5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Possible transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Possible transmission problem?

Ok so im thinking my its my trans acting up on me. Sometimes when i drive i only have 1 gear. I got an automatic 01 SE. I checked the transmission fluid and its reddish plus its full. This does not happen all the time. and when this does happen the throttle response is horrible. i will have the gas pedal to the floor and it will take about 5 seconds to get to 20 mps. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Also my SES light is reading p430. Pre cat (bank 2)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:58 PM

doubt it's your trans if it's only intermittent.

Your precat could be bad, hence the code.

Does it seem to drive better if it's not warmed up, and gets worse when it gets warm?

Check your MAF, that's known to cause issues similar to ones you've described. Clean it. Look at either getting a new pre-cat or a Y-pipe to eliminate the precats (well, one if you're Cali spec) altogether.

Precats are known to cause problems in 5th gens.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by TJHeadley
Ok so im thinking my its my trans acting up on me. Sometimes when i drive i only have 1 gear. I got an automatic 01 SE. I checked the transmission fluid and its reddish plus its full. This does not happen all the time. and when this does happen the throttle response is horrible. i will have the gas pedal to the floor and it will take about 5 seconds to get to 20 mps. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Same thing happened to me. I would drive down the road and sometimes the car would slow down and the rpm would jump. I would have to put ther car in park and start the car again and it would be fine. The good news is your tranny is fine. You need to replace your speed sensor. It is called the revolution sensor and only the dealer will know what you are talking about. DONT buy from dealer. They want like $300. Find it on ebay for like $100 to $150. To replace, jack the driver's side up and remove tire. I am not sure if I had to remove the wheel well guard, but you may have to. There on the tranny, you will find the revolution sensor. Remove connector and the 1 bolt that holds it on and replace. Voila it should fix the problem. Good Luck!!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TJHeadley

Pre cat o2 and MAF go hand in hand. I doubt very seriously that it is your MAF though and the o2 sensor is seperate from your transmission problem. When you replace the o2 sensor, try to replace with BOSCH as the others are crap. If you replace the MAF, only replace with Nissan. I learned this lesson the hard way. You can find all of these parts easily and for cheap on ebay.

Last edited by tophersmadmax; 10-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Based on your slow acceleration and code, it sounds more like a clogged exhaust problem? I had a similar issue, turns out my muffler was clogged damn near all the way
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Here is a link with pics for the rev sensor

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13499971485683
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM

I would start with the precat issue you have before moving on. honestly it just sounds like you have a clogged cat(these things rob power when they aren't operating properly)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Would the precat cause it to only have one gear? i remember going 60 in first gear. and when i would come to a redlight it would not like accelerate when i let off the break. it almost felt like a manual at when i came to stops
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM

This is how I would approach the issue:

1) stick a rag (rather firmly) in the exhaust pipe, start the car, give it a few blips of the throttle and then check; if the pipes are clogged the rag will still be stuck in there, otherwise you should find it a couple feet behind the car (this should also make any holes in your exhaust a lot more obvious)

2) if you have a local junkyard, grab a gauge cluster out of a junker (approx $40 and 30 mins of time tops) and replace the whole guage cluster or just the speedometer (you will have to correct the odometer if it works, which is surprisingly easy) - my speedo went and it started throwing the VSS code and the car ran like ISH so I first replaced the VSS which did nothing so I got a junker speedo which fixed the problem.

3) replace the VSS (you can check your old VSS with a volt-meter to see if its actually bad or something else.)

Thats all Ive got for right now. Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Dont mean to bring up an old topic but i got new info. My tcs off and slip light were burnt out. They are one and i replaced the speed sensor and it still jumps from 0 - 20 mph and still has the one gear problem. And its not like its first gear, more like second. I have a video i can post