5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 02:00 PM
DOM

how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

Is it worse to accelerate faster to redline or to check the top speed? I have driven my car at 120 m.p.h. but I am afraid that I will ruin my car if I try anything faster. I am really tempted to go all the way. Is this horrible punishment for the car and when do I let off the gas pedal when trying for the top speed? How bad is it to drive long distances for 3 hrs at 100 mph?
I am leaving for Chico this weekend and I can try out my car and let it loose.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

I drove to LA on I-5 doing triple digits... that's where I did the top speed run (stupid limiter... but it's gone now ).

Just don't kill yourself.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

All that will happen is you'll get really sh*tty gas mileage

I once made it from my place in southern Maryland to southeast PA (180 miles) in just a shade over 2 hrs (and that's with 20 miles of low-speed side road driving)

My mileage wasn't very good

Old 01-11-2002, 02:15 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

some guys reported

the tranny overheating at sustained high speeds. Mostly this was TX and LV to LA, one of the few places you can do 100+ for a few hours.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:17 PM

As long as your engine runs at the right temp you can run at redline all day long. Remember I said at redline not past. Have fun and like Y2KevSE said don't kill you're self or anyone else.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by DOM
Is it worse to accelerate faster to redline or to check the top speed? I have driven my car at 120 m.p.h. but I am afraid that I will ruin my car if I try anything faster. I am really tempted to go all the way. Is this horrible punishment for the car and when do I let off the gas pedal when trying for the top speed? How bad is it to drive long distances for 3 hrs at 100 mph?
You let off the gas pedal when you want to slow down. Top speed is obvious - it's when you're no longer accelerating. There is a distinct possibility of horrible punishment for ALL parties involved, and even plenty of innocent parties too. So remember to keep 1st within the limits of your car and 2nd within the limits of your ability to drive your car. Oh, and taking the engine past redline will damage it, regardless of speed.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:20 PM

Re: some guys reported

Originally posted by TimW
the tranny overheating at sustained high speeds. Mostly this was TX and LV to LA, one of the few places you can to 100+ for a few hours.
Very possible. Get a tranny cooler. I have (had) a Hayden 403 on my Accord V6 ($40 at your local auto parts store)
Old 01-11-2002, 02:20 PM

ive done the SF to LA on i5.. stupid cruise control tops at 90mph :P is there a way to get rid of that?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Re: how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

Originally posted by BlackAE

You let off the gas pedal when you want to slow down. Top speed is obvious - it's when you're no longer accelerating. There is a distinct possibility of horrible punishment for ALL parties involved, and even plenty of innocent parties too. So remember to keep 1st within the limits of your car and 2nd within the limits of your ability to drive your car. Oh, and taking the engine past redline will damage it, regardless of speed.
then y is the redline there
Old 01-11-2002, 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

Originally posted by dba1999us

then y is the redline there
So that deaf people know when to change gear.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Re: Re: Re: how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

so why are they in automagic cars??
Old 01-11-2002, 02:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

So are tach's in automagic cars considered rice now?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:42 PM

So that deaf people who use 1 and 2 instead of D for getting up reeeeally steep hills or driving through quicksand know when to shift. Also, a tachometer looks better than a big analog clock.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: how harmful is it to see top speed on my car?

LMAO
Old 01-11-2002, 07:53 PM

what year model you got i got a 2k and cruise tops out at 110

Originally posted by BluLite
ive done the SF to LA on i5.. stupid cruise control tops at 90mph :P is there a way to get rid of that?
Old 01-11-2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by DOM
as long as you can find a long stretch of road without any , you should be ok..don't worry about it..just make sure you can walk out of the car alive..
Old 01-11-2002, 08:01 PM

yeah i did triple digits on I-35 and everything seemed fine
Old 01-11-2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Dario
yeah i did triple digits on I-35 and everything seemed fine
i hit 155 once when i was going to Vegas from Irvine..3-4am in the morning and very little or no traffic...i was pretty scared tho...headlights don't work that well at that speed..

limiter? what's that?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:48 PM

Re: Re: some guys reported

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Very possible. Get a tranny cooler. I have (had) a Hayden 403 on my Accord V6 ($40 at your local auto parts store)
what does the Hayden 403 Tranny Cooler consist of? i might be interested in that.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Maxilicious

LMAO
PRAISE THE LORD
Old 01-12-2002, 12:02 AM

i got the 2k1.. stuck at a little over 90mph
is the speedometer a bit off? i was cruising with my friend going 70mph and my friend said i am going 75mph in his civic?

Originally posted by djPlayboy
what year model you got i got a 2k and cruise tops out at 110

Old 01-12-2002, 12:17 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

max reads 2-3 mph lower @ 70...

at least thats what the GPS says.. actually, thats the same for all nissans I've been in.. Both lexus' I had the GPS in are pretty much dead on. alot of SUVs are WAAAYYY off.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: some guys reported

Originally posted by nissanmaximas
what does the Hayden 403 Tranny Cooler consist of? i might be interested in that.
It's just a mini radiator that you clamp on in front of your cars radiator and then redirect the tranny fluid flow like this...

