5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 maxima keep shutting off after 55-60mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update-2003 maxima keep shutting off after 55-60mph

Hello im a new member on here i have been reading up with some of threads on here thru google. i have a 2003 nissan maxima 3.5 that keeps shutting of on me after going 55-60mph i pull over i let it sit for 1min off then it starts right back up again and drives normal at low speeds the CEL came on but the only thing that comes up are the o2 sensor for the cat and the code p1800.. i have already changed the MAF sensor and still does the same thing.. idk what to do anymore can someone help me

Last edited by Ramonbot; 10-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check out your fuel pump... Seems like a fuel issue... It is also good the get the sensors fixed.... The maxima vq motor n computer are sensitive but if fondled right the car will last and haul ***
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vq30Maximus
Check out your fuel pump... Seems like a fuel issue... It is also good the get the sensors fixed.... The maxima vq motor n computer are sensitive but if fondled right the car will last and haul ***
ok then should i even bother changing the crank or cam sensors? I planned to change them today
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Ramonbot
ok then should i even bother changing the crank or cam sensors? I planned to change them today
You should really test those sensors before replacing them to save money. The tests are easy and quick. You can test them through the FSM. Check out the link below to download the FSM.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by foodmanry
You should really test those sensors before replacing them to save money. The tests are easy and quick. You can test them through the FSM. Check out the link below to download the FSM.

thank you so much
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM

1 Cam positions sensor in my car went bad and only caused horrible starts and would shut off after coming to a stop after 10 min of driving then start back up after turning over for 5-10 seconds and would run fine after that, check the in tank filter. I'm sure it would throw a code right away if it was an injector.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well nothing wrong with fuel pump or any of the injectors.. I replaced the maf with one from junkyard im starting to think maybe the one i got its no good as well. Could the cam or crank senors be the problem even tho no codes are showing up? and are the MAF the same from 02-06? IM getting to the point were im just going to replace the cam, crank and (again maf)sensors all in one shot

btw the car runs great and smooth until i try to go past 55 mph then it shuts off on me which i would pull over wait about 1 min and it starts and drives again np i just got the car about 3 weeks ago and i really like the car so just trying to fix whats ever wrong with it pls help

Last edited by Ramonbot; 10-03-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Well nothing wrong with fuel pump or any of the injectors.. I replaced the maf with one from junkyard im starting to think maybe the one i got its no good as well. Could the cam or crank senors be the problem even tho no codes are showing up? and are the MAF the same from 02-06? IM getting to the point were im just going to replace the cam, crank and (again maf)sensors all in one shot

btw the car runs great and smooth until i try to go past 55 mph then it shuts off on me which i would pull over wait about 1 min and it starts and drives again np i just got the car about 3 weeks ago and i really like the car so just trying to fix whats ever wrong with it pls help
If it were a Cam sensor or Crank sensor as well as a MAF sensor I would think it would throw a code a code right away as it did with mine. You could check your in tank fuel filter or sometimes refered to as a fuel strainer may need replacing. But if you are going to dish out the money for the sensor go autozone and buy them and try to find what fixes the problem because you can always carry it back and get a full refund if it doesn't work.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update- had the maf sensor changed with a oem from the junkyard car and it still turned off this time when i was only doing around 20mph i pulled over turned it off then right back on it didn't want to move any time i hit the gas and all the ligths on the speedometer would go off even the battery light was going crazy.. i waited about 15 min then the car was fine .. pls help i don't know what to do anymore I'm to the point were I'm just going to take it to the dealer so they can run a diagnostic on it to find the problem.. I bought another oem MAF just in case it was that because I'm hearing they could cause the problem since I'm getting the code p1800 and mac are known to set that code or should i replace one of other sensors crack or cam?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Check your battery (get it tested at Autozone or Pep Boys). Check all ground connections. Check your battery terminal connections.

It sounds like one of those is your issue. A loose ground or battery terminal can definitely cause what you are seeing.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check your battery (get it tested at Autozone or Pep Boys). Check all ground connections. Check your battery terminal connections.

It sounds like one of those is your issue. A loose ground or battery terminal can definitely cause what you are seeing.
Is their someone were i can find out or a mapping for the all ground connections? I'm not going to pretend i know a lot a lot cars when i really don't to be honest only things i use to wiring on cars is changing the oil and brakes thats it haha
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Is their someone were i can find out or a mapping for the all ground connections? I'm not going to pretend i know a lot a lot cars when i really don't to be honest only things i use to wiring on cars is changing the oil and brakes thats it haha
Yes...in the FSM. You can download the FSM from the link below for your year.

You want the "EL" section for electrical. In there you will find the ground connection mapping. Only worry about the grounds in your engine bay, not inside the cabin.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes...in the FSM. You can download the FSM from the link below for your year.

You want the "EL" section for electrical. In there you will find the ground connection mapping. Only worry about the grounds in your engine bay, not inside the cabin.
well just got done checking the grounds (in the bay ) and termainl and tested the battery (auto zone about 5 min away from me) with my brother in law and everything seems fine.... what should i do next?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM

You need a mechanic to look at and test your vehicle. No one here is going to be able to pinpoint your problem. It could be fuel or spark, could be sensors, fuel pump, etc. You are going to be throwing parts at it and guessing like everyone else on here. Sorry to say...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update-- Went to the junkyard bought another OEM MAF because i kept getting told it has to be that.. I woke early this morning took out the old which i had payed a mechanic to do come to find out it was for an 02 Nissan Altima was dirty inside that he had put in.. Went to the dealership were i found a old friend that i didn't even know was an A-tech there told me since its an altma MAF it sometimes might not work its same model but sometimes the parts just wont work.. I cleaned up the new one i got from junkyard from a 06 maxima that just had 40k miles on it i was told 02-06 maf on the maxima are all the same i put it in car started up fine jumped on the hwy headed to work i went past 60mph (were before it would shut off on me) all the way to 90mph the car felt alot stronger and did not shut off on me it felt like i was driving a new car so fresh and smooth so it seems like the MAF was the probelm.. Would like to thank all who hit me up helping me out.