5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Broken Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 04:29 PM

Broken Antenna

With the weather getting colder here in MD, I discovered that the rear defroster interferes with (completely f's up) the radio. A trip to the local Nissan dealer revealed that the antenna is broken and the whole back window will have to be replaced. The glass just came in today and I'm not sure if it will be a warranty replacement. If anyone has experienced this problem let me know if Nissan paid for it.

The TSB posts are great. I like the look on the service technician's face when I mention them.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:44 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Broken Antenna

why would that not be a warranty item? Unless you're over miles or months, everything is a warranty item. I live in NH and cold has done some weird stuff to my vehicle (ford f-150, no flames, the max comes in march) and I've been able to talk them into fixing everything that's gone wrong as a warranty item.

if that dealer doesn't go for it, it might be worth a trip to another dealer for the free fix. I had to drive 100 miles to get one transmission issue fixed for free... long story.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:37 PM

Thats crazy i live in nj and its getting cold here too but i don't have any problems like that and i hpe i never do
Old 01-07-2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Rich5Spd2K
With the weather getting colder here in MD, I discovered that the rear defroster interferes with (completely f's up) the radio. A trip to the local Nissan dealer revealed that the antenna is broken and the whole back window will have to be replaced. The glass just came in today and I'm not sure if it will be a warranty replacement. If anyone has experienced this problem let me know if Nissan paid for it.

The TSB posts are great. I like the look on the service technician's face when I mention them.
Do you keep your car outside? Maybe ice/snow had something to do with it.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That sucks....
Old 01-08-2002, 05:04 PM

The Service manager acted like it would not be covered because my back window was tinted. I dropped the car off tonight to get the glass put in and the weatherstripping TSB completed. The service guy said the glass is covered by the warranty but I will have to pay for the re-tint, which is a helluva lot cheaper. The car is kept outside but I don't know what caused the problem. If I was listening to the radio and hit the rear defroster button, the radio would be all static. I will let everyone know if the new glass fixes the problem.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:49 PM

Rich I dont know how the hell your antenna got broken, I mean it is on the INSIDE of the window, so it gots nothing to do with your car being outside to the elements of snow or ice.

Now the only thing I can conclude is since you mentioned the window was tinted, I think the TINTER did it. He probably cut the edge of the tint during the final touchup when he put the tint on the inside of the window. Some Tinters actually do this, they cut off excess, but this should never be done on a back window.

So I think when he was cutting off the excess he just may have cut the ANTENNA lines. I am almost 100% sure on this, cause there is NO other way it can be broken.

Dixit
Old 01-08-2002, 05:53 PM

The Service manager acted like it would not be covered because my back window was tinted. I dropped the car off tonight to get the glass put in and the weatherstripping TSB completed. The service guy said the glass is covered by the warranty but I will have to pay for the re-tint, which is a helluva lot cheaper. The car is kept outside but I don't know what caused the problem. If I was listening to the radio and hit the rear defroster button, the radio would be all static. I will let everyone know if the new glass fixes the problem.
You are lucky they replaced the antenna under warranty. The
antenna is in the inside of the vehicle. No ice/snow/rain can affect
it. The tinting job was the culprit here.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:37 PM

The tinter makes sense as the culprit. I told the service manager that if Nissan doesn't cover the glass due to tinting, the back glass was not tinted. I still need to get the window tinted again. I guess I will have to tell the tinter to be xtra careful with the rear glass. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:42 PM

The tinter makes sense as the culprit. I told the service manager that if Nissan doesn't cover the glass due to tinting, the back glass was not tinted. I still need to get the window tinted again. I guess I will have to tell the tinter to be xtra careful with the rear glass. Thanks for the replies.
Well I say if they dont cover it, go back to the TINTER and make him pay for it.

