's just not realistic.

So, I am thinking to replace my MAF sensor also. Are you folks saying that IF I replace my MAF sensor, the dealer will need to reprogram my ECU to make the new MAF sensor work properly?

I am thinking of replacing it since a few people on another one of my posts have suggested to do that to possibly resolve the sluggish performance and hesitation between 3000-3500 rpm's.
Old 08-28-2012 | 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jontay
sorry to hear about your dearer issues. I just got finished dealing with the dealer here in Nampa, ID. It's no wonder that almost everyone hates the dealers. I love NISSAN's and always have but I got to tell you.....if someone told me that there was a manufacturer that had honest dealerships.....I would switch over to that brand. But, that's just not realistic.

So, I am thinking to replace my MAF sensor also. Are you folks saying that IF I replace my MAF sensor, the dealer will need to reprogram my ECU to make the new MAF sensor work properly?

I am thinking of replacing it since a few people on another one of my posts have suggested to do that to possibly resolve the sluggish performance and hesitation between 3000-3500 rpm's.
Myself, and several others on this board, have replaced their MAFs over the years and did not have a reprogram at the dealer. Mine has been fine for 8 years without having the ECU reprogramed, so don't know if it is really necessary.
Old 08-28-2012 | 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sascuderi
Myself, and several others on this board, have replaced their MAFs over the years and did not have a reprogram at the dealer. Mine has been fine for 8 years without having the ECU reprogramed, so don't know if it is really necessary.
I've been hearing that Nissan's newer MAFS require ECU reprogramming. They did this for me (obviously I went to a different dealership). Plus, When I got the part it came with a warning that the ECU needs to be reprogrammed. I'm guessing they're designing them differently now so they don't suck? Who knows.

To follow up on this thread, I drove about 100-ish miles and suddenly the engine started to run a million times better. I guess there was a relearn process with the new/reprogrammed.

Ssadcuderi, just curious, did your new MAF come with a green sticker and/or a yellow mark on the sensor?
Old 08-29-2012 | 07:06 PM

let me go out and look
Old 08-29-2012 | 07:11 PM

the new one that I installed a few years ago on my 2000 I30 is number 22680-2Y001 and has a green dot on the MAF tube
Old 08-31-2012 | 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by gavin68
I've been hearing that Nissan's newer MAFS require ECU reprogramming. They did this for me (obviously I went to a different dealership). Plus, When I got the part it came with a warning that the ECU needs to be reprogrammed. I'm guessing they're designing them differently now so they don't suck? Who knows.

To follow up on this thread, I drove about 100-ish miles and suddenly the engine started to run a million times better. I guess there was a relearn process with the new/reprogrammed.

Ssadcuderi, just curious, did your new MAF come with a green sticker and/or a yellow mark on the sensor?
Glad to hear, wonder if it was the MAF or the ECU...but free is always good on the New ECU.....
Old 08-31-2012 | 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Different dealer for sure, although, it's still going to be expensive. Minimum 30 minute charge = 65 bucks after tax

That **** should be free or next to it.
Out here they charge 97 bucks just to see whats up...so you will most likely pay that for the reprogram.......
Old 09-02-2012 | 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know I'm newer here but I'm a Ford tech, but an aspiring Nissan tech, when I bought my 96 se it had a bad hesitation on heavy acceleration. I know how simple it sounds, but check your plugs..... My acted just like a maf. Set of ngks and it runs like a raped ape.
Old 09-04-2012 | 06:27 PM

I took mines to the stealership twice... one said maf the other says O2 sensor and maf reading high....WTF!!!!!
Old 09-04-2012 | 06:31 PM

BTW....bank 2 sensor installed for $350 part @ $225. Maf, filter and relearn $250!!! What to do????
Old 09-04-2012 | 07:24 PM

Run away from that place...
Old 09-05-2012 | 03:01 PM

Stealership says Bank 1 #2 sensor is reading 0.0 (nothing..not working) I did read it ranges from 0.0-0.5! The package for the MaF (22680-2Y001) does state to do a relearn by the stealership. LOST ON WHAT TO DO!!!!
Old 09-05-2012 | 03:18 PM

The sensor was like $100 and I did it myself. In fact, that may have been the first job I ever did on a car by myself...ever. I have never done an MAF swap yet. From the reading many people did not do the relearn after the swap. I do know that they came out with another MAF that has a label saying a relearn is required. Again, I don't know if you HAVE to. Hopefully someone that has been there chimes in.
Old 09-06-2012 | 01:13 PM

Changed Maf and filter...no relearn and P0171 came back!!! Aaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhrrrrrr!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2012 | 02:00 PM

There is a way to do the relearn by doing some sort of pedal dance and stuff. Its annoying from what I read but it is free. I would find the link but I am at work.
Old 09-06-2012 | 05:10 PM

I also have a 2000 gle... I've not had to do a relearn at the stealership, BUUUUTTTT.... for all you '00-'01 fellas, I have noticed that anytime you disconnect the maf and/or the connector on that little blue thing, the car will always run like crap at first. I actually went to the last meet with the car running like pooh, since I had just replaced the upper and lower IM gaskets and knock sensor. Here's the trick, it's worked for me every time! Do an idle relearn... it's magic! Word of warning though... these little boogers are stubborn! I think it took us like 8, if not 9 tries before the relearn took. Do a search for the correct idle relearn procedure for your year. '00-'01's use the tps disconnect method and '02-'03's use the pedal dance method.
Another thing, you WILL notice when the relearn finally takes, it's noticeable... after you do the relearn, your car may still run a little weird, but once the computer relearns all the parameters, it'll be really nice!
Oh, and don't underestimate the power of a good tune-up and a Seafoam treatment. I hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2012 | 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PBMAXX
Changed Maf and filter...no relearn and P0171 came back!!! Aaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhrrrrrr!!!!!!

After I changed the MAFS, the light for P0171 and P0174 went away. But, it still ran like crap until I got it reprogrammed. I think you might have something else going on.
Old 09-06-2012 | 06:23 PM

Thanks!!! For everyone's input. I'll keep you posted!!
Old 09-08-2012 | 09:20 AM

Pushed 130 miles and the code is back. Maxx runs like a scalded dog!!!! Now time to work on the O2 sensor!!! The dealer did do the idle air relearn and updated the ecm with the new program according to the new maf instructions!!!
Old 09-09-2012 | 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by PBMAXX
Pushed 130 miles and the code is back. Maxx runs like a scalded dog!!!! Now time to work on the O2 sensor!!! The dealer did do the idle air relearn and updated the ecm with the new program according to the new maf instructions!!!

Besides a faulty MAF and/or O2 Sensor, there are several other things that can trigger a P0171. Here's something to look at about that code: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171. You may want to let your engine idle and listen to it to make sure there aren't any loose hoses. Sometimes a leaky hose can cause this. If you haven't checked or changed your fuel filter recently, now would be a good time to do so. A dirty or clogged fuel filter can also cause that code.