5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Timing advance....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Timing advance....

Ive read up on the beautiful and simple 2-3 degree advance on the DE-k and it seems like the perfect compliment to my intake and exhaust mods. Since I use only premium gas anyway it seems like a win. Ive heard about having to do the idle relearn afterwards and therin lies my question. Im guessing timing advance advances idle speed? If so, by how much. I'd actually love a 100rpm idle speed raise. My auto is older and idle is a tiny bit lower than i like when its in drive at a light. How much will it go up?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 AM

If you advance timing it will idle way high untill you do the realearn. Way more than you want it like 1k 900 idle at least mine did but idle relarn will tell the computer how much air is getting in there after timing andvance and thus add fuel for the 14.7 ratio= more power not higher idle
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My understanding is that you can only do the timing advance so that it is permanent using the nissan consult tool. I paid a tech under the table to do mine when it was in for an unrelated service.

It has been so long that I don't recall whether he did an idle relearn but assume he did.

Timing advance has nothing to do with a/f ratio or adding fuel.

All a timing advance does is change when in relation to the piston being at Top Dead center that the spark plug fires. The closer to TDC, the more power but also the more likely that you get detonation (ping). Premium is recommended because the higher octane helps ensure that there is no detonation. Otherwise, the knock sensor will pull timing, thus negating the benefit of advanced timing.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

02-03's you can do it w/o the relearn and it will idle fine, 00-01, no idea.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM

Thanks guys......yeah I did a little googling and a couple people have said advancing 2 degrees makes it idle about 75rpms higher.....which in that case would be exactly what I want......I guess worst case scenario, I can do the idle relearn myself if I feel the idle is offensive. Now for the hard part......finding a Nissan dealer to do it...lol
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM

I had my friend with a vq40 pathy do it to my car with cipher from up-rev at my auto school. Took him like two minutes and it immediately smoothed out my idle. Turned out my timing was 1* below stock so 14 and he bumped it up to 17*. We have a superflow dyno so I might be able to get a after result(possibly). I did a base line dyno run previously. Also with cipher you can change your idle to what ever rpms you want. Just fyi op
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
All a timing advance does is change when in relation to the piston being at Top Dead center that the spark plug fires. The closer to TDC, the more power but also the more likely that you get detonation (ping). Premium is recommended because the higher octane helps ensure that there is no detonation. Otherwise, the knock sensor will pull timing, thus negating the benefit of advanced timing.
"closer to TDC" is incorrect here, based on what your description. In order to get the most ideal cycle (i.e. constant volume heat addition) and thus maximum power, max cylinder pressure should occur [ideally] at TDC or [practically] just after TDC. In order for this to occur, the mixture needs to be ignited before TDC, as [complete] combustion and the pressure rise does not occur instantly. When one advances the timing, it is being moved further away from TDC, i.e. earlier/before.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 03GLEmaxima
I had my friend with a vq40 pathy do it to my car with cipher from up-rev at my auto school. Took him like two minutes and it immediately smoothed out my idle. Turned out my timing was 1* below stock so 14 and he bumped it up to 17*. We have a superflow dyno so I might be able to get a after result(possibly). I did a base line dyno run previously. Also with cipher you can change your idle to what ever rpms you want. Just fyi op
Not whatever, +/- 250 RPM.

Also, the 17ºBTDC dyno has been done, but it be nice to have as much documentation as possible.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Finally got the mod done yesterday....here's the rub
1. Infinity dealership tech "had been working on these cars for 20 years and never heard of someone doing this".....He and his boys looked it up and then said yeah apparently it can be done on the 00 and 01's (duh)....then the service desk wanted 1 hours labor@ $125...i almost laughed and left.
2. Nissan dealer #1 "needed approval" from some dude and took too long so i finally left after 1/2 hour.
3. Nissan dealer #2 I waited in an empty service bay until I swaw a tech come in to get something..lol....approached him all shadylike. He told me to talk to this dude up at another garage....so I went up there..had to wait for said dude to get off lunch break and approach him all shadylike as well..lol. I felt like a mob guy "delivering a package". He was a mexican guy with a mohawk...always a good sign...got him to meet me outside with the Consult....he had never done it so i had my phone with directions on it. We knocked it out in less than 5 minutes....i slipped him a $20 and he gave me his card. He double checked after the see if it held and he said it read 17degrees...perfect!

If it raises the idle is super slight and almost not noticeable on an auto which drags rpms down in D anyway. The car actually seems to drive like it was really intended to be this way, but they designed it so people could get away with using cheapo gas and not f-ing it up. Car seems to roar to life when I start it. Most noticable gains are right off idle......taking off from a light seems to pull away on its own with no coaxing needed now. Overall probably a pretty damn good $20 mod to round off boltons.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

You forgot the baseline dyno.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Lol....Im satisfied with the butt dyno and the research others have done. In the word of boltons for v6's.....even ballsy ones like ours...2-3whp at ANY point in the rev range is well worth $20 ....plus dyno turns the mod to a $100 mod!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

I don't think there is any documentation on the DEK though.

Either way.