5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein ss coilovers suck!! Do not buy them

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Tein ss coilovers suck!! Do not buy them

I am so frustrated right now. I have had my tein SS coilovers for a little under two years and less then 16k miles with daily driving and the driver side strut is deader then crap. This is horrible considering that my stock struts lasted well over 100k. The strut literally has zero bounce back and is leaking BAD!

Honestly after all I experienced with aftermarket parts the quality is downright horrible. If I knew this I would have just gotten KYB's and some lowering springs. Not to mention a replacement I heard can take awhile to get and this is my daily driver. Thank god I have another car which doesn't have Tein's but KYB's and progressive springs.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM

That sounds about right for the Teins. DD'ing CO's is always a bad idea IMO. They are simply not meant for ****ty roads, they are meant for track performance. If you DD them, then expect to replace the struts every few years
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Nice to know, on my BCs so far so Good, (knocks on Wood)...
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
That sounds about right for the Teins. DD'ing CO's is always a bad idea IMO. They are simply not meant for ****ty roads, they are meant for track performance. If you DD them, then expect to replace the struts every few years
Wouldnt this have more to do with setting the coilover on something closer to daily driving/slightly aggressive mode, than its all out race settings? At least on the Meghan's Im looking to buy they have settings for what type of driving you are doing. Driving around the city on race stiffness I would imagine would kill them much quicker.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 AM

I have had coilovers on Mustangs and I currently have Pfadts on my Z06, Shaft snapping is a common occurance. I will never buy coilovers again.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 AM

How low do you have your Teins? Did you buy them new or used? Do you drive your car all year long? I just got the new Tein SA coilovers (havent installed them yet) but they are supposed to have thicker pistons on them and all. I have not heard too many problems with the Tein SS coilovers. I have Tokico blue struts and Eibach Springs and I tell you after riding in a car with coilovers I HAD to upgrade. To me there is just no combo of strut/springs, at least on the Maxima, that will give the handling and comfort that coilovers do. I mean there is always a price to pay to superior comfort and performance. When you start changing the car from OEM to aftermarket these are the things we have to deal with.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Toolie

I've had my teins on for 2 seasons including two winters and no problems at all
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Same here on my tien ss. Great coilover with no problems
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM

no prob with my tien ss. it was decently low when i bought it raised the back 2 inches cause i dont care about wheel gap and rather have it function
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Got Retrofit?

Teins should definitely last longer than 16K miles..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM

What kind of KYB's do you have with the lowering springs?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Ya I know I read a couple of forums already and Tein SS coilover struts should last 40-50k. I live in Dallas and the roads are pretty smooth in comparison to PA country roads where your driving on part gravel.

I've had kyb GR-2 on my turboed 94 altima with progressive springs
Kyb GR-2's on my girls Sentra SE-R Spec V and on my Toyota Celica. I know I don't have much of a drop but the struts lasted awhile.

I read on there site the coilover's are for daily driving/track so they should last for daily driving. I never SCCA'ed my car or really used the coilovers like I should have. 16,000 miles/2 years is nothing!! Besides the other struts are holding up so far cross my fingers.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
Wouldnt this have more to do with setting the coilover on something closer to daily driving/slightly aggressive mode, than its all out race settings? At least on the Meghan's Im looking to buy they have settings for what type of driving you are doing. Driving around the city on race stiffness I would imagine would kill them much quicker.
I like Megan springs a lot. I run them in my Celica with KYB GR-2 and its tolerable. My TEIN's caused a bad strut mount and now the struts bad on the other side. So a lot of work on my suspension in 2 years. I just want to install and go and then work on the next project not continually need to maintain an inferior product.

We will see. I am waiting feedback from Tein. Sent my strut in today and wasted a few hours of my life I can't get back
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I've had my teins on for 2 seasons including two winters and no problems at all
Ya that is where I was. And all the sudden one day it gave way. Keep your receipt's if you still can. I got a screenshot from ebay and kumura motoring where I bought them.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by WTF?
I have had coilovers on Mustangs and I currently have Pfadts on my Z06, Shaft snapping is a common occurance. I will never buy coilovers again.

