5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tail light problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

tail light problem please help

I had led tail lights in my car. they were throwing a signal on the dash saying the lights were out so i tried to put resistors in, which seemed to work. now the parking running lights are very dim and the brake lights will come on. I switch to the stock ones and the running lights don't work at all.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

bump
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 AM

i heard of an automatic maxima with this problem having issues with cruise control but i checked that and my cruise control works so that isnt the issue. As I said all fuses are working. what could be the problem? PLEASE HELP!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM

I own a 6th gen,but all cars have fuses under the hood.Mine has on passenger and drivers side(under the hood) and the ones under the dash drivers side.It STILL seems like a fuse problem.Make sure you check the ones under the hood too.As for the resistors,I went the other route.On my trunk I ran 2 wires on each tailight (turning signals) and hooked up a bulb.Bulb is on a safe place and it won't break.Now the car recodnizes it as a regular incandescent bulb,but I'm running the leds tail lights

Last edited by UniqueMax; 02-16-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Ok cw change your bulbs back to non leds for right now.sometimes and i have to check on this further but the issue is that most tail light use some sort of dual filiment bulb and replacing them with cheap or just regular leds do not work i know i had issues on my old 03 when i did this and ended up buying some really expensive leds from putco that totally fixed the issue.when i get home ill look in my build/mod notes to find out exactly what the issue is i know i have the answers.and i remember i was having issues with the way the brake lights functioned from dim to bright and would give the bulb out light on the dash.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Ok cw change your bulbs back to non leds for right now.sometimes and i have to check on this further but the issue is that most tail light use some sort of dual filiment bulb and replacing them with cheap or just regular leds do not work i know i had issues on my old 03 when i did this and ended up buying some really expensive leds from putco that totally fixed the issue.when i get home ill look in my build/mod notes to find out exactly what the issue is i know i have the answers.and i remember i was having issues with the way the brake lights functioned from dim to bright and would give the bulb out light on the dash.
I thought the stock bulbs would solve the problem like you said...no go. Now the stock bulbs only light up for brake lights and not the running. These work perfect in another car i tried it in too. So they are tested good bulbs. I put the leds back because at least they shine a little and i MIGHT not get pulled over vs. stock that has no running light at all.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cwfalconfootbal

I thought the stock bulbs would solve the problem like you said...no go. Now the stock bulbs only light up for brake lights and not the running. These work perfect in another car i tried it in too. So they are tested good bulbs. I put the leds back because at least they shine a little and i MIGHT not get pulled over vs. stock that has no running light at all.
You remove the resistors and such also make sure the bulbs are correct type
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
You remove the resistors and such also make sure the bulbs are correct type
I did remove the resistors and the bulbs are the correct ones.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM

What about the side marker lights? Are they lighting up properly?

Also same questions about the lights on the front of the car.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What about the side marker lights? Are they lighting up properly?

Also same questions about the lights on the front of the car.
Yup all of these are working still.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 PM

There is a device in the trunk called the "Stop and tail lamp unit" that could be your culprit. I think it is mounted in the back panel that the trunk lid latches into.

The electricity from the light switch goes to the side markers, license plate lights and this stop and tail lamp unit. The the stop and tail lamp unit then relays the electricity to the tail lights.

Click on this link and go to page 452. The actual schematic is on page 70.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2002/EL.pdf

Last edited by DennisMik; 02-19-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There is a device in the trunk called the "Stop and tail lamp unit" that could be your culprit. I think it is mounted in the back panel that the trunk lid latches into.

The electricity from the light switch goes to the side markers, license plate lights and this stop and tail lamp unit. The the stop and tail lamp unit then relays the electricity to the tail lights.

Click on this link and go to page 452. The actual schematic is on page 70.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2002/EL.pdf
Is it located on the trunk lid or the panel right under it?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just had this issue last week , my red bulb blew and when i switched back to stock no parking lights , bulb wasn't pushed in all the way . I had checked twice already before realizing they went in another click.

But on other hand i have same problem with led lights setting off dummy light on dash so any way to solve would also be great help to me
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by kinsella1
Just had this issue last week , my red bulb blew and when i switched back to stock no parking lights , bulb wasn't pushed in all the way . I had checked twice already before realizing they went in another click.

But on other hand i have same problem with led lights setting off dummy light on dash so any way to solve would also be great help to me
The stop and tail light assembly fixed my problem...must have burnt out wen i tried to put in the resistors