5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Check This Out.....spark Plugs Give You +6hp.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check This Out.....spark Plugs Give You +6hp.......

Is this true?.....Never ever heard of this brand? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...374379&r=0&t=0
Old 01-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Check This Out.....spark Plugs Give You +6hp.......

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
Is this true?.....Never ever heard of this brand? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...374379&r=0&t=0

uuuh no. but i have heard of them bfr. get a pop or cai for 6+ hp gain dude
Old 01-11-2002, 06:38 PM

6hp maybe

the car has high miles and the spark plugs were probably bad,

by a tuneup with new plugs the car gained 6 hp that is lost with bad plugs.

you will not gain 6 HP with just new plugs.

In college we tested the splitfire and a few other brands and there was no HP gain on the dyno. Maybe some gas eficiency increase, but not HP.

59Hp just with plugs on a honda, they wish!
Old 01-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

no..good plugs won't hurt ur performance(good set of plugs would smooth out the dyno curves) but won't give u 6hp...
but my stickers give me 5hp each..
Old 01-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Telus.net

Iridium does improve response of the car......

but gain only power if you change it from old plugs.

Old 01-11-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Telus.net
Iridium does improve response of the car......

but gain only power if you change it from old plugs.
it's not just the iridium...
even a brand new set of normal plugs will improve reponse if you had shot plugs..it's just too much hype about the iridium..sure they last like forever..but that's not always a good thing..unless maintenance cost is a main concern for u.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Not true, guys.

At least on the Accord V6 these plugs have been dyno proven to give some decent gains on the dyno, and much improved throttle response, esp at the low-end for us. One of our guys dynoed them and got the following results:

Horsepower
Peak Gains: 3 fwhp
Non-Peak Gains: 5-6 fwhp

Torque
Peak Gains: 7 lb-ft
Non-Peak gains: 5-7 lb-ft

I'm not sure about the Maxima and how they'd work on it since all cars are different, but at least on the Accord V6 they do help a good bit. In fact, we've made it part of our "BPU" package

AccordV6.com Link - The Denso Iridium Thread

Somebody here with fairly new plugs should get a set of these, do a baseline run on their good OEM plugs, swap these suckers in and then do another run for comparison. You might be surprised.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:38 PM

Average Consumer

As just an average consumer I would believe 5-10 HO. But 59?
"there's a sucker born every minute"
Old 01-11-2002, 07:39 PM

they're made for Hondas i guess...
it had no effect whatsoever on Maximas..
Old 01-11-2002, 07:45 PM

Iriiridium basicly just sparks hotter also

Originally posted by irvine78

even a brand new set of normal plugs will improve reponse if you had shot plugs..it's just too much hype about the iridium..sure they last like forever..but that's not always a good thing..unless maintenance cost is a main concern for u.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by djPlayboy
Iriiridium basicly just sparks hotter also

hate hotter spark plugs..
me also opt for the colder ones..yeah, they don't last very long compared to the platinum or iridiums..but they're cheaper and serves me better~
Old 01-11-2002, 07:47 PM

whats the difference in the hot and cold...and dont tell me one is hot the other is cold
Old 01-11-2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Dario
whats the difference in the hot and cold...and dont tell me one is hot the other is cold
nah..it's the temp of the spark...
Old 01-11-2002, 07:56 PM

I hear the GS430 uses platinums too. Denso is a good spark plug brand. NGK has an iridium plug brand as well. The people on Toyota boards are happy with Iridium plugs, and Steve posted the much quoted info from an Accord V6. I plan to switch to Iridiums once I change my plugs, probably at 60k, but I probably wouldn't swap out a brand new set...
Old 01-11-2002, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by irvine78
they're made for Hondas i guess...
it had no effect whatsoever on Maximas..
ah well. then forget em!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
ah well. then forget em!

we have no support..
Old 01-11-2002, 08:10 PM

The hot or cold designation has nothing to due with the temp of the spark. Read about it here. The guy on ebay is selling ik16's which are the hotter version, ik20's are the other version. Both are recommended for the Maxima. I'm not sure what the stock plugs are rated as.

http://www.densoiridium.com/heatranges.htm
Old 01-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Sly

I think what everybody really wants to know is where to get them cheap so we can ALL try them out?!