1) Tranny Fluid Output
2) Stock Tranny Cooler (not really a cooler, more like a regulator)
3) Aftermarket Tranny Cooler
4) Tranny Fluid Input.

I have one my Accord V6 and it doesn't really give any more power, but it does seem to give you early torque converter lockup, and after a very long drive at 80+ most of the way the tranny feels less "slushy" so I guess it helps a little. It's also highly recommended if you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:57 AM

Your gas mileage at 100+ will really suck. The difference between 55 and 65 mph is 15%. I've had my Max up to 140+ on the highway and I think stability became an issue. The car felt like it was floating somewhat. Fortunately, I worked for the only PO-leece that would have stopped me. I don't think short high speed runs will do much damage to the engine but it could do a lot of damage to your wallet. Remember, its all fun and games til a Buick pulls in front of you when the speedo reads 120.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Rich5Spd2K
Remember, its all fun and games til a Buick pulls in front of you when the speedo reads 120.
I run with my hi-beam lights on all the time during the day. It especially helps with all of the idiot drivers in my area (MD/VA/DC). I've never had a problem with retards pulling out right in front of me since running with hi-beams on all the time. I turn them back to regular at night, though, since that can blind people, but during the day there's no harm
Old 01-12-2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I run with my hi-beam lights on all the time during the day. It especially helps with all of the idiot drivers in my area (MD/VA/DC). I've never had a problem with retards pulling out right in front of me since running with hi-beams on all the time. I turn them back to regular at night, though, since that can blind people, but during the day there's no harm

I'm all too familiar with the idiot drivers in MD/DC/VA. I'm glad the high beams work for you. Even with wig-wag high beams, overhead blue and red lights, a spot-light, and siren, people still pulled in front or stopped in front of my Crown-Vic Interceptor while doing 100+ responding to serious calls. People move out of the way of aggressive drivers faster than they do for the Man!
Old 01-12-2002, 10:14 AM

I'm all too familiar with the idiot drivers in MD/DC/VA. I'm glad the high beams work for you. Even with wig-wag high beams, overhead blue and red lights, a spot-light, and siren, people still pulled in front or stopped in front of my Crown-Vic Interceptor while doing 100+ responding to serious calls. People move out of the way of aggressive drivers faster than they do for the Man!
Your a police officer? Cool! Ever give any tickets to Maxima drivers?

Isn't it a law that when you have your sirens/lights on that people have to move out of the way? That's how it is in Canada. If a fire truck/ambulance/police car has their sirens on, then everyone stops and moves to the right (if possible). Basically they make a clear path for the emergency vehicles.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
Isn't it a law that when you have your sirens/lights on that people have to move out of the way?
I think that's how it's supposed to work, but people in this area of the US are too stupid/ignorant/retarded to even bother looking over their shoulder or even check some mirrors before maneuvering. They just do whatever the hell they want and there's a ton of accidents everyday.

My Accord V6 is wrecked because of an idiot driver and now I'm in a rental car and *that* almost got hit just yesterday when some idiot in the right-hand left turning lane decided to come right over into my left-hand left turning lane right at the apex where it got tight so I had to slam on the brakes right in the intersection because that **** cut me right the f*ck off. I nailed it and went after him with my palm firmly on the horn the whole time while I flicked him the bird right behind him. He just shook his head like I was some lunatic and that he didn't do anything wrong.

dumb@ss!!!

BTW, this was an old Corolla with a Supra TT spoiler!!!

Rich5Spd2k - I sent you a PM.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:38 AM
DOM

Tomorrow I will be traveling I think it is I-5? It is so straight and there aren't any cars in sight just about the whole trip. So I guess taht nearing the redline doesn't really ruin the car that much.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:23 PM

Your a police officer? Cool! Ever give any tickets to Maxima drivers?

Isn't it a law that when you have your sirens/lights on that people have to move out of the way? That's how it is in Canada. If a fire truck/ambulance/police car has their sirens on, then everyone stops and moves to the right (if possible). Basically they make a clear path for the emergency vehicles.
I think I stopped a 00 GLE once but that was because the driver decided to back down an on ramp. The law around here says that you must yield right of way to an emergency vehicle (lights and sirens). I was slowly (<10mph) going through an intersection once when someone pulled out in front of me. Needless to say, I hit him. Luckily, the accident review board ruled it a "unpreventable accident". I don't have to worry about these things anymore now that I'm Tommy Lee Jones
Old 01-12-2002, 01:22 PM

I don't have to worry about these things anymore now that I'm Tommy Lee Jones

You guys should move to Toronto, while we do have some idiots on the road, most are pretty competant and follow rules. Almost everyone signals.

I would hate to drive in Boston though. Everytime I visit my uncle/aunt who live there (right in the heart of Boston too), I fear for my life when are driving around the city. People there are MAD! Cut in without signalling, especially those rich folks in their Navigators! Most of them don't even understand the concept of the round-abouts they have in their city!

Horrible I say!
Old 01-12-2002, 03:06 PM

Cut in without signalling, especially those rich folks in their Navigators! Most of them don't even understand the concept of the round-abouts they have in their city!
I firmly under the belief that you should be required to have a chauffers license to drive those damn Navigators. I hate them because they drive like buses!