HOLY ****!! Ya I am with ya. Coilover's are a bit junk sauce. I think a really good strut and conservative spring will beat a coilover in reliability. My buddy at works having major problems with his coilovers too. Just not meant for street driving.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by melvinman2003
HOLY ****!! Ya I am with ya. Coilover's are a bit junk sauce. I think a really good strut and conservative spring will beat a coilover in reliability. My buddy at works having major problems with his coilovers too. Just not meant for street driving.
Well you have a few people above that have stated no problems with their Teins....so thats not true what you said about them not meant for the street.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM

who installed the coilovers that could of been ur problem or did u take a look under once in a while make sure nothin has lossen up.Now when it comes down to coilover jic and tein ss are on the top of the list,but reason i wouldnt buy those brands is they are made overseas so i heard it could take about up to 6 months for replacement shock,so i have ksport thier ok so if i break a shock a replacement wont take more that two weeks,that also goes for d2,megan,and bc.and 1 thing is for sure once u have coilovers u cant drive it like its truck,hey ur car can handle way better now u should use it to dodge pot holes.
i have my 6gen 250lbs of music in the trunk in these nyc streets that is probaly in the top 5 in the country as worst streets going threw bumps that are not avoidable everyday and over 14k and no problems,and of course tuned by me and i did not get the settings right on the first try to get how u want it in i can even feel the weight.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Tein SS had over 40K miles, IIRC, when I sold them to another Org member, who I believe is still using them with no issue. Either way, running budget coilovers on a daily driver is always a risk, even if many of us have done so without any problems.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM

I have gotten more mileage out of my D2s.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Well you have a few people above that have stated no problems with their Teins....so thats not true what you said about them not meant for the street.
Maybe mines a defect. FYI you should pull that turbo blanket off your turbo. Not only is a fire hazard but it will degrade the life of the turbo and the cast iron over time. You need to get the hot side ceramic coated with 2000+ degree paint if you can. I got mine done at a place that paints the hot side of turbo's for aircraft's. Same goes for heat wrap. It messes up the properties of the metal overtime.

Coilover's I installed so no install problem. You have to be a moron to install them wrong.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Maybe mines a defect. FYI you should pull that turbo blanket off your turbo. Not only is a fire hazard but it will degrade the life of the turbo and the cast iron over time. You need to get the hot side ceramic coated with 2000+ degree paint if you can. I got mine done at a place that paints the hot side of turbo's for aircraft's. Same goes for heat wrap. It messes up the properties of the metal overtime.
I'll look into that thanks. I know Im having Downpipe and feedpipe ceramic coated this time around. Car is in shop now. Never knew turbo blanket was a fire hazard or degrading the life of the turbo. Shift_Max has had one on his turbo Maxima with no problems or fires and the turbo is still functional. I'll do more research thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

#1 most am parts are NEVER going to last as long as stock.
#2 people have had much better luck with the same COs
#3 just have them repair it, it is inexpensive. if you can't afford to have your car down for a week or two don't mod critical parts.

good luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I'll look into that thanks. I know Im having Downpipe and feedpipe ceramic coated this time around. Car is in shop now. Never knew turbo blanket was a fire hazard or degrading the life of the turbo. Shift_Max has had one on his turbo Maxima with no problems or fires and the turbo is still functional. I'll do more research thanks.
Ya when I pulled mine off I had a nice burn mark and started to disintegrate. I am also running more boost then you are on my Celica but still I did not like seeing that, my t3/t4e also failed shortly after so I upgraded to the precision and ball bearing is the shiz. I am currently rebuilding the t3/t4e to do a rear mount turbo kit on my maxima.

ATS racing told me about it and then I did research. Heat wrap and turbo blankets are bad news. I would rather keep my turbo in good shape then cooling underhood temps a couple degrees, your turbo won't cool down as fast on shutdown either since its retaining heat.

Here is a nice article on that:
http://rukse-com.hubpages.com/hub/Ce...g-vs-Heat-Wrap

I got mine done at http://www.qualitypowdercoating.com/ but im sure in PA there are places that do it.

Its a 2000+ degree powder coat and keeps all the heat out while forcing it out the exhaust. It was about $125 to do the turbo manifold, turbo compressor side and wastegate dump tube so the price was reasonable. They also warrantied it forever.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
#1 most am parts are NEVER going to last as long as stock.
#2 people have had much better luck with the same COs
#3 just have them repair it, it is inexpensive. if you can't afford to have your car down for a week or two don't mod critical parts.

good luck.
If this starts to happen more frequently I might just get a strut/shock combo so I have backups in downtime. Luckily I got two cars. Just don't like driving my race car as my daily. Its fun now since its been cold as crap here. My celica is liking the cold air.

Aftermarket parts can last awhile if the quality and engineering is there.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

If this starts to happen more frequently I might just get a strut/shock combo so I have backups in downtime. Luckily I got two cars. Just don't like driving my race car as my daily. Its fun now since its been cold as crap here. My celica is liking the cold air.

Aftermarket parts can last awhile if the quality and engineering is there.
pics of race car please!

I think they are probably the best CO out there for the money. Depending of course what your goals are. You can pick em up used cheap. I always want some JICs never got to ride in a car with them but the reviews were always good. Pricey though...
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Another tein ss owner here and no issues with them. And this is a daily driver.

