5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 5spd vs 2002 GT Stang 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Performance aside...

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
People will be happy they bought the Maxima when $hit starts to fall off or rattle in the Mustangs. The domestic cars generally lack the quality of their import counterparts.

Trevor

So a 4th gen minima doesn't rattle ?. I guess that imports have less per 100 or 1000 car repairs, however I always see more imports at junkyards than domestics . Some people here have had really crappy maximas, just as people will get crappy mustangs. Given the choice I'd get the mustang over a 4th gen, but not a 3rd gen though hehe they own
Old 01-14-2002, 03:59 PM

Re: Re: Performance aside...

If you look at statistics, imports are usually put together better than domestics. That's all I was saying. I think that overall, they pay attention to quality better. Besides, you can't use junk yards as an example..I mean, probably lots of those cars are there from wrecks...

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

So a 4th gen minima doesn't rattle ?. I guess that imports have less per 100 or 1000 car repairs, however I always see more imports at junkyards than domestics . Some people here have had really crappy maximas, just as people will get crappy mustangs. Given the choice I'd get the mustang over a 4th gen, but not a 3rd gen though hehe they own
Old 01-14-2002, 04:34 PM

Re: Re: Performance aside...

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

my 4th gen has ONE rattle...and it's a VERY minor one at that....
my '98 Grand Prix has TONS AND TONS of rattles...car sounded like it was going to fall apart on a bumpy road...
Old 01-14-2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

I'm very certain of it. My Maxima has trapped out at nearly 96mph here in Kansas City is mid 70 degree weather and at a 1100' altitude. The two 2k2 6 speeds that have run have been at sea level tracks and is much cooler weather. They were trapping out at 94-97mph. You put me on that track and I'm certain my Max wouldn't get walked by a stock 2K2. My 95.6mph trap speed corrects out to be a 14.48@97.1mph for altitude and conditions (baro, temp, humidity).

The 5 speeds 99+ GTs that run at my track are running well over 98mph with many coming close to 100mph. One BONESTOCK GT with drag radials pulled off a 13.6@101mph. With a couple mods (gears, exhaust, UDPs) my friends have been hitting 13.8-13.6@102mph on street tires. I drove my friends 2000 GT when it was stock and it felt much quicker and faster than my Maxima. I've run him on the highway with his only mod being 3.73s and he pulled me at any speed. From 60-110, he got me by 3 cars.

finally someone agrees with me..givin props to domestics, not to flame or anything but people with maximas on this board tend to think they can beat any car out there from what ive read...i dont see any maximas beating any c5 or z06's or any supras in that matter..yea maximas are somewhat fast, but then again they are not a true sports car, ill prob get one in the future, just cause i love maximas, but i hate it when people compare there maximas too a GT stang or anything else..just had to vent..

You guys really need to try and test drive one. I've driven lots of older 5.0s with various mods, 96-98 GTs, a 98 Cobra, and a 2000 GT. The 2000 GT felt quicker from 0-70 than the Cobra, but after that it was all Cobra. The 2000 GT felt just like a 5.0 with a full exhaust and intake manifold. Instead of having the power fall off at 4800rpms like in the 5.0, the reworked 4.6 continued to breath to an indicated 5500rpm. Having that extra 700rpms to work with makes all the difference in the world in the topend.

I feel sorry for you guys. Sometimes I think too many in here are brainwashed and don't give much credit to the domestics. If you think a 2k2 Maxima is going to pull on a well driven 99GT, you're sorely mistaken.

The 99+GT weighs 3280lbs. Makes 260hp and 300ft/lbs (if i remember right). The 2k2 Maxima weighs 3280lbs and makes 255hp and 246ft/lbs. On the dyno, the 2k2 Max is making 200fwhp and 220fwtq. A 99+GT is making 225rwhp and 250rwtq. You do the math. Nissan is either overrating the Maxima hp or the drivetrain has become extremely inefficent. Nissan in underrating the torque (I like that). Ford's power rating are right on par for the agreed upon 15% drivetrain loss for a manual. If you look at the 4.6 dyno, you'd see the power bands are longer and continue further on in the rpms. The GT makes peak hp at nearly the same rpm as the 2k2 Maxima. How in the world will the GT get walked?

Dave
Old 01-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Okay you are obviously dumb.

