5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bought new control arms, what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Bought new control arms, what else do I need?

Hello, I just purchased a couple of new control arms from Snomax, and am leaning towards tackling this myself in my garage. I could just use a little bit of help towards what else I should be looking into purchasing for this job. I have a good electric impact, wrenches, jack stands, etc., as well as a ball joint removal tool.

I deduce that this would be a good time to replace the sway bar end links, and I see that the grease-able Moog end links seem to be popular, so I will be purchasing a set of those from rockauto.com. Is there anything else I should be considering replacing at the same time? I have ES sway bar bushings installed already, although those are now likely 10 years old, so I should give a good inspection to see what shape they are in.

I have short and deep impact sockets, but I believe these only go up to 21mm. I think I may have purchased a 22mm socket in the past, but that's the largest socket I think I have available at the moment. I have read that I need a 36mm socket to remove the axle nut (I live in a snowy area, so I expect I won't be able to skip this step). Are there any sockets that I am missing here? I seem to recall reading about a socket in the 26-27mm range, but can't recall for sure which one.

I gather that some of the nuts/bolts may be seized up and require cutting to remove. What nuts and bolts should I have spares on hand for?

And finally, I have read from my research that the pivot rods (or bush pin in nissan catalog) is a real pain to remove from the control arm. Is this something I should look into purchasing separately, or is it possible to remove this in a standard garage?

Thanks in advance for all those that reply.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 PM

My research continues...

I have found the axle nut requires a 32mm socket, and I will also require 22 and 27mm sockets. I just found out that the control arms I just purchased are missing one castle nut, is this an easily obtained item on it's own? From perusing the courtesy parts catalog I'm having a hard time tracking this one down. I'd hate to have to buy a new ball joint just to get a nut of this sort. I expect to likely have to cut the old nuts off so I intend to have new replacements available.

Do the sway bar end links tend to come with new nuts? My research indicates these are often FUBAR and also require cutting to remove.

Once again thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out (I give myself thanks so far )
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM

not actually a castle nut but if the BJ's are bad go ahead and replace them with MOOG. Yes end links come with everything you need except the nut that holds it to the control arm. That you must reuse
Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
not actually a castle nut but if the BJ's are bad go ahead and replace them with MOOG. Yes end links come with everything you need except the nut that holds it to the control arm. That you must reuse
I actually purchased two new control arms, so no worries in replacing ball joints at this juncture.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Get some es bushings for the lca's and for the endlinks get 8 hardened flat washers one on each side of the stud top and bottom if you got a se your swaybar is 23mm get the es mounts.the castle nut you can get at any parts store.

Sent from T_Behr's Phone
Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Get some es bushings for the lca's and for the endlinks get 8 hardened flat washers one on each side of the stud top and bottom if you got a se your swaybar is 23mm get the es mounts.the castle nut you can get at any parts store.
Actually, the main reason I bought these control arms was because forum member Snomax actually purchases new control arms, and installs mevotech ball joints and energy suspension bushings into them. The price he offered these up for was way too enticing to let them go to somebody else.

Are the washers a necessity for the end links? I've read reports of some forum members having issues with the end link nuts coming loose, whereas others have had no issues at all with the moog end links.

Last edited by Kevin Trout; 10-20-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: wrong ball joint brand
Old 10-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Look up the djfreestyle suspension thread yes you need them because the mounting holes in the lca are oval and well the stud is round so for many people like me this was a source of front end clunk its like a $3 fix and the moogs come with the flange nuts

Sent from T_Behr's iPhone
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM

T_behr is right, the moog links do come with nuts, that are flanged and I would definitely use the washers, as this was the source of a front end clunk for me as well. The control arm deal you got sounds pretty cool, mind telling us what you paid for them, or pm'ing me?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout
mevotech ball joints
Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brl24
T_behr is right, the moog links do come with nuts, that are flanged and I would definitely use the washers, as this was the source of a front end clunk for me as well. The control arm deal you got sounds pretty cool, mind telling us what you paid for them, or pm'ing me?
I don't mind sharing the prices at all, the prices were in a 5th gen for sale thread. Normally Snomax charges something like $199 per control arm to install ES bushings, the mevotech ball joints, and spray rubberized truck liner onto the control arm. I bought mine for $99 each since he had some he wanted to move in a hurry after someone backed out. That was simply too good to pass up.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Care to elaborate?