5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cv joint and clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cv joint and clutch!!!

I posted here earlier about my clutch no one responded, oh well.. Here again because my cv boots are obviously going bad, making clicking noises when I left advance auto to get master and slave cylinder to change for the clutch.. So what I am asking is how hard are the joints to change?? I am going to change both left and right, the whole axle too.. I have done cv axles before I am just wondering how hard this one might be.. Also my clutch problem is that so far I haven't found ANY leaks, but my clutch is squishy, disengages at the bottom, and engages right when I take my foot off. Now it still works fine, no leaks, just that engages and disengages late.. Lemme know what you think? I am going to bleed it tomorrow after my kids birthday party.. thanks guys you're awesome..
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
RR5

Checked the fsm??
Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mickeylivmax
I posted here earlier about my clutch no one responded, oh well.. Here again because my cv boots are obviously going bad, making clicking noises when I left advance auto to get master and slave cylinder to change for the clutch.. So what I am asking is how hard are the joints to change?? I am going to change both left and right, the whole axle too.. I have done cv axles before I am just wondering how hard this one might be.. Also my clutch problem is that so far I haven't found ANY leaks, but my clutch is squishy, disengages at the bottom, and engages right when I take my foot off. Now it still works fine, no leaks, just that engages and disengages late.. Lemme know what you think? I am going to bleed it tomorrow after my kids birthday party.. thanks guys you're awesome..
CV axles are pretty easy. The biggest issues are:
- having the correct size socket (I want to say it is 29mm but not sure since the nut size on my aftermarket axle is different than stock)
- getting the axle nut free - I have impacts but you may be able to use a breaker.
- getting the axle free from the knuckle (pb blaster and rubber mallet or wood block)
- remembering to take the bolts out of the bracket on the passenger's side.

One caution, if you are reusing the axle nut, be veeerrrryyy careful not to cross thread. I reused an axle nut, thought I put it on fine, but then when it came time to take it off again I could not get it off. Not even with my 700lb/ft reverse impact.

Look around for a write up.

As for your clutch, I'm not sure. I've had just about every problem (in fact my car is sitting waiting for a new clutch to arrive as I type this) except that one. I would suggest taking a look at the actuator under the hood to see how much it is moving.

If it looks like it has a full range
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yup I am dumb..

my cv joints are fine, it was raining and my struts are out, so when I went to turn it made a horrible sound with my tire rubbing on something.. coulda swore it was the joints, but I checked the boots there fine, as for my clutch.. what is the actuator? right now I am getting ready for the party, but as soon as that's done I am going to bleed this damn thing..