Let me break this out for you:

Mustang GT weighs 3241 lb
2001 Maxima 5spd weighs 3199 lb. FACTS (www.edmunds.com)

In your last post, you did not read. You said I beat him, and you could not believe that. IN THAT POST I never said I beat him. I said I lost to him, by 1 car by the time I hit mid 3rd gear which was 70-80mph and I let off. If it was a FULL 1/4 run he would have been 1 1/2 cars in front of me by then which is about low 14s in the 1/4 compared to high 14s to low 15s to me.

He knew what he was doing, he also had a passenger, so add another oh, 250 lb because the 2 guys that were in that car were pretty darn big. So I would say he was pushing with passengers close to 4k in weight. Me, 3350.

Your facts are flawed....have a nice day.
What in the hell did you do to make your car so light?

My stock 2001 SE manual with C&C(sunroof, 17" wheels, etc..) weighs in at 3410lbs.(4310GVW - 900 MAX passenger weight) NOT including the driver per drivers door panel. So according to your statement your ~151lbs. for a GRAND TOTAL of 3561 lbs..

Plus don't you have a sub box/amps etc.? That might add some weight.

P.S.: "Your facts are flawed....have a nice day."
Old 01-14-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Performance aside...

If you look at statistics, imports are usually put together better than domestics. That's all I was saying. I think that overall, they pay attention to quality better. Besides, you can't use junk yards as an example..I mean, probably lots of those cars are there from wrecks...
there's gotta be a thread about this subject somewhere--all opinions aside, are there any laws or cultural reasons that would factor in either imports or domestics being of better quality or craftsmanship--any opinions on whether a mustang fully assembled in japan would be of better quality/craftsmanship than that of one built domestically?
Old 01-14-2002, 07:07 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

You must have a heavy car...otehrs have weighed there 5th gens and they weight between 3150-3230. I don't have my subs or anything in the car right now...Just a stock setup currently.

And I know the Maxima did not gain 400lb from the 4th gen...that is a sure fact.

Originally posted by IceY2K1

What in the hell did you do to make your car so light?

My stock 2001 SE manual with C&C(sunroof, 17" wheels, etc..) weighs in at 3410lbs.(4310GVW - 900 MAX passenger weight) NOT including the driver per drivers door panel. So according to your statement your ~151lbs. for a GRAND TOTAL of 3561 lbs..

Plus don't you have a sub box/amps etc.? That might add some weight.

P.S.: "Your facts are flawed....have a nice day."

Old 01-14-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

You must have a heavy car...otehrs have weighed there 5th gens and they weight between 3150-3230. I don't have my subs or anything in the car right now...Just a stock setup currently.

And I know the Maxima did not gain 400lb from the 4th gen...that is a sure fact.

It says on your door jamb(sp?) the Manufacturers Specified Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR). This is different between models(GXE vs. SE vs. GLE), but the same for yours and mine.

Then you subract 180lbs. for each 5-passengers(5-people = 900 lbs.). Add your weight ~151lbs. and you get 3561 lbs..

I know it's difficult to swallow Russ, but it's a 4DSC NOT a 2-door Rustang. We'll never beat them, but we can make them look like fools by hanging close.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:27 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

You don't go by that weight. That is with a full load of people in the car, and a full tank, etc. LOL! I can't believe you would be dumb enough to fall for that like most people do that don't know alot about cars! Come on now!

Yea, my 4th gen showed 3800lb!

Guess what it actually weighed at the scale...

3080 with a full tank of gas, and stuff in the trunk.

It says on your door jamb(sp?) the Manufacturers Specified Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR). This is different between models(GXE vs. SE vs. GLE), but the same for yours and mine.

Then you subract 180lbs. for each 5-passengers(5-people = 900 lbs.). Add your weight ~151lbs. and you get 3561 lbs..

I know it's difficult to swallow Russ, but it's a 4DSC NOT a 2-door Rustang. We'll never beat them, but we can make them look like fools by hanging close.

Old 01-14-2002, 07:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

You don't go by that weight. That is with a full load of people in the car, and a full tank, etc. LOL! I can't believe you would be dumb enough to fall for that like most people do that don't know alot about cars! Come on now!

Yea, my 4th gen showed 3800lb!

Guess what it actually weighed at the scale...