But it depends where you live and how the roads are.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Coilovers in general suck. They were designed for track not street driving, so that's why you see a lot of guys taking them off and putting them up for sale. Teins are just well marketed so ppl buy them
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM

I'm kind of baffled by some of the comments in this thread.

1. Coilovers are NOT designed exclusively for track OR street by the name "coilover".
The Coilover terminology basically just means that the height and dampning is adjustable. Just like most cool stuff, especially suspension, it originated in racing.
The Tein SS are NOT A RACING COILOVER. Not even close. They are specifically designed for the street. And they will last just fine on the street.

Coilovers that are specifically designed for top tier track use are meant to be rebuilt or cleaned every race or sooner, those are not meant for the street. When coilovers first started out they were more of a race-spec and thusly don't last, whether it's in racing or on the street. They're simply not designed to. Especially the seals.

2. The Tein SS specifically is extremely reliable. It's easily the most reputable reliable coilover for this car. There's numerous members who have put them through harsh salt winters, rough roads, and high mileage with no issues.

3. Anyone who owns aftermarket coilovers should clean them as much as possible and lube them regularly. This is common knowledge and becomes a regular maintenance thing when you own these components if you want them to last as long as OEM stuff does.

Whatever is wrong with your ONE shock does not throw an entire model under the bus. If all of them failed then maybe you have some grounds to say that. But not the case, you may have hit a bad pothole and bent the shaft, something that, while less likely, could have happened to even a stock part. Coilovers are more succeptible to this because they're generally smaller shafts than stock, and have a firmer spring rate that is normally Linear (stock is progressive).

They also allow less flex in the strut assembly, which means a hard impact can bend it or damage it. But that also translates to better handling and response due to lack of flex. It's a trade off.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

1. Coilovers are NOT designed exclusively for track OR street by the name "coilover".
The Coilover terminology basically just means that the height and dampning is adjustable. Just like most cool stuff, especially suspension, it originated in racing.
The Tein SS are NOT A RACING COILOVER. Not even close. They are specifically designed for the street. And they will last just fine on the street.

Coilovers that are specifically designed for top tier track use are meant to be rebuilt or cleaned every race or sooner, those are not meant for the street. When coilovers first started out they were more of a race-spec and thusly don't last, whether it's in racing or on the street. They're simply not designed to. Especially the seals.

2. The Tein SS specifically is extremely reliable. It's easily the most reputable reliable coilover for this car. There's numerous members who have put them through harsh salt winters, rough roads, and high mileage with no issues.

3. Anyone who owns aftermarket coilovers should clean them as much as possible and lube them regularly. This is common knowledge and becomes a regular maintenance thing when you own these components if you want them to last as long as OEM stuff does.

Whatever is wrong with your ONE shock does not throw an entire model under the bus. If all of them failed then maybe you have some grounds to say that. But not the case, you may have hit a bad pothole and bent the shaft, something that, while less likely, could have happened to even a stock part. Coilovers are more succeptible to this because they're generally smaller shafts than stock, and have a firmer spring rate that is normally Linear (stock is progressive).

They also allow less flex in the strut assembly, which means a hard impact can bend it or damage it. But that also translates to better handling and response due to lack of flex. It's a trade off.
While all of this might be in part true it doesn't take away from the fact Tein CO's are not top tier. Far from it. Its like any other product, some people have good luck with them and some people don't. I didn't mean to make it sound like Teins were crappy but if I had them I wouldn't expect them to last over 3 years without issues. A spring and strut is just the most reliable in my opinion. Clean your CO's? I agree you should but most probably go with the "Aint nobody got time fo dat" approach.

On my 4th gen I wanted CO's but I wanted mid to top tier and I couldnt afford those and wasnt about to get the everyday cheap ones just to say "I have CO's. So I went with custom rate springs and AGX's(GC's) and although the ride is far from perfect it still allows me to have fun while not having to worry about large maintenance costs. If the struts go bad I replace them. Only thing I am upset about is the GC's are made for AGX's meaning I cant experiment with another brand. My 25c
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM

well said wizard.
i totaly forgot that ss stands for superstreet duh meant for the street.when i first was going to buy i so wanted the tein ss,but like i said replacement shock takes a a long time i hed back and they twice the price if u wanna adjust the damper from ur driver seat,and thats is the s###.its like having an M5 or AMG.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Banned

While all of this might be in part true it doesn't take away from the fact Tein CO's are not top tier. Far from it. Its like any other product, some people have good luck with them and some people don't. I didn't mean to make it sound like Teins were crappy but if I had them I wouldn't expect them to last over 3 years without issues. A spring and strut is just the most reliable in my opinion. Clean your CO's? I agree you should but most probably go with the "Aint nobody got time fo dat" approach.

