5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dreaded obx v2 headers install on 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Dreaded obx v2 headers install on 3.0

Ok so I have a 2000 5Speed maxima With a greddy evo 2 exhaust and injen intake I am gonna try and tackle the obx v2 header install this month and I was wondering if you guys have any tips/tricks to make this install less of a headache I know you need to remove the mounts crossmember Etc. and the fitmit is horrible my question is would I need a test pipe? Or can I use the stock cat any input is needed thanks guys
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by David3267
Ok so I have a 2000 5Speed maxima With a greddy evo 2 exhaust and injen intake I am gonna try and tackle the obx v2 header install this month and I was wondering if you guys have any tips/tricks to make this install less of a headache I know you need to remove the mounts crossmember Etc. and the fitmit is horrible my question is would I need a test pipe? Or can I use the stock cat any input is needed thanks guys
A well made test pipe is going to be the same exact size as the stock cat lengthwise. Are you asking if your cat will be fuzed to your b-pipe forcing you to have to torch/cut things apart? Thats a likely scenario, but no you aren't required to use a test pipe with headers. In fact a lot of people use a high flow cat after headers to take a little of the raw racepipe sound out of it. Full headers and straight pipes after will be ungodly loud. Need some sort of resistance or resonator.......
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
A well made test pipe is going to be the same exact size as the stock cat lengthwise. Are you asking if your cat will be fuzed to your b-pipe forcing you to have to torch/cut things apart? Thats a likely scenario, but no you aren't required to use a test pipe with headers. In fact a lot of people use a high flow cat after headers to take a little of the raw racepipe sound out of it. Full headers and straight pipes after will be ungodly loud. Need some sort of resistance or resonator.......
yea that's the thing I've read u have to do some cutting / butchering to get some things to fit ugh! Haven't even started yet and I already have a headache lol
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by David3267
yea that's the thing I've read u have to do some cutting / butchering to get some things to fit ugh! Haven't even started yet and I already have a headache lol
Just warning you....if you just have jack stands and a garage its going to be a pain in the ***. Honestly in my opinion you are better off if you have a local mechanic shop that is mom n' pop with cutting tools and exhaust knowledge, maybe that wont fuss about the legality of taking the precats off. I have tinkered and altered my exhaust setup myself, but the major stuff....like getting a new bank two precat installed on my original manifold was done at a shop...and thank god. Guy had to get out a cutting torch for some stuff...cut out bolts..put in new ones etc etc...would have been a nightmare by myself.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Yeah you can use your stock cat, just hope it isn't all rusted on there, and Fitment isn't horrible just grind a little of the crossmember and plug or weld up o2 bung and add another in the right spot, all stuff I read but let us know how the install goes got a friend who is looking also either these or Cattmans....

Last edited by Rods03Max619; 03-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
Just warning you....if you just have jack stands and a garage its going to be a pain in the ***. Honestly in my opinion you are better off if you have a local mechanic shop that is mom n' pop with cutting tools and exhaust knowledge, maybe that wont fuss about the legality of taking the precats off. I have tinkered and altered my exhaust setup myself, but the major stuff....like getting a new bank two precat installed on my original manifold was done at a shop...and thank god. Guy had to get out a cutting torch for some stuff...cut out bolts..put in new ones etc etc...would have been a nightmare by myself.
Yea I was thinking that if I can take it to a shop cuz I have 152k on the dash pretty sure some bolts under my car are rusted lol my friend works at pep boys and sometimes if its dead he lets me bring my car there for mods and maintenance hopefully he can help me out as well lol
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Yeah you can use your stock cat, just hope it isn't all rusted on there, and Fitment isn't horrible just grind a little of the crossmember and plug or weld up o2 bung and add another in the right spot, all stuff I read but let us know how the install goes got a friend who is looking also either these or Cattmans....
Thanks man I'm gonna post some pics on this thread sometime. This weekend or when I start up the tear down.... I'm on spring break next week from college so gives me a week to mod lmfao
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM

good luck with installing them! they might be a pain because of the rust, you might need a new flange for the cat if it's rusted through, but otherwise install is straight forward

check for the cracks on the header flanges, where they connect attach to the head - the welding seams are thin there.

Also take care of relocating the flange for the o2 sensor before the install - there should be a thread somewhere with exact details where to
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by shaks
Also take care of relocating the flange for the o2 sensor before the install - there should be a thread somewhere with exact details where to
Why not just splice some wire to extend your O2 reach?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Why not just splice some wire to extend your O2 reach?
there is a thread with all the information on these headers;
you need to relocate the bung 90degrees as it sits perpendicular to the body of the car
duiring the acceleration that will cause sensor to break/crack when it hits the body
i believe that this issue was fixed with obx v3 or the ones for 3.5 engine

Last edited by shaks; 03-04-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: what a mess of a sentence
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Spray lots of Liquid Wrench on your studs, nuts, bolts, etc. With a car of that age, you may have issues getting them off. Have a small torch and impact handy, and be prepared to scramble for replacement hardware. My car had 50K or so miles when I did my header install and we broke a couple bolts on the y-pipe (the heat shield bolts are a lost cause I'll tell you now), and even at 90K uninstalling my Cattman headers and reinstalling the stock stuff I had issues with some of the old bolts. Both install and parting out were done with jack and stands, it's not bad if you have big enough of a jack to get the car high, just be careful. I used a couple extra 3 ton jack stands for added security.

Oh and for the front header, you can take the fan off to give yourself more room, it's just a couple bolts more.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Spray lots of Liquid Wrench on your studs, nuts, bolts, etc. With a car of that age, you may have issues getting them off. Have a small torch and impact handy, and be prepared to scramble for replacement hardware. My car had 50K or so miles when I did my header install and we broke a couple bolts on the y-pipe (the heat shield bolts are a lost cause I'll tell you now), and even at 90K uninstalling my Cattman headers and reinstalling the stock stuff I had issues with some of the old bolts. Both install and parting out were done with jack and stands, it's not bad if you have big enough of a jack to get the car high, just be careful. I used a couple extra 3 ton jack stands for added security.

Oh and for the front header, you can take the fan off to give yourself more room, it's just a couple bolts more.

damn thats good to know my other concern was since they are the obx V2 3.5 headers would i have clearance issues for the y pipe since its clearly different then the regular obx 3.0 maxima headers? or is it nothing to be concerned about?