3080 with a full tank of gas, and stuff in the trunk.

Actually, they do weigh that much.

I subtracted the factory added 180lbs. for each missing passenger and usually you have "some" gas/oil/brake fluid/windshield washer fluid/coolant/tranny fluid/etc.. while you drive around on the street.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Performance aside...

I don't think it has much to do with location of assembly...I think it has everything in the world to do with quality control and design. I say this because if you look at Toyota, for example, I believe the Camry is built here in the U.S. and consistantly is at the top of it's class on quality. Don't get me wrong-I wouldn't buy one and I figure that the people that make up the bulk of Camry drivers are not hard on their vehicles, hence they would usually last longer. Still, you have to wonder why vehicles assembled here in Detroit and elsewhere don't have the quality. Simply put, it is because of cost savings. Ask any GM owner after their car has some miles on it..They'll tell you what they think of the General's quality control measures. (But by no means are they the only ones)

Just my opinion...(Which don't mean jack )

Originally posted by mattattax

there's gotta be a thread about this subject somewhere--all opinions aside, are there any laws or cultural reasons that would factor in either imports or domestics being of better quality or craftsmanship--any opinions on whether a mustang fully assembled in japan would be of better quality/craftsmanship than that of one built domestically?
Old 01-14-2002, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

Actually, they do weigh that much.

I subtracted the factory added 180lbs. for each missing passenger and usually you have "some" gas/oil/brake fluid/windshield washer fluid/coolant/tranny fluid/etc.. while you drive around on the street.
Actually they do not weigh that much. The weight on the door is the maximum weight the car can be altogether. Another words if the thing on the door say's 3800 lb's and if the car weighs 3150 lb's it means that the maximum recomended cargo capacity of the car is 650 lb's.

If you still don't believe it go to www.edmunds.com or nissandriven.com , the weights of the car's are clearly stated there. IE, my 95 maxima weighes 3018 lb's{stock} and my 2002 weighs 3218 lb's. And for the coment we will never be able to beat a mustang is complete B.S. My 02 max is faster then any stock pre 98 GT and from a roll I can take a 98+ GT. My I30 and moded 95 have beaten a LOT of V8 mustangs.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:48 PM
EZ

Some of the 4th gens have weighed their car and have gotten under 3000lbs. The 5th gens are super pork and weigh like 3500 lbs j/k I'm sure the 5th gens weight only about 200 more lbs.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey RUSS, "Your facts are flawed...."

Originally posted by emax95

Actually they do not weigh that much. The weight on the door is the maximum weight the car can be altogether. Another words if the thing on the door say's 3800 lb's and if the car weighs 3150 lb's it means that the maximum recomended cargo capacity of the car is 650 lb's.

If you still don't believe it go to www.edmunds.com or nissandriven.com , the weights of the car's are clearly stated there. IE, my 95 maxima weighes 3018 lb's{stock} and my 2002 weighs 3218 lb's. And for the coment we will never be able to beat a mustang is complete B.S. My 02 max is faster then any stock pre 98 GT and from a roll I can take a 98+ GT. My I30 and moded 95 have beaten a LOT of V8 mustangs.
I subtracted for the "cargo" i.e. 4-passengers not being in the car. I've seen SEVERAL different weights posted for 2K1 SE's and they range from 3199-32xx, but nowhere near the 3410 I said mine weighs according to the GVWR sicker. Anyways, I concede for now, until I get it weighed. Thanks for the info.

My not being able to beat a Rustang was meant for mine and Russ's 2K1 definitely NOT a 2K2. That's a totally different ballgame.

BTW, I was just try to get a RISE out of Russ due to his comments to the other guys. Guess it worked!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:20 AM

They're not that fast...

What's with this misconception that Mustangs are fast? I hope that they have made numberous improvements to them since '98, cause I know a couple people that have had '96 and '98. Let's be frank here...A "Pony car" with only 215 HP is pathetic. And these years ('96-'98) the F-bodies were cranking out close to 300HP.

I don't have any doubt about Russ' story...Unless the '99+ GT's are markedly faster, they're still anemic...

Trevor
Old 01-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Re: They're not that fast...

I beat a new Cobra and a Camero SS from a dead stop up to about 80 miles an hour. They were about 1 1/2 - 2 car lengths back at that point. ...oh, that's right I was in my Supra TT (6 speed with mods) at the time. That was easily the most fun race I ever had.

