5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SAFC/TUNE or COILOVERS.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^And that's just boltons, I'm secretly jealous.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM

.....its respectable obviously. Im cool with the fact that I can reach stock 3.5 levels with a few mods on the 3.0.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM

Im going to Walking Dead this thread

Is there any truth to some of the stuff I've read about coilovers not lasting as long for a DD as shocks n springs?

If I got HP's and H&R springs.....I'd have enough left over to buy some name brand hubcentric spacers for the rear wheels....would look pretty sharp....

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim

Is there any truth to some of the stuff I've read about coilovers not lasting as long for a DD as shocks n springs?

If I got HP's and H&R springs.....I'd have enough left over to buy some name brand hubcentric spacers for the rear wheels....would look pretty sharp....

Thoughts?
If you're still on stock wheels, you should also get a set of spacers for the front also.

I got my suspension set-up when coilovers were rather new and my car was a DD. And I was also in your situation, and decided not to being a DD and all the storied of them needing to be rebuilt, etc.

BUT, if coilovers were as popular as they are now back then, I'd be rocking as set on my car.

If they need a rebuild, then get a rebuild, just like struts/shocks, they don't last forever.

I like the semi simplicity of struts/springs, but suspension travel is compromised and there is some bottoming out, and there is definitely something to be said about flexibility, and also the benefits of coilovers.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Thoughts?
Get coilovers do NOT get anything else. Maximas have very limited suspension travel as is, so you need a shock that has enough rebound to support even less suspension travel with a shorter spring. The drop on a lot of the springs for A33s is uneven from front to back also. The struts that offer adjustable dampening are expensive and don't fix the issues with the lack of travel.

A nice coilover will allow you to change the ride height without sacrificing suspension travel, allowing you to have a nice ride regardless of your height.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you're still on stock wheels, you should also get a set of spacers for the front also.

I got my suspension set-up when coilovers were rather new and my car was a DD. And I was also in your situation, and decided not to being a DD and all the storied of them needing to be rebuilt, etc.

BUT, if coilovers were as popular as they are now back then, I'd be rocking as set on my car.

If they need a rebuild, then get a rebuild, just like struts/shocks, they don't last forever.

I like the semi simplicity of struts/springs, but suspension travel is compromised and there is some bottoming out, and there is definitely something to be said about flexibility, and also the benefits of coilovers.
Ok..thanks. Yeah, I'm likely only going to get the rears. The front actually looks pretty tasteful to me and with a 1.5ish drop will look great. They sunk the rears inward for some ungodly reason, so Im gonna get some nice 25mm hubcentric ones that come with lug extensions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ichiba-Version-2-Hubcentric-25mm-Wheel-Spacers-2-Piece-Nissan-Infiniti-/360632399224?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3AMaxima&hash=item53f75db578&vxp=mtr#shId
To give you an idea of whats in my head I want to give it more of a rear-out E46 M3 look. I love that look. Yeah its FWD but ****it! What looks good looks good!

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Get coilovers do NOT get anything else. Maximas have very limited suspension travel as is, so you need a shock that has enough rebound to support even less suspension travel with a shorter spring. The drop on a lot of the springs for A33s is uneven from front to back also. The struts that offer adjustable dampening are expensive and don't fix the issues with the lack of travel.

A nice coilover will allow you to change the ride height without sacrificing suspension travel, allowing you to have a nice ride regardless of your height.
Noted man. Sounds like coilovers for the win. The only reason I was even questioning it (again) was because my car has 175k on it. I'd like this purchase to be the last suspension I ever have to get for it!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 PM

Ok..thanks. Yeah, I'm likely only going to get the rears. The front actually looks pretty tasteful to me and with a 1.5ish drop will look great. They sunk the rears inward for some ungodly reason, so Im gonna get some nice 25mm hubcentric ones that come with lug extensions.

Ichiba Version 2 Hubcentric 25mm Wheel Spacers 2 Piece Nissan Infiniti | eBay

To give you an idea of whats in my head I want to give it more of a rear-out E46 M3 look. I love that look. Yeah its FWD but ****it! What looks good looks good!

Noted man. Sounds like coilovers for the win. The only reason I was even questioning it (again) was because my car has 175k on it. I'd like this purchase to be the last suspension I ever have to get for it!
Dude my car has 175k on it and look what I did to it!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

I got 130k and still modding away so that statement is pretty invalid here. Look at the 4th gen forums, and 3rd.

10mm in fronts will do a lot for looks, I didn't think so either until one winter I decided to try it, and have yet to regret it.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Lol. I guess I need to back up all my crap talking about "bulletproof DE-k" with my actions then eh...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I got 130k and still modding away so that statement is pretty invalid here. Look at the 4th gen forums, and 3rd.

10mm in fronts will do a lot for looks, I didn't think so either until one winter I decided to try it, and have yet to regret it.
Heard. Im gonna try the rears first then decide on fronts after coilovers. I also did the straightedge trick using the tire and realized that 25mm in rear would be too much...it would put the tire under the metal fender flare part. It would have to be 15mm...that would make them 5mm further out then the front.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There's a guy on here who took his de-K to 400K miles. Still going, too.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Impressive.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Conecarver

Another coilover vote. You might not feel the speed difference after the tune. Coilovers however will help transform it into something fun again.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Yeah that seems to be what Im hearing. Not to mention for the money coilovers are a big component upgrade to the car that's very important. Im planning I think to actually do them BEFORE the y pipe now.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Conecarver

Find a local .org member with c/o's and ride with them and you'll see.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 AM

I want the piggyback as my next mod on my list but sadly there is NO ONE to tune the Max in the St Louis area(that I know of). I may have to make a trip to Chicago
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM

That sucks....I live 2 miles from my favorite speed shop