BTW the "heat range" of a spark plug isn't how hot the spark is. It's basically how well the plug dissipates heat. NGK's web site has a good explanation.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Not true, guys.

At least on the Accord V6 these plugs have been dyno proven to give some decent gains on the dyno, and much improved throttle response, esp at the low-end for us. One of our guys dynoed them and got the following results:

Horsepower
Peak Gains: 3 fwhp
Non-Peak Gains: 5-6 fwhp

Torque
Peak Gains: 7 lb-ft
Non-Peak gains: 5-7 lb-ft

I'm not sure about the Maxima and how they'd work on it since all cars are different, but at least on the Accord V6 they do help a good bit. In fact, we've made it part of our "BPU" package

AccordV6.com Link - The Denso Iridium Thread

Somebody here with fairly new plugs should get a set of these, do a baseline run on their good OEM plugs, swap these suckers in and then do another run for comparison. You might be surprised.
Thats correct. I remember reading a article a while back in import tuner, they dynoed about 5 cars and they all had good gains. The comparison was denso iridium VS new oem plugs. One car with a turbo gained 13FWHP(best gain) and the worst was 3.1 FWHP on I beleive a honda Civic.

Do you guy's think changing do Denso Iridium plugs would void my waranty?(my dealer say's a muffler would ) I may buy a set..
Old 01-12-2002, 12:11 AM

Re: Check This Out.....spark Plugs Give You +6hp.......

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
You should be able to do a search. we have talked this to death about the densos. Im running them with an upgraded ignition amp and although my car doesnt feel more powerful, it seems to perform better.

The only quibble I have with what he is selling on ebay is the fact that the 5th gen need the IK16's, not the IQ16's pictured.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Got Bent?

are the Denso Iridium copper plugs? They would have to be replaced relativley sooner as compared to the OEM Platinum NGKs.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:40 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
are the Denso Iridium copper plugs? They would have to be replaced relativley sooner as compared to the OEM Platinum NGKs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

perhaps u should spend some time reading
Old 01-12-2002, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
I forget (probably knew at one point or another) but at least the ones I have are only rated for 30,000 miles of use. I think you can actually use them for around 60,000 or so, but after 30k maybe you just don't get better performance out of them anymore...
Old 01-12-2002, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Dario
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=45742
Old 01-12-2002, 11:55 AM

thanks for the info.....
Old 07-08-2002, 06:01 PM

So do the NGK Platinum Spark Plugs increase HP?

I tried to view the following link from the very first post: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...0374379&r=0&t=0

But unfortunately that item is no longer available, and so is the information that may have been associated with it. So my basic question: has anyone here on these boards actually dyno'd their Maxima before and after getting platinum spark plugs and seen an increase in HP? I had no idea better sparkplugs would increase HP -- I understood you could lose HP with poorly maintained spark plugs, but never the former.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:28 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: So do the NGK Platinum Spark Plugs increase HP?

Originally posted by paxus
I tried to view the following link from the very first post: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...0374379&r=0&t=0

But unfortunately that item is no longer available, and so is the information that may have been associated with it. So my basic question: has anyone here on these boards actually dyno'd their Maxima before and after getting platinum spark plugs and seen an increase in HP? I had no idea better sparkplugs would increase HP -- I understood you could lose HP with poorly maintained spark plugs, but never the former.
I plan to do a dyno test on the Bosch Platinums as soon as they come out for the VQ35. Right now I believe only NGK makes plugs for us.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:11 PM

NGK makes 2 plugs that work well in Maximas with the Nissan Direct Ignition System (NDIS): 1. The Ngk Laser Platinum Plug (often referred to as a double platinum plug because there is a laser welded platinum disc on the center and groungd electrode). 2. NGK has just come out with a new Iridium Plug which is a hybrid, it has an Iridium center electrode and a platinum ground electrode. I have been trying to get a set of these hybrid plugs, got part # from NGK technical support but have been unable to find a vendor who has them yet. The ideal plug would be a double Iridium plug but is going to be much more expensive, if anyone will do it. They would cost probably $35 - $40 per plug.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:04 PM

Iridium Honda CivicZX Turbo

Originally posted by emax95

Thats correct. I remember reading a article a while back in import tuner, they dynoed about 5 cars and they all had good gains. The comparison was denso iridium VS new oem plugs. One car with a turbo gained 13FWHP(best gain) and the worst was 3.1 FWHP on I beleive a honda Civic.