For whatever it is worth... I have beat numerous Mustang GT's over the years in my 3 Maxima's ('94, '97 and '00) and have actually not lost to one of them yet. I think sometimes I win because they don't suspect a 4 door sedan to be a challenger, even if I am inching forward at the light.

In reality, it all comes down to the drivers at the wheel. If the kills (or close races in this situation) that we have don't really matter because we should be using two perfect drivers, then what is the point? Why don't we just calculate the theoretical best possible time for each car. What fun is that?

It does count if a skilled driver in a less powerful car beats out the unskilled driver in the faster ride. There are no laws preventing trailer-trash from buying a Ferrari if they hit it big on the lottery. The car still doesn't come with driving lessons.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:27 AM

I've only raced one Mustang, a 94 GT auto. He was alone and I had another passenger in my car; my friend. We were cruising at another town and we raced from a 30mph roll, of course, after a walked on him he gathered his friends and chased us around town.

Race him again last saturday only this time we both had two other passengers in the car. He lurched foward and I got on the gas chirping downshifting into 1st and slowly gained and walked on him. We shut down and I ask him what mods he has, "nothing" and the dork still doesn't believe that I"m a stock 3.0

Saying that a Maxima CANNOT (Icy2k1) beat a Mustang is ludicrous. Again another

I believe Russ's story.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:45 AM

Excellent kill(s)....Maybe he should buy a Maxima and see what he's missing.

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
I've only raced one Mustang, a 94 GT auto. He was alone and I had another passenger in my car; my friend. We were cruising at another town and we raced from a 30mph roll, of course, after a walked on him he gathered his friends and chased us around town.

Race him again last saturday only this time we both had two other passengers in the car. He lurched foward and I got on the gas chirping downshifting into 1st and slowly gained and walked on him. We shut down and I ask him what mods he has, "nothing" and the dork still doesn't believe that I"m a stock 3.0

I believe Russ's story.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:57 AM

READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

I've only raced one Mustang, a 94 GT auto.

The comparison was a 2001 5spd vs 2002 GT Stang 5spd NOT a "94 GT auto".

Again, I NEVER said Russ didn't beat him. In fact, Russ never said he beat him, only stayed with him. That was what I was trying to say.

The Maxima is an AWESOME 4DSC! No doubt! The 2002 GT Rustangs with 260hp/300+tq or whatever are a MAJOR improvement over the POS 215/225hp earlier gen mustangs that a lot of non-musclecars could beat. That is until they put a little money into them.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:09 AM

Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

Whatever your opinion of Mustangs or Russ' story, I think it's pretty ignorant of you to keep referring to them as "Rustangs". Does that make you feel better about ******* him? Geez, we're all friends here, sharing a common interest. You don't have to keep knocking him down just because you don't agree with something he said.

Trevor

Again, I NEVER said Russ didn't beat him. In fact, Russ never said he beat him, only stayed with him. That was what I was trying to say.

The Maxima is an AWESOME 4DSC! No doubt! The 2002 GT Rustangs with 260hp/300+tq or whatever are a MAJOR improvement over the POS 215/225hp earlier gen mustangs that a lot of non-musclecars could beat. That is until they put a little money into them.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:39 AM

Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

Whatever your opinion of Mustangs or Russ' story, I think it's pretty ignorant of you to keep referring to them as "Rustangs". Does that make you feel better about ******* him? Geez, we're all friends here, sharing a common interest. You don't have to keep knocking him down just because you don't agree with something he said.

Trevor

What are you talking about "******* him"?

My calling a Mustang a Rustang has NOTHING to do with Russ's race. Just previous experience with Mustangs around here. Sorry.

I never dog/pick on anyone unless they are ATTACKING someone else. My ORIGINAL comment was in regards to where Russ got his "FACTS" from when Russ quoted someESLE posting as using "flawed facts". My comment was in response to Russ's "Almighty One" attitude. No ******* here.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:48 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

I thought he meant you were saying Russ-tangs... did you mean Rust-angs because of rust? It's hard to get subtle things in type.

What are you talking about "******* him"?

My calling a Mustang a Rustang has NOTHING to do with Russ's race. Just previous experience with Mustangs around here. Sorry.

