5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

solenoids and different transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM

solenoids and different transmissions

4th gen and earlier transmissions have the following.
RE4F04A and RE4F04V. the A is a non locking differential. the V is a locking differential.
5th gen maximas have RE4F04B and RE4F04W. the B is no locking and the W is a locking differential.

There are people on here who have replaced solenoids with part number 31940-80x25 (4th gen RE4F04A) into there transmissions (RE4F04B) with success. i ordered those solenoids but they didnt work. the TCC solenoid had a bigger seat which would not fit into my VB. Im assuming the people who had success putting those solenoids into there 5th gen had a non locking diff. so is there a solenoid repair kit for the LSD transmission? and if there is, would the 4th gen solenoids fit into a 5th gen? being the A and B transmissions are virtually the same? would the V and W virtually be the same? why would solenoids be different if it has LSD or non LSD? All the other solenoids would seat correctly, only the TCC solenoid was different. so is the operation of the tourque converter different depending if it has locking or non locking? thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

4th gen solenoid pack does not fit the 5th gen. Never heard of the locking/non locking deal either. Doesn't make sense.

Here's where the solenoid pack fits into the VB, as you can see, they're different.

95-99
Name:  IMG00208-20100416-1022.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  36.6 KB

00-03
Name:  IMG00207-20100416-1022.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM

weird. so i guess the guy who told me that 31940-80x25 fit into his 5th gen was confused. there is a locking and non locking differential for sure. i guess im stuck spending 300+ on solenoids then instead of 120.

thanks for the pics.

Last edited by user name001; 01-10-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM

When cjandura posted a part number and said they were only about $85 (or whatever) I remember reading about that in the 4th gen forum. I held the impression that those solenoids wouldn't work in the 5th gen tranny, but when cjandura said he had put them in his car, I kept my mouth shut. CJ is one smart dude and I respect his opinion.

He had posted a service bulletin number (TSB) that unfortunately was not a full number. I spent some time searching for a bulletin using the partial number that he supplied but I never found anything.

Back in August another guy posted that he was going to get some solenoids off e-bay for around $180. He did get them and said they were working fine. He originally indicated he was going to get a set from one seller but then he got them from a different seller. He never said why. But I need to do solenoids, so I may do the e-bay cheap route come spring.

Here's the link to that thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...940-80x25.html
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When cjandura posted a part number and said they were only about $85 (or whatever) I remember reading about that in the 4th gen forum. I held the impression that those solenoids wouldn't work in the 5th gen tranny, but when cjandura said he had put them in his car, I kept my mouth shut. CJ is one smart dude and I respect his opinion.

He had posted a service bulletin number (TSB) that unfortunately was not a full number. I spent some time searching for a bulletin using the partial number that he supplied but I never found anything.

Back in August another guy posted that he was going to get some solenoids off e-bay for around $180. He did get them and said they were working fine. He originally indicated he was going to get a set from one seller but then he got them from a different seller. He never said why. But I need to do solenoids, so I may do the e-bay cheap route come spring.

I posted the wrong kit number ill correct it asap i had to search it out i had both bookmarked and grabbed the wrong one
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM

yea, i read his post. i remember your convo about him sleeping on the ground haha. its all good cjandura, i was able to return them, and next time will be easier cuz ive already been in there and know what im doing now haha. if you could post up a part number that would be great. thanks.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I just wanted to see if anybody had any updates on this. Is there a cheaper option for solenoids? Or do the 5th gen guys need to spend $300 on a new set of solenoids? I just tested them on my 03 Maxima and the Shift A solenoid isn't clicking when applying 12v.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yesterday, I ordered both the 80x25 $80 set of solenoids and the 85X0B $280 set that is meant for the 03 Maxima. Wayne from Tri-Cities just called me and said they are in. I asked him to tear open the bags and compare the two sets. He said the connectors are different (no surprise there) and that the solenoid on the end of the 80x25 is larger than the 85x0B. There is no way to be able to install this solenoid pack in the 03 Maxima according to this info.

I will snap some photos to confirm this once I receive the two solenoid sets in a couple days.