Do you guy's think changing do Denso Iridium plugs would void my waranty?(my dealer say's a muffler would ) I may buy a set..
I believe you are refering to a page at the Denso Iridium site ...What I found very interesting was the 13.5hp gain shown on the dyno chart from the Honda Civic...with a 300ZX Turbo engine!!! I suppose we can't blame him for trying

http://www.densoiridium.com/dynochart.asp?id=2

Maybe there's something to be gained with iridium. Trial and error will tell. My 96GLE is due for a new set and I've been trying to find an alternative to the platinum. Platinum as a conductor is not all that good. I don't think Iridium would be any better as the two elements are very close in nature. Nology Silverstone looked very promising but would likely cause EMI/RFI problems on 4th gens because they are non-resistor and the coil packs are too close. NGK V-Power would be a choice if I were able to determine what plug code for them. BKR5E???? could it be E, or Y? And what about the NGK plugs with the GV designation? A Gold/Palladium alloy could be the ideal. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2002, 10:22 PM

Re: Iridium Honda CivicZX Turbo

Originally posted by volkl77

I believe you are refering to a page at the Denso Iridium site ...What I found very interesting was the 13.5hp gain shown on the dyno chart from the Honda Civic...with a 300ZX Turbo engine!!! I suppose we can't blame him for trying

http://www.densoiridium.com/dynochart.asp?id=2

Maybe there's something to be gained with iridium. Trial and error will tell. My 96GLE is due for a new set and I've been trying to find an alternative to the platinum. Platinum as a conductor is not all that good. I don't think Iridium would be any better as the two elements are very close in nature. Nology Silverstone looked very promising but would likely cause EMI/RFI problems on 4th gens because they are non-resistor and the coil packs are too close. NGK V-Power would be a choice if I were able to determine what plug code for them. BKR5E???? could it be E, or Y? And what about the NGK plugs with the GV designation? A Gold/Palladium alloy could be the ideal. Thoughts?
DENSO recommends you replace their Iridium plugs at 30,000 miles!
You can verify this on their website. Could get a little pricey!
Old 07-13-2002, 12:03 AM

Re: Re: Iridium Honda CivicZX Turbo

Originally posted by karguy

DENSO recommends you replace their Iridium plugs at 30,000 miles!
You can verify this on their website. Could get a little pricey!
hmm im gonnna hit 25000 miles in the next month....i think i should change plugs?..hmm....now..exactly what should i try for everyone?
Old 07-13-2002, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Iridium Honda CivicZX Turbo

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

hmm im gonnna hit 25000 miles in the next month....i think i should change plugs?..hmm....now..exactly what should i try for everyone?
Ok..if you are willing... you can find the NGK Iridium IX plugs at www.clubplug.net
for $6.67/ea. About half the price of the Denso and NGK Platinum...I believe the correct plug is a BKR5EIX-11 (5464).
On the NGK Platinums.. one thing they are IS durable. I pulled the first set at about 31k and now the second set at 97k and you would be splitting hairs to tell the difference between them even though on has twice the milage...Yes I kept the first set for later comparision
Old 07-13-2002, 12:34 AM

any other suggestions?..im proably gonna order plugs within the week..seeing that im gonna be at 25k soon.... Im guessing these Iridium IX plugs are better or equivalent to my stock. Seems like a good price too.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Jer

Void your warranty? Not any different than changing to synthetic oil.

Originally posted by emax95

Old 07-13-2002, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
any other suggestions?..im proably gonna order plugs within the week..seeing that im gonna be at 25k soon.... Im guessing these Iridium IX plugs are better or equivalent to my stock. Seems like a good price too.
NGK has a new hybrid Iridium plug. The center electrode is iridium and the side eletrode is platinum. Cars with NDIS (Nissan Direct Ignition System) need a plug where both electrodes are either platinum, iridium or a combination of the two. I called NGK Corporate Technical Support to get the part number, I found the phone number on their web site. Once you get the part number you can go to vendor of your choice to buy them. I was going to buy them but I have only 3,000 miles on my current set of NGK Laser Platinums. I didn't feel like throwing that much money away to experiment. Your situation is ideal and it would be great to have someone on the forum try them. After all that is what the forum is all about.
Be well!!!!