I never dog/pick on anyone unless they are ATTACKING someone else.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I thought he meant you were saying Russ-tangs... did you mean Rust-angs because of rust? It's hard to get subtle things in type.

Yes, Rust-angs.

Now I see where that comment was from.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

That's all right..I didn't mean to react like that. I just hate to see fellow Max people get beat up on. Sorry for my comments.

Trevor

Yes, Rust-angs.

Now I see where that comment was from.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

That's all right..I didn't mean to react like that. I just hate to see fellow Max people get beat up on. Sorry for my comments.

Trevor

No sweat.

I will NEVER flame a fellow .org member again! After all the slack I got on this one. Although, I can only put up with so much, before I have to jump in though.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:29 PM
is invisible

Only because it's Russ...

Old 01-16-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

Yes this thread was about a 2001 Max Vs. 2002 GT. BUT, you had to make a blanket statement that NO MAXIMA can beat a MUSTANG meaning you are refering to all MAXIMA'S and all MUSTANG'S. Then you go and insult me and telling me to read the title of the thread. I know what it is. You and several others, including me, just had to mention other cars making a whole mess of this thread.

Calling them Rustangs isn't helping you much. It just shows what you are and your level of intelligence. Show some respect, they are decent cars.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:25 PM

Re: Only because it's Russ...

Originally posted by CoolMax
rolleyes

Russ
Old 01-16-2002, 01:37 PM

Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

Yes this thread was about a 2001 Max Vs. 2002 GT. BUT, you had to make a blanket statement that NO MAXIMA can beat a MUSTANG meaning you are refering to all MAXIMA'S and all MUSTANG'S. Then you go and insult me and telling me to read the title of the thread. I know what it is. You and several others, including me, just had to mention other cars making a whole mess of this thread.

Calling them Rustangs isn't helping you much. It just shows what you are and your level of intelligence. Show some respect, they are decent cars.
Hmmmmn. I'm in the 5th gen. section of a Maxima website discussing a topic of a 2K1 vs. a '02 GT and I should specify what Maxima I'm referring to when I'm talking(typing) to someone who own's a 2K1, I don't think so. If I need to clarify for YOU, please let me know next time.

It's just a nickname. Like Honduuuuh, Ackura, FORD = Found On Road Dead or FU(C)KED Over Rebuilt Dodge, Minima, etc.. Can't think of anymore right now!

The day I can't joke around about other vehicles NO matter how awesome they are, is the day I stop being an automotive enthusiast and dedicating my LIFE to the automotive performance industry.

Never said I didn't have respect for Rustangs and if you ever would like to compare intelligence, PLEASE make my day.

BTW, Rustangs SUCK. J/K of course.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:46 PM

I have a hard time respecting the Mustang. About a year ago I had a V6 as a rental car. I was at a stoplight with a friend in the car in heavy pouring rain. All of the sudden it felt like someone was rocking the car side to side. We glanced out the windows trying to figure out what was going on. Then it bacame completely obvious. The motion of the wipers going back and forth on the windshield got the car rocking back and forth while the car was not moving. Turn off the wipers and the rocking stopped. We laughed for the rest of the trip about that one!
Old 01-16-2002, 01:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

Hmmmmn. I'm in the 5th gen. section of a Maxima website discussing a topic of a 2K1 vs. a '02 GT and I should specify what Maxima I'm referring to when I'm talking(typing) to someone who own's a 2K1, I don't think so. If I need to clarify for YOU, please let me know next time.

It's just a nickname. Like Honduuuuh, Ackura, FORD = Found On Road Dead or FU(C)KED Over Rebuilt Dodge, Minima, etc.. Can't think of anymore right now!

The day I can't joke around about other vehicles NO matter how awesome they are, is the day I stop being an automotive enthusiast and dedicating my LIFE to the automotive performance industry.

Never said I didn't have respect for Rustangs and if you ever would like to compare intelligence, PLEASE make my day.

BTW, Rustangs SUCK. J/K of course.
Yes I'm that stupid. You must clarify everything for me Just think about what you said in your last couple of post though.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: READ the title of the thread AGAIN...

