5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Shock absorbers

I have a 2000 I30 with 79,000, which I am told contains about all the same mechanical parts as a 2000 Maxima.

Recently I brought the car into the local Nissan dealer who was offering an oil change special, which included a full inspection, and by the time I walked out, I had a laundry list of recommended repairs. These included:

Replace both front outer tie rod end boots (torn and leaking grease).
Replace right front outer tie rod end (worn and loose).
Replace both front bars (links worn and loose).
Replace right front lower ball joint boot (split).
Replace right front lower control arm.
Alignment

Being I am now concerned and know absolutely nothing about cars, I decided it's best I make an appointment with the local mechanic to confirm the recommendations of the dealer. I will bring the car in next week and have the feeling I will posting again once I get his diagnosis.

In the mean time, I wanted to get thoughts regarding shock absorbers. Ironically, the dealer made no mention that they too needed to be replaced. The car seems to be riding fine, I do not feel excessive bouncing when going over bumps and I am not hearing any unusual noises. My two questions are:

1. What signs do you look for to determine if the shocks need to be replace?

2. Would it be customary to need replacement at 79,000 miles or is replacement as much time dependent (the car is almost 13 years old) as mileage?

Thanks for your help!

Anovice
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM

You only need to replace the struts (shock absorbers) when they start failing. The two main signs are when they start leaking or when you can bounce a fender more than twice. If the dealer didn't mention them, then they should be ok for now.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html

U should really be asking ur question here he has good advice
Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Suspension Yoda

So I agree with the above post

But also...

Unless you interpreted the dealer incorrectly, if they're recommending changing only the tie rod boots and ball joint boots, I'd run far far away. When the rubber boot breaks, the whole part has to be replaced. I assume this is what they meant, but just want to confirm.

"Front bars" I assume are your sway bar links. And if so, I'd replace them with nothing but Moog, not OEM Nissan.

And frankly since you need control arms and ball joints, you might as well go aftermarket on everything. Energy Suspension poly control arm bushings. Moog ball joints.

I agree with TallTom about the struts. Only replace if they're leaking or you have excessive bouncing. One is a visual symptom, the other is a behavioral symptom. But when you have one of these symptoms, you most likely have both.

Not sure where you're located but I do suspension work for local org members in the NJ area. If you're local it would be worth for me to do the work for you.

Post back with what your mechanic recommends.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM

I expect to bring the car to the mechanic the middle of next week. I will post back after he takes a look at it.

What part of NJ as this may be doable? I am in Philadelphia.

Thanks!

Anovice
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Anovice
I expect to bring the car to the mechanic the middle of next week. I will post back after he takes a look at it.

What part of NJ as this may be doable? I am in Philadelphia.

Thanks!

Anovice
I'm located in East Brunswick. It's inside of an hour from Philly. Well worth the drive.

Once you have a diagnosis from your mechanic, we can chat on the phone and I'll provide a consult on recommended parts. Once everything is ordered up and arrives, we can set up an install day.

Kudos to you for asking questions BEFORE taking action / buying parts. This way we can ensure the appropriate and high quality parts are ordered. Assuming your mechanic is like any other mechanic, I doubt they're aware of the world of aftermarket parts for our car that are of superior quality than OEM or OEM-replacement aftermarket parts, at similar price points.