5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Here we go again....03 6spd Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Here we go again....03 6spd Question

Hi guys...some of you may know that I was looking at a 2000 maxima a little while back. Was all set to get it, everything checked out perfectly, 1 owner etc. until I drove the car...the f'in thing didnt even drive straight and the steering wheel shook back and forth uncontrollably

Anyhow, I found an 03 SE 6spd with 128 on the clock. Really interested in getting it, the price is right, new tires and brakes all around not even 2 months ago. Planning on picking it up if everything checks out.

Only thing that worries me is that the seller says it "has a bad cat". My question is, is it common for these cats to go bad at this mileage or perhaps something was wrong mechanically that caused the cat to fail (like oil somehow getting into the cat from bad valve seals due to scored cylinders or bad piston rings)...Im probably over thinking it too much but I just figured its safer to ask. Thats the only thing wrong with the car, or so the seller says. Anything else I should check out in depth? Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Bad *** Newb

The rings could already be toast and it consumes tons of oil.

If you search at all you will find the 10 thousand threads about this problem.
Yes, they all fail and they ruin the motor if not removed soon enough. It's both precats that cause the problem, but the main cat will be clogged as well.

I'd stay away. Chances are that the motor is already crap.

You should have just bought the 2000 and fixed it (cheap problems are good leverage when buying a used car if the ppl are stupid). That would have been cheap. Repairing 02-03s is not cheap.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-19-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Yes, they all fail and they ruin the motor if not removed soon enough. It's both precats that cause the problem, but the main cat will be clogged as well.

You should have just bought the 2000 and fixed it (cheap problems are good leverage when buying a used car if the ppl are stupid). That would have been cheap. Repairing 02-03s is not cheap.
I disagree. Not all of the precats go bad on these cars. I talked to a Nissan master tech and he claims to not ever remember a precat breaking apart on the 3.5 maxima. Sure they are known for some oil consumption but this is not a deal breaker. My car has the oil consumption issue but runs extremely strong and no issues for years. You need to find out why the owner believes the precat is bad. I could simply be a cel for an o2 sensor.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

The 2000 was beat beyond belief and looked like it had double the mileage. This isnt my first car purchase, I know mechanical problems are usually leverage but it would take a lot more than bad ball joints or struts to make this car appealing.

It worries me that the rings are bad on this maxima...also looking at an i30 if this one falls through. Would really prefer the 6spd maxima though

EDIT: Just confirmed it is indeed the precat that is bad.

Last edited by SVT03; 01-19-2013 at 03:50 PM.