5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Actual Car, What First?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM

My Actual Car, What First?

Hi guys, here some picture of my car actually.

But, there's some problems on it, and I want your opinion on the order to solve them. I think about replace my back wings first and after recover my wrap on my car paint.
What do you think guys?

Back Wing Right Side, The **** One

Back Wing Left Side

Top Of My Front Window

For those pictures, I tried to fix them in the summer, but the right back wings with that hole rusted again.

For the Paint, I got little hole in the wrap but not in my paint

Sorry for the english, i'm french :S
Thx for futur answers
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM

This is the one reason why I don't like the 5thgens. They get very bad rusting all over and from what I see you're probably gonna need a fully paint job to bring her back. I would focus on the maintenance for now, at that age i'm sure you're probably gonna need a new suspension, ball joints, tie rod end, sway bar link, basically a front end and an alignment. I'm sure you're ready to make it look good but make it run good before you start modifying and/or customizing. Good luck
Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Step 1: clean the cancer (read rust.)
Step 2: touch up the clear coat, this is what I think you were calling the "wrap."
Step 3: get under the hood and get an idea of what normal stuff needs to be done under there.
Step 4: Replace those steelies (read: wheels.)

Bonjour et bienvenue sur ce site! le bouton de recherche va être votre meilleur ami!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
This is the one reason why I don't like the 5thgens. They get very bad rusting all over and from what I see you're probably gonna need a fully paint job to bring her back. I would focus on the maintenance for now, at that age i'm sure you're probably gonna need a new suspension, ball joints, tie rod end, sway bar link, basically a front end and an alignment. I'm sure you're ready to make it look good but make it run good before you start modifying and/or customizing. Good luck
I already replaced my 2 front tie rods and my last alignement was 2 month ago, my suspension is good for the moment. I wanna keep my car for 5 years minimaly. All my engine is good, and I don't have any check engine. When I bought my car, I putted 2k on it for work , changed all brakes systems, air bags sensors and some minimal ****s. Each year, I went in GoodYears garade ( my neighbourgh work here and he's the boss) and I paid for an inspection ( All was good ). Went there 2 month ago like I said and replaced a tie rod and did an alignement.

Last edited by Gabrielx94; 01-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by litch
Step 1: clean the cancer (read rust.)
Step 2: touch up the clear coat, this is what I think you were calling the "wrap."
Step 3: get under the hood and get an idea of what normal stuff needs to be done under there.
Step 4: Replace those steelies (read: wheels.)

Bonjour et bienvenue sur ce site! le bouton de recherche va être votre meilleur ami!
Wrap is like you got the paint and after your put ''wrap'' to protect your paint. It's like a vinyl but for cars. I don't know all specefics terms o nenglish native speakers but I understand well.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielx94
Wrap is like you got the paint and after your put ''wrap'' to protect your paint. It's like a vinyl but for cars. I don't know all specefics terms o nenglish native speakers but I understand well.
You can't use vinyl wrap on your car unless your do a complete bodywork. Your car has rust all over and if you put wrap over the rust and leave pockets you will have moisture build up in the bubble which will cause more rusting and it will tear and rip easily. Don't waste your money and do both, invest in a proper paint job if you choose to keep the car.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
You can't use vinyl wrap on your car unless your do a complete bodywork. Your car has rust all over and if you put wrap over the rust and leave pockets you will have moisture build up in the bubble which will cause more rusting and it will tear and rip easily. Don't waste your money and do both, invest in a proper paint job if you choose to keep the car.

Great so I wanna keep the same color, what do you think the price will be if I keep the same color?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Great so I wanna keep the same color, what do you think the price will be if I keep the same color?
I had some bodywork done and then a repaint of the same color and clear coat done on my car for 1100
Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 PM

I had some bodywork done and then a repaint of the same color and clear coat done on my car for 1100
great great, I went in a body work shop and the guy estimated to cost of my back wings of 400$ each, do you think it's overprice or it's a good price?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM

great great, I went in a body work shop and the guy estimated to cost of my back wings of 400$ each, do you think it's overprice or it's a good price?
he quoted each fender at 400? What does that Include? Is he going to paint it and get it back to original quality? there are alot of questions to be asked, but it sounds a little high to me. But if he is going to make it like new, and those are really trouble spots, I would also not pinch pennies.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM

he quoted each fender at 400? What does that Include? Is he going to paint it and get it back to original quality? there are alot of questions to be asked, but it sounds a little high to me. But if he is going to make it like new, and those are really trouble spots, I would also not pinch pennies.
He said to me that he will cut the circle wing, but not all the wing ( the upper to the roof and bla bla bla.. ) and he will paint and vinyl wrap it
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

He said to me that he will cut the circle wing, but not all the wing ( the upper to the roof and bla bla bla.. ) and he will paint and vinyl wrap it
hmmm, sounds like he is saying he is going to replace your entire fender and replace it... but I wonder with what... and then he said paint, and vynil. You are sure he said vynil and not clear coat, the picture you have posted where you can see the clear stuff coming of your car, that is clear coat, vynil is like what is on the cars in the fast and the furious movies, big colorful stickers, I would be skeptical if he said he was going to vinyl wrap your car after replacing the fenders... but if he said he was going to do all that for 800 that is not really a bad price, but I have spent thousands of dollars on my car and if I were in your shoes and needed that done to my car, I would think that is a fine price.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Are you talking about your quarter panels? If you are he will cut out the rust, and weld new wells on from the dog leg to the rear bumper in the body contour. He wont replace the whole quarter.. In all honesty your in quebec.. I guarentee you will be doing the same work in 2 years. There is lots of salt used out there and it will all come back. The hood is not wrapped either.. Thats your clear coat peeling i can tell by the pic of your roof that it has been repainted already and done poorly.

hmmm, sounds like he is saying he is going to replace your entire fender and replace it... but I wonder with what... and then he said paint, and vynil. You are sure he said vynil and not clear coat, the picture you have posted where you can see the clear stuff coming of your car, that is clear coat, vynil is like what is on the cars in the fast and the furious movies, big colorful stickers, I would be skeptical if he said he was going to vinyl wrap your car after replacing the fenders... but if he said he was going to do all that for 800 that is not really a bad price, but I have spent thousands of dollars on my car and if I were in your shoes and needed that done to my car, I would think that is a fine price.
No. You can buy a clear vinyl which is like a chip guard from 3m and various other companies.. But you are correct.. That is 100% clear coat.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by user name001
No. You can buy a clear vinyl which is like a chip guard from 3m and various other companies.. But you are correct.. That is 100% clear coat.
I said Vinyl cause I didn't know the good term in english, what i meaned it a paint protection, so if you call this clear coat, that's it.

And for the 2 years durability I knew it, in Quebec city, salt and the hot and cold temperature kill a car easily if you don't keep your car clean. Personally, I always keep my car clear and I wash it in winter seasons. I can buy big stuff to have those back wing a better durability but it will cost more money.

Originally Posted by user name001
Are you talking about your quarter panels? If you are he will cut out the rust, and weld new wells on from the dog leg to the rear bumper in the body contour. He wont replace the whole quarter.. In all honesty your in quebec.. I guarentee you will be doing the same work in 2 years. There is lots of salt used out there and it will all come back. The hood is not wrapped either.. Thats your clear coat peeling i can tell by the pic of your roof that it has been repainted already and done poorly.
I already bought a paint with clear in it, and I painted the bottom of my car near my fog light if it's what your talking about because i do alot of drift on snow and in my first years i got some scratch on the bottom of my front bumper

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.