Simple
Old 01-08-2002, 07:26 PM

call and ask if its covered under warranty, if not find a dealer that does cover it under warranty. Nissan warrants your car not the dealer.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

of course it's a warranty item!!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:28 PM

What yall dont some to understand is that if the dealer can prove that this was done due to negligence of the owner or someone else, it IS NOT covered under warranty.

That means he would have to take the claim up with the Tinter. I mean the dealer can easily prove that by showing the owner of the car the clear "cut" marks across the antenna lines that were caused by the improper installation of the tint by the tinter.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:06 PM

I just got the car back tonight. The rear glass was replaced under warranty I am certain that the antenna was damaged as a result of the tint. I will probably wait until summer to get the re-tint done and will definitely make sure they don't F it up again. I also got the rear window weatherstripping TSB completed. The "do I have a window down?" sound is almost completely gone above 40 mph. The dealer also threw in a set of windshield wiper blades for free. I know some people have to duke it out with their service techs to get things done but I have no complaints. Well, they did leave the car outside with the windows down (it had been raining)

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:50 PM

Rich, I also live in MD, and my rear glass needs replacement. My defroster lines are f**ed-up, cut when removing tint. I went to Len Stoler Nissan in Owings Mills, and they tech actually checked every damn strip. The denied it'll be replaced under wtty. The new glass costs about $400+install. Which dealership did you go to, give bro a hookup:-)
Old 01-09-2002, 09:31 PM

Re: Re: Broken Antenna

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

Rich, I also live in MD, and my rear glass needs replacement. My defroster lines are f**ed-up, cut when removing tint. I went to Len Stoler Nissan in Owings Mills, and they tech actually checked every damn strip. The denied it'll be replaced under wtty. The new glass costs about $400+install. Which dealership did you go to, give bro a hookup:-)
Damn crazy peeps in DC area. I live in Laurel right now. We need to get a DC get together, guess we have to wait till it gets warmer.

Nauman, we need to setup up something.

Dixit
Old 01-10-2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

I go to Sheehy Nissan on Rt. 2, up here in the glorious white trash mecca of Glen Burnie. I have not had any problems with them as far as getting TSBs completed and other service done. They sometimes forget things such as replacing the oil change sticker, but I have no complaints. I usually deal with Jody. Don't come up here on a Friday or Saturday night unless you really want to race some riced up Honda with some high school kid geekin' on Meth
Old 01-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Now did the raido only get static when you turned on the rear defrost? I have this problem as well. I don't think it's the tinter's fault because I only get static when I pop on the rear defrost. Now if the tinter did damage the antenna then reception should be bad all the time. I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe the tint itself. This was discussed a while back and quite a few peeps had this issue.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive

Now did the raido only get static when you turned on the rear defrost? I have this problem as well. I don't think it's the tinter's fault because I only get static when I pop on the rear defrost. Now if the tinter did damage the antenna then reception should be bad all the time. I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe the tint itself. This was discussed a while back and quite a few peeps had this issue.
The radio was only static when I turned on the rear defroster. I don't know if the radio reception would be poor all the time. Living btwn Baltimore and DC, there are a lot of high powered radio stations. I thought that the tint was possibly causing the defroster to "ground out" the radio antenna. I don't remember seeing any posts about this. It's worth a search though. The dealer definitely said it was a broken antenna. I guess I won't really know the problem is fixed until after I get the window re-tinted.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Broken Antenna

I go to Sheehy Nissan on Rt. 2, up here in the glorious white trash mecca of Glen Burnie. I have not had any problems with them as far as getting TSBs completed and other service done. They sometimes forget things such as replacing the oil change sticker, but I have no complaints. I usually deal with Jody. Don't come up here on a Friday or Saturday night unless you really want to race some riced up Honda with some high school kid geekin' on Meth
thanks Rich, I know where is Sheehy Nissan. So, what should I tell Jody? I have an aftermarket headunit, so not sure if my lies of poor radio reception will be taken seriously...my defroster lines are all cut, just have to take a closer look. How can I lie myself out of this to get a free window replacement?