5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel Octane Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Fuel Octane Questions

I've been using 87 octane in my car without any issues whatsoever. It's always ran great and I have never experienced any knocking. Now I've been reading many postings on this forum that discuss this very issue. As I understand it, the knock sensor will sense knock from low octane fuel causing the timing to be retarded which will in turn reduce performance and fuel efficiency. I also understand that all of this should go unnoticed to the driver as the reduction is limited.

I decided to run a test.
I set my cruise control at 72 mph on a flat straight stretch of I-70 and monitored my ignition timing advance with both 87 and 93 octane fuel over the period of a couple weeks. I found no discernible difference in the ignition timing. The ignition timing was almost steady at 34-35 degrees btdc irregardless of octane. Fuel usage calculations are still pending.

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing or need schooled on? Am I taking this too far?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM

No not missing something, just misunderstanding. Different engines are built different ways for different compression and valve/ignition timing. A higher compression engine is built for a higher octane to resist detonation and knock while an engine built of lower compression can use a lower octane and not have to worry about knock. When you use a lower octane rating in an engine meant for a higher octane fuel, it is basically making the knock sensor and the ECU( in our specific engine) continuously adjust the timing. So instead of the timing actually changing, your ECU just adjusts for the lower octane rating and thus performance decreases a little bit. The timing would not actually change by much or you would be driving a different car everyday and thats what manufacturers aim to eliminate via different systems. I am no expert but this is how I understand it to work so you will never read a big change in timing because that is the point of the knock sensor and ECU IE reading operating parameters and adjusting for them.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 11-19-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Timing becomes more advanced when you're at full throttle going higher up in the rpm's. You were traveling at a set speed with little load on the engine, so there was no need for the car's computer to advance the timing any more than it needed, regardless of the octane fuel. That's why fuel doors on 5th gens say "Premium fuel recommended for maximum performance" and you were not driving in a performance situation.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM

^ thats true as well I didnt think about the constant speed
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM

So what you're saying is there's absolutely no way of knowing whether or not there's a performance increase without a dyno.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I don't think we would see big hp numbers between octane on a stock car, rather results more related to throttle responsivity and fuel economy. Want to see/feel a big difference? Fill your tank up with 93 ethanal free.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM

I understand ethanol free fuel is rather scarce. That and fuel stations in Ohio aren't required to divulge ethanol content. BS if you ask me.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM

You don't need anything higher than 87 octane on a stock 2002/2003 Maxima.

Too much timing with too low an octane fuel can cause knock, along with a bunch of other variables. The stock computers timing is Mapped for 87 Octane fuel, so you're fine. The primary reasons to change octane is if you're changing the timing via. a different Tune, or if you're supercharged/turbocharged.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Get Off My Lawn

WHAT?! I prefer to drive Monique after she gets her fill of steak and potatoes (93 octane) rather than after cramming her full of rice cakes (87). But, that's just me. Mmmmmmm! Monique likes her some steak and potatoes!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Most ECU's are mapped for 87 because if manufacturers mapped it for 93 then performance would suffer when some cheapo but in 87 but that does not mean it will take 87 and like it.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
WHAT?! I prefer to drive Monique after she gets her fill of steak and potatoes (93 octane) rather than after cramming her full of rice cakes (87). But, that's just me. Mmmmmmm! Monique likes her some steak and potatoes!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Lol.....I'm with you, all of the VQ's I have had do not like 87. The 3.5's tend to run better on at least 89 Octane, with their 10.* compression ratio's.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Most ECU's are mapped for 87 because if manufacturers mapped it for 93 then performance would suffer when some cheapo but in 87 but that does not mean it will take 87 and like it.
Some good reads I just pulled for you, and anyone else interested in learning why Higher Octane isn't "better". It's all about the application and how it was DESIGNED to run:

http://www.rockettbrand.com/techsupp...ationships.pdf

Pulled from above:

Octane Number: The octane number of a gasoline has little to do with how fast it burns or how much
power the engine will make. Octane number is the resistance to detonation. If the octane number is high
enough to prevent detonation, there is no need to use a higher octane gasoline since the engine will not make
any additional power. Octane number is not related to flame (burn) speed either. Variations in octane quality
are independent of flame speed. There are some high octane gasolines in the marketplace with fast flame
speeds and some with slow flame speeds. It depends on how they are put together. At Rockett BrandTM, we like
fast flame speeds because we know that a properly tuned engine will make more power on this type of gasoline
than one that has a slower flame speed.
In way more detail than is necessary below, This is one heck of a post, dude knows way more than I do, but I see no error in anything he's saying it all co-relates to everything I've read. You really don't need to read this unless you want more clarification on the above link and Quote I posted:

http://motorcycleriderz.motionsforum...t-a-fuel-burns

And a Very interesting fact about "Octane" itself and where it comes from:

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM

A simple way to put it:

Lower octane fuel (87) burns easier.
Higher (91) Octane fuel is harder to burn.

Because 91 is harder to burn, it won't detonate as easily in Higher compression engines. However, if the engine doesn't knock or retard timing when using 87, using 91 WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR PERFORMANCE. In fact, it's quite possible it can REDUCE performance on cars that aren't designed for it because it's harder to ignite the mixture.

Another loose way to put it:

Engines designed for 91 (high octane) fuel generally have higher compression, and more advanced timing. It's not the OCTANE that gives you the power, it's the Higher compression and Advanced timing.
All the Octane does is keep it from detonating at this higher compression and higher temperature.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM

si, this I know. Higher octane just gives you more room before detonation
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Timing becomes more advanced when you're at full throttle going higher up in the rpm's. You were traveling at a set speed with little load on the engine, so there was no need for the car's computer to advance the timing any more than it needed, regardless of the octane fuel. That's why fuel doors on 5th gens say "Premium fuel recommended for maximum performance" and you were not driving in a performance situation.
THIS.