On my 4th gen I wanted CO's but I wanted mid to top tier and I couldnt afford those and wasnt about to get the everyday cheap ones just to say "I have CO's. So I went with custom rate springs and AGX's(GC's) and although the ride is far from perfect it still allows me to have fun while not having to worry about large maintenance costs. If the struts go bad I replace them. Only thing I am upset about is the GC's are made for AGX's meaning I cant experiment with another brand. My 25c
They work wit dem koni too brudder
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM

I ordered the ones for AGX's. THey make ones for Konis but sadly I didnt get those
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Banned

I ordered the ones for AGX's. THey make ones for Konis but sadly I didnt get those
Slacker!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM

Ya I agree. I think I got a defective one. I hope I get it back soon. I might just buy a set of springs and struts as a backup if TEIN takes there time because I don't like my daily being broke down.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
pics of race car please!

I think they are probably the best CO out there for the money. Depending of course what your goals are. You can pick em up used cheap. I always want some JICs never got to ride in a car with them but the reviews were always good. Pricey though...
OLD OLD vid of Celica:

Celica Thread:
http://www.celispeed.com/forums/5th-...d-picture.html

Both are old. I need new pictures and a video. Running a Racepack gauge cluster so looks like a indy car with full digital readout. Awesome shiftlights on it
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM

That video was the first engine which was stock. Then second engine had wiseco's and I had piston slap and blew the head since MLS headgaskets on a closed block is a bad idea. On third engine revision now with JE Pistons high heat ceramic coated, felpro headgasket which holds boost well in combo with ARP headstud's with the ARP lube. Car is a beast and its built to hold well over 26 psi because I made damn sure the piston rings had enough gap for high boost. If I were to build another I have the specs to make it a bulletproof motor again. The JE pistons are 88 mm, its a 2.3 5sfe. People dog on the 5sfe but it has done very well for me. Car dynoed well but I had to tweak the tune a little more and put in a beefier clutch with a 3sgte lightweight flywheel.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM

FYI I used to be on altimas.net and my name was nissanfreak. I built a 1994 altima with a turbo back around 2000 when turbo kits were a rarity on imports. I have defected to Toyota's now LOL.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 PM

Tein SS are actually awesome CO's. I would recommend them over a lot of CO's that we have available. There are plenty of cars on Tiens on this site that are problem free. the only knock on them is they cant go as low as some of the other brands which is really just preference.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 AM

How much are you really expecting to get for $1000-$1400?
What coilovers are better that are available for our maximas?

There's better coilovers, sure, but not for this car. Before you say JIC you might want to research the reliability and reviews on them

Teins only cost about $100-200 to repair/replace per corner, and that's for the whole thing. Same as replacing a strut. Except it's way less work.

There's a pile of less reliable strut/spring combos that are way crappier than the Tein's.

There's little to no Tein SS issues, really, considering that 9/10 people only post on a forum/online when something negative happens, there's no bad reviews on this product to mention, they're all good reviews.

You will simply NOT find a spring strut combo that rides as good as the Tein SS/SA, period. They outperform in every aspect, are adjustable, etc.

Also the only good spring strut combo is not available for the 5th gen last time I checked anyways, and it's still rougher than the Tein's are.

Have you ever been in a 5th gen on tein ss? You will instantly retract all the negativity lol.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 04-11-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM

How much are you really expecting to get for $1000-$1400?
What coilovers are better that are available for our maximas?

There's better coilovers, sure, but not for this car. Before you say JIC you might want to research the reliability and reviews on them

Teins only cost about $100-200 to repair/replace per corner, and that's for the whole thing. Same as replacing a strut. Except it's way less work.

There's a pile of less reliable strut/spring combos that are way crappier than the Tein's.

There's little to no Tein SS issues, really, considering that 9/10 people only post on a forum/online when something negative happens, there's no bad reviews on this product to mention, they're all good reviews.

You will simply NOT find a spring strut combo that rides as good as the Tein SS/SA, period. They outperform in every aspect, are adjustable, etc.

Also the only good spring strut combo is not available for the 5th gen last time I checked anyways, and it's still rougher than the Tein's are.

Have you ever been in a 5th gen on tein ss? You will instantly retract all the negativity lol.
Yeah man. I have Tokico Blues and Eibach springs....rode in a car with coilovers.....SOLD! Bought Tein SAs with the EDFC and thanks to knight_xzy I got the stiffer springs in the front and back. When they get installed I will post a review. NO STRUT/SPRING COMBO is better than coilovers....at least not on the maxima...maybe on other cars with MUCH better aftermarket support there is....but not the 5th gen Maxima! From what I understand they dont even make the JIC Magic coilovers anymore for the Maxima.....so that tells me something.

Quick Reply: Tein ss coilovers suck!! Do not buy them