And just so everyone knows, I ordered these from my favorite dealership, Tri-Cities Nissan in TN. www.nissanpartsasap.com They have the best prices I've found anywhere in the country. And their website allows you to look up OEM part numbers too which is a HUGE plus! Tell them Aaron from NWP sent you.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Interesting keep us posted!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I received the two solenoid sets today.

The individual solenoids are held on by snap rings. It's easy to see that the solenoid on the far left are different sizes. From the looks of things, if you swap out this one solenoid, then the 80x25 $80 solenoid pack can be used on the 5th gen Maxima. I confirmed that the hole is large enough in the 85X0B solenoid mounting plate in order to swap them. All you would need to do is cut and solder the new solenoid wire for the one solenoid you're swapping. Then change the connector so it will plug into your car by cutting and soldering all 7 wires or repinning the connector. You can't reroute the entire wire since it's permanently molded in the white plastic that seals your transmission case.

So if your Shift B solenoid is just fine and all you need are the rest of the solenoids, then the 80X25 may be an option for your 99-03 Maxima if you're willing to put in the work involved.

And for some reason, when I was researching part numbers, it showed that the 1999 Maxima has the 85X0B solenoids. The easiest way to tell is look at the color of your VB solenoids connector. If it's Brown, then you have the older style found in the 80X25 kit. If it's Black, then you probably have the newer style 85X0B.

The 31940-80X25 (92-98 Maxima) is on the left and 31940-85X0B (99-03 Maxima) is on the right.

How to test your solenoids by applying 12v (battery voltage):

Please refer to this post to check the resistance first before you mess with applying 12v to any solenoid:
http://forums.maxima.org/3140390-post21.html

Follow these steps as taken from the 2003 Maxima FSM. They will click when 12v is applied. This test can be done with the solenoids inside the transmission. But having them on the bench is preferred due to the reason mentioned below.

The solenoids that have that peace symbol shape (shown below) have a different plunger design than the rest.

The solenoids with the peace symbol shape are the 5 black solenoids shown in the pic below. This is just a view from the other side.

These particular solenoids need pressure to operate properly. So when 12v is applied, you will only hear ONE click. Then the solenoid will remain shut until pressure is provided again (cranking the engine). The rest of the solenoids will click freely every time 12v is applied even without any pressure on the plunger.

If you have the solenoid pack out of the transmission and on the bench, you can unfold a paper clip and insert it into the black side of the solenoid. Then push on the plunger and release it. It doesn't take much force to open the plunger. It should fall open as soon as you barely touch it.

Then you can get one more click out of it by applying 12v. So, by keeping constant pressure (ATF pressure or lightly pushing with a paper clip), the solenoid is able to operate just fine.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 11-13-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Steps added how to test solenoids
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Aaron, I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort put forth on this issue! Although this was to address your own problem, the documentation and outlining the differences is invaluable! This leaves no doubt about these packs and anyone should now be able to look at their trannys and know what they need. Sir, I thank you!!

On a related note, it truly is great the amount of time and attention these guys at Tri-city provide us enthusiasts! The knowledge level of their tech dept is phenominal as well. Just to mentioned ONE guy in there, Steve McCaig who turboed his '87 Maxima and aided me in turbo'ing my '89. They are a great and minimally tapped resource for this forum.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Aaron, I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort put forth on this issue! Although this was to address your own problem, the documentation and outlining the differences is invaluable! This leaves no doubt about these packs and anyone should now be able to look at their trannys and know what they need. Sir, I thank you!!

On a related note, it truly is great the amount of time and attention these guys at Tri-city provide us enthusiasts! The knowledge level of their tech dept is phenominal as well. Just to mentioned ONE guy in there, Steve McCaig who turboed his '87 Maxima and aided me in turbo'ing my '89. They are a great and minimally tapped resource for this forum.
I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

Also, on a side note cjandura just told me that his 03 Maxima had a green connector, which he had to switch to the brown connector of the 80X25 kit to make it work. He doesn't remember if he or his mechanic had to remove large TC Clutch solenoid and swap it with the existing Shift B solenoid, then cut and solder the wire. He definitely remembers having to repin the 7 wires on the main connector though.