Drive like Ms Daisy? use 87
Drive it like you stole it? 93 octane for MAXIMA performance.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM

This maybe totally off topic but what app is this? Lol sorry just curious.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
all of the VQ's I have had do not like 87.
My VQ30Dek doesn't like 87 at all. It would always ping when engaging the clutch in 1st gear from a stop, to the point where it would sound like it was going to stall.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM

My VQ30Dek doesn't like 87 at all. It would always ping when engaging the clutch in 1st gear from a stop, to the point where it would sound like it was going to stall.
I believe ya, mine didn't either when I had the 01 and and non K 97 and that was from day 1 wit low low miles!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TriniMax03
This maybe totally off topic but what app is this? Lol sorry just curious.
Dash Command - I think it was maybe five bucks?

I also use the
Super Mini ELM327 Super Mini ELM327
. It's small enough to fit almost flush with the kick panel under the dash. My old one used to hit me in the knee all the time. I just leave this one in place.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Some good reads I just pulled for you...
Thanks for the great info!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Here is the link to the myths of unleaded gasoline:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....Mythsgas1.html

I live in higher altitude in Colorado and have been running 87 to 91 octane. I have yet to know the difference in performance when driving hard. Does that mean there isn't a difference? NO! Just not noticeable by me.

I hope this helps some of your questions.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

A steady speed usually doesn't result in pinging, or an activated knock sensor pulling back timing.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 AM

95-2001 Maxima spec's 91 octane. Only the 2002/2003 is spec'd for Regular gas.

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Thanks for the great info!
n/p dude!

lol'd at the leaded gas link? Wtf, am I missing something on this?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 AM

not to be a smart a** but you do understand that the equipment that is used to monitor engine data costs thousands of dollars and at this point you are judging you results based on a $15 Bluetooth plug in OBD2 reader and a $4.99 app on your smart phone??? Give me one reason or an example of why this data is accurate???
Don't get me wrong I do have the same Bluetooth OBD2 reader but I use it only to pull codes stored in the ECU and nothing else.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my 02 max pings like crazy with anything but 91 or higher in it... even 89 pings...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
not to be a smart a** but you do understand that the equipment that is used to monitor engine data costs thousands of dollars and at this point you are judging you results based on a $15 Bluetooth plug in OBD2 reader and a $4.99 app on your smart phone??? Give me one reason or an example of why this data is accurate???
Don't get me wrong I do have the same Bluetooth OBD2 reader but I use it only to pull codes stored in the ECU and nothing else.
Code reading equipment costs hundreds of dollars!! What makes you think your $20 bluetooth setup is pulling accurate codes?!? /Sarcasm off

OBD2 is fairly old, reliable, and simple technology. The only places where you need thousands of dollars of equipment is to use OEM proprietary features that don't follow the OBD2 standard. My dad has a $600 dollar scanner that doesn't do much my $15 bluetooth adapter can't do. It's just not rocket science anymore.
Besides, you've forgotten that this $15 dollar adapter and $5 software is just the backend on a $500 computer (which is all cell phones are anymore). I may not trust it to be perfectly accurate but I feel the limitations are with the OBD2 protocol, not my cheap *** equipment.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 AM

^I would have to agree. They are useless for accurate diagnostics though, because they simply don't read the information fast enough. They can give you half decent guidlines, but you could NEVER diagnose a MAF sensor or anything like that with one. Even fuel trims are a Wash to accurately check with them, too slow.

Originally Posted by stogy3
my 02 max pings like crazy with anything but 91 or higher in it... even 89 pings...
Then there's something wrong with your car.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM

^I would have to agree. They are useless for accurate diagnostics though, because they simply don't read the information fast enough. They can give you half decent guidlines, but you could NEVER diagnose a MAF sensor or anything like that with one. Even fuel trims are a Wash to accurately check with them, too slow.
I agree. But like I said the failure here is the early 90's tech in the protocol, not any reader. It's basically nothing but a proprietary serial port.

Was just doing some reading up on OBD3 and found some disturbing things...I hope that's not set in stone yet.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Code reading equipment costs hundreds of dollars!! What makes you think your $20 bluetooth setup is pulling accurate codes?!? /Sarcasm off

OBD2 is fairly old, reliable, and simple technology. The only places where you need thousands of dollars of equipment is to use OEM proprietary features that don't follow the OBD2 standard. My dad has a $600 dollar scanner that doesn't do much my $15 bluetooth adapter can't do. It's just not rocket science anymore.
Besides, you've forgotten that this $15 dollar adapter and $5 software is just the backend on a $500 computer (which is all cell phones are anymore). I may not trust it to be perfectly accurate but I feel the limitations are with the OBD2 protocol, not my cheap *** equipment.
it will read the codes with same "accuracy" that the free autozone check engine light service does... I use the codes as a guide on where to look for the problem and nothing else... once again I am not sold the entire $20 idea of correctly monitoring the engine data... but if this works for you that's all it matters
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM

95-2001 Maxima spec's 91 octane. Only the 2002/2003 is spec'd for Regular gas.
Well the fuel door says "Premium fuel recommended for maximum performance" but it doesn't like regular 87 regardless.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Well the fuel door says "Premium fuel recommended for maximum performance" but it doesn't like regular 87 regardless.
Oh yes indeed, once put 87 first time and that **** chugged it, I was like WTF....