No problem.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

I'm very certain of it. My Maxima has trapped out at nearly 96mph here in Kansas City is mid 70 degree weather and at a 1100' altitude. The two 2k2 6 speeds that have run have been at sea level tracks and is much cooler weather. They were trapping out at 94-97mph. You put me on that track and I'm certain my Max wouldn't get walked by a stock 2K2. My 95.6mph trap speed corrects out to be a 14.48@97.1mph for altitude and conditions (baro, temp, humidity).

The 5 speeds 99+ GTs that run at my track are running well over 98mph with many coming close to 100mph. One BONESTOCK GT with drag radials pulled off a 13.6@101mph. With a couple mods (gears, exhaust, UDPs) my friends have been hitting 13.8-13.6@102mph on street tires. I drove my friends 2000 GT when it was stock and it felt much quicker and faster than my Maxima. I've run him on the highway with his only mod being 3.73s and he pulled me at any speed. From 60-110, he got me by 3 cars.

You guys really need to try and test drive one. I've driven lots of older 5.0s with various mods, 96-98 GTs, a 98 Cobra, and a 2000 GT. The 2000 GT felt quicker from 0-70 than the Cobra, but after that it was all Cobra. The 2000 GT felt just like a 5.0 with a full exhaust and intake manifold. Instead of having the power fall off at 4800rpms like in the 5.0, the reworked 4.6 continued to breath to an indicated 5500rpm. Having that extra 700rpms to work with makes all the difference in the world in the topend.

I feel sorry for you guys. Sometimes I think too many in here are brainwashed and don't give much credit to the domestics. If you think a 2k2 Maxima is going to pull on a well driven 99GT, you're sorely mistaken.

The 99+GT weighs 3280lbs. Makes 260hp and 300ft/lbs (if i remember right). The 2k2 Maxima weighs 3280lbs and makes 255hp and 246ft/lbs. On the dyno, the 2k2 Max is making 200fwhp and 220fwtq. A 99+GT is making 225rwhp and 250rwtq. You do the math. Nissan is either overrating the Maxima hp or the drivetrain has become extremely inefficent. Nissan in underrating the torque (I like that). Ford's power rating are right on par for the agreed upon 15% drivetrain loss for a manual. If you look at the 4.6 dyno, you'd see the power bands are longer and continue further on in the rpms. The GT makes peak hp at nearly the same rpm as the 2k2 Maxima. How in the world will the GT get walked?

Dave
Who ever said a 2K2 6spd max would walk a 98+ GT? I never did, I said I would not be suprised if I could take one on the highway and that I don't think a GT could walk me. For what it's worth I have an intake too.

You are comparing your car to a GT, your car is a bit slower then my car. I have a 95 max that is modded even more then your's and I know my 2002 would walk my 95{any where}, no questions asked. I have raced several 98+ GT's in my modded 95 and from a stop light they pull a car on me in 1st and then slowly inch away. From a roll a 98+ GT barely pulled on me, if he missed a shift it was all over for him. Now back to my original point, my 2K2 is a good bit faster then my 95 especialy from a dead stop. Seeing how a GT pulled on my 95 I highly dow't I would get walked on a roll in my 02. At best a GT would beat me, it would not "walk" me. Seeing that a GT has RWD and is only a tenth or two quicker in the 1/4 mile I highly dow't they have better top end, it just does not add up, then throw in the added power of my intake

BTW a 2002 6spd max put down 203 FWHP, keep in mind this car is brand new. I bet one it hit's 10,000 miles we will see another 5 FWHP. I noticed you said the GT is putting down 225 FWHP, do they all make that much or are you using the best dyno you ever saw? I bet there is a stock 2K2 putting out 210 FWHP somewhere.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:55 PM

emax95...I noticed in your sig you have "0-60=5.7".

Originally posted by emax95

How do you know your 0-60 mph is 5.7 seconds? Magazines?

Just wondering if you have a 1/4-mile slip yet?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:57 PM

I have a hard time respecting the Mustang. About a year ago I had a V6 as a rental car. I was at a stoplight with a friend in the car in heavy pouring rain. All of the sudden it felt like someone was rocking the car side to side. We glanced out the windows trying to figure out what was going on. Then it bacame completely obvious. The motion of the wipers going back and forth on the windshield got the car rocking back and forth while the car was not moving. Turn off the wipers and the rocking stopped. We laughed for the rest of the trip about that one!