5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starting Issues

For the past month my 2000 Maxima SE VQ30DE-K has been having starting issues. I have had 2 different Advanced Autos test the Battery, Alt, and Starter from the computer while they are still in the car. All tested as good. No check engine light, I am at a loss.

Ok here is what it’s doing.
At first it would act like it didn’t want to start but would. I found that if I rev the motor a little before I shut it down it would start without any issues.
Over the last few days it doesn’t want to start at all. I turn the key and no clicking from the starter. I wait a sec turn it again and it trys to start with no success. I wait another sec and turn the key and it fires but barely. I wait a min shut it down then turn the key and nothing. When it’s been driving down the road there’s no hesitation in the petal at take off or at any speed, it doesn’t pulsate or act like it wants to die.

The windows, lights, and HAVC fan works. It has started a few times but now I am not wanting to start it incase it’s the last time or I get stranded. In the last year I have replaced the Coils, sparkplugs, wires, Alt, and Battery.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM

don't rule out the starter! I had my alternator, battery, and starter tested at advance one morning and the starter died that afternoon. To me it sounds like your starter has gone bad but your ignition switch could be a possibility too. Those are the two things I'd start with testing. You can google ways to test both of those parts.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
don't rule out the starter! I had my alternator, battery, and starter tested at advance one morning and the starter died that afternoon. To me it sounds like your starter has gone bad but your ignition switch could be a possibility too. Those are the two things I'd start with testing. You can google ways to test both of those parts.
Agreed with BigLou55. Also check all your ground wires. Starting problems could be caused by numerous things. Feel free to check my threads. I've been troubleshooting my starting problem for a while now but I've got a good feelings it is my FPR.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks I took the starter out and had Advanced Auto bench test it. It blew their breaker twice so there was some crazy Amp draw. I replaced it and its starting like a champ now!! Thanks for your help!!

I have just one more question. When I was removing the starter I noticed there was a hose that came off the top of the Trans. It runs up towards the ram air part of the airbox but doesn’t terminate anywhere. I looked to see if I had a loose vacuumed hose port in that area but found nothing. Could this be a Trans Vent? It seems to be routed correctly given the bends in the hose and from the looks of it is not been connected to anything for a while.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM

yeah that's a breather...don't worry about that