So simply put, with my research, I think it's possible to get the 80X25 kit to work in your 00-03 Maxima. But you won't be able to get the large solenoid to fit in the 03 Maxima valve body. You'll have to swap solenoids by removing the snap ring and cutting/splicing the wire. Is it worth it? Probably. If you don't mind doing all that work to save about $220. But I am just going to install the 03 Maxima solenoid pack I already ordered. I hope this may help someone in the future.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I just updated my post above to explain how to test your solenoids if you think they are faulty after checking the resistance first.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 AM

you said that in order to use the 31940-80X25 (92-98 Maxima) solenoids in the 5th gen, you need to swap one solenoid. As I look at the photos, it looks like a 2nd solenoid (second from the right end) would need to be swapped also.

It looks like the 5th gen solenoid fits deeper into the valve body than it's 4th gen counterpart.

Am I missing/overlooking something?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 AM
NWP Engineering.com

you said that in order to use the 31940-80X25 (92-98 Maxima) solenoids in the 5th gen, you need to swap one solenoid. As I look at the photos, it looks like a 2nd solenoid (second from the right end) would need to be swapped also.

It looks like the 5th gen solenoid fits deeper into the valve body than it's 4th gen counterpart.

Am I missing/overlooking something?
That looks correct. I missed that. So it looks like only 3 out of the 5 solenoids will work. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I received the two solenoid sets today.

The individual solenoids are held on by snap rings. It's easy to see that the solenoid on the far left are different sizes. From the looks of things, if you swap out this one solenoid, then the 80x25 $80 solenoid pack can be used on the 5th gen Maxima. I confirmed that the hole is large enough in the 85X0B solenoid mounting plate in order to swap them. All you would need to do is cut and solder the new solenoid wire for the one solenoid you're swapping. Then change the connector so it will plug into your car by cutting and soldering all 7 wires or repinning the connector. You can't reroute the entire wire since it's permanently molded in the white plastic that seals your transmission case.

So if your Shift B solenoid is just fine and all you need are the rest of the solenoids, then the 80X25 may be an option for your 99-03 Maxima if you're willing to put in the work involved.

And for some reason, when I was researching part numbers, it showed that the 1999 Maxima has the 85X0B solenoids. The easiest way to tell is look at the color of your VB solenoids connector. If it's Brown, then you have the older style found in the 80X25 kit. If it's Black, then you probably have the newer style 85X0B.

The 31940-80X25 (92-98 Maxima) is on the left and 31940-85X0B (99-03 Maxima) is on the right.

How to test your solenoids by applying 12v (battery voltage):

Please refer to this post to check the resistance first before you mess with applying 12v to any solenoid:
http://forums.maxima.org/3140390-post21.html

Follow these steps as taken from the 2003 Maxima FSM. They will click when 12v is applied. This test can be done with the solenoids inside the transmission. But having them on the bench is preferred due to the reason mentioned below.

The solenoids that have that peace symbol shape (shown below) have a different plunger design than the rest.

The solenoids with the peace symbol shape are the 5 black solenoids shown in the pic below. This is just a view from the other side.

These particular solenoids need pressure to operate properly. So when 12v is applied, you will only hear ONE click. Then the solenoid will remain shut until pressure is provided again (cranking the engine). The rest of the solenoids will click freely every time 12v is applied even without any pressure on the plunger.

If you have the solenoid pack out of the transmission and on the bench, you can unfold a paper clip and insert it into the black side of the solenoid. Then push on the plunger and release it. It doesn't take much force to open the plunger. It should fall open as soon as you barely touch it.

Then you can get one more click out of it by applying 12v. So, by keeping constant pressure (ATF pressure or lightly pushing with a paper clip), the solenoid is able to operate just fine.
http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/t...85461_0_11837/ Here it says its the other one, confused. I have A 2000 maxima, don't want to get the wrong one.

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 09-09-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:59 AM

Anybody lol
Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Anybody lol
Use the one on the right, look at the VB, the one on the left wont work. Again, verify using your VB as reference.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Use the one on the right, look at the VB, the one on the left wont work. Again, verify using your VB as reference.
. Thanks, that's the one I got, only got code p0744 so hoping this fixes it. Love this car too much but it's getting old. Trannys on 190000 miles original so hope it's not something else.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 PM

Update on the transmission.. ordered the solenoids problems gone, thanks to the org for saving me $$$....love being me own mechanic lol.