5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car vibrating when braking - rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Car vibrating when braking - rotors

My 2003 vibrates when I brake. I think its the rotors because I've never had them replaced. My questions are,

1. How can I check the rotors to see if they are ok? Can this be done w/out removing them?

2. Would it only be the front rotors or the rear ones too, that would need to be replaced?

Thank you
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If the vibration happens when you brake, especially after the brakes are warmed up and at highway speeds, then you have pad material transfer on the rotor surface which is commonly referred to as "warped brakes". This is felt in the steering wheel and is almost always caused by the front rotors.

Replace the front rotors and pads.
Check the condition of the rear brakes and replace what's necessary.
Bleed the entire brake system - Brake fluid is hydroscopic by nature (absorbs moisture) and should be replaced regularly.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM

njmax, thanks for the response. Is there any way to visually check the rotors before doing any work?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Could also be the tie rod(s) or ball joint
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Well look at it this way, the surface of your rotor should be smooth that you can pass your finger over and you should not feel or see any score lines going around the rotor. If If there is score lines or rust on the surface as if the pad is not applying properly to the rotor, then replace the rotor and regrease caliper guide pins.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 PM

I've got 140k miles on the car. Just wondering if its ok to resurface the rotors or should they be replaced?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 PM

REAPLACE!!

If you are doing the job yourself, check the calipers for seized calipers too. If not ask your mech to do so. If you have seized calipers you are just wasting money by putting on just pads and rotors (cause you'll end up replacing them again). Also dont buy cheap **** and then think its going to work like the good stuff....
Old 06-08-2013, 01:04 AM
RR5

Remove the slider bolt holding the caliper to the rotor and move the caliper up/down (depending on what bolt was removed) then feel the rotor surface with your finger. It should feel smooth.

I thought vibration when breaking was caused by the pads being heated unevenly causing the pad material to warp. Not the rotor since it's a stronger metal.

For blank rotors just get them turned and slap in new pads.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
Remove the slider bolt holding the caliper to the rotor and move the caliper up/down (depending on what bolt was removed) then feel the rotor surface with your finger. It should feel smooth.

I thought vibration when breaking was caused by the pads being heated unevenly causing the pad material to warp. Not the rotor since it's a stronger metal.

For blank rotors just get them turned and slap in new pads.
Everybody is entitled to there opinion... But I would suggest not taking that advise. If your rotors are smooth, they can still be warped. Yes you are right that the pads can cause vibrations, but because they are softer they stay even, the rotors are what warp due to the high heat and the perfectectly flat surface they are supposed to have.... If you imagine a glowing hot piece of metal being squeezed by a high pressure system (IE your calipers/pads) over and over again, the pads just wear away, where the rotors have nothing but to absorb the heat and get hotter and eventually will start to warp.
Again if you have $40 "blank" rotor and you go get them turned (machined) you are just wasting your money that your should be putting towards new rotors. Turning rotors are not the solution, especailly if they are warped. Rotors these days are not like the old. They come with an almost one time use on them. Even if you buy the most expensive Brembo Blanks (I have these right now) I might get 2 sets of pads out of them, and they will be past the min to turn.

My advice, replace your rotors and pads with decent stuff. Brembo blanks and Hawk pads or Akebono. Get your calipers checked out. If they are seized, even one, replace them both. And dont do it right the first time so you dont end up spending even more money down the road. Remember we are talking about your brakes, this is SAFETY stuff. Its not like an oil leak that you can just push to the back...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM
RR5

I guess people don't research before posting anymore.

http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphi...ake_discs.html
Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 AM

http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphi...ake_discs.html

He is refering to a situation in which you JUST REPLACED THE ROTORS AND PADS. OP says he has brake vibration under brake, but I would assume that his rotors and pads are not brand new his he stated he never replaced them.

YES this article is a great write up about seeding in your brakes, and why you might miss diagnose your "warped" disc's for in proper seeding. I see it all the time. What I think the OP needs a proper diagnostic of what his braking system needs by visiual and mechanical experience.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM
RR5

The rotors are blank thus able to be turned which means spending less money than buying new blank rotors. Then head over to the group deal/buy forum and pick up some brake pads from importRP and call it a day.

After the rotors and pads have been in service for many miles you'll feel vibrations during braking in the steering wheel long before the pad wears down sufficiently enough to cause the squeaking sound associated with the piece of metal that scrapes the rotor during breaking.

But yes, easiest solution is replace the rotors and pads. Check the brake fluid and bleed the calipers according to the FSM and call it a day.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the input, all. I had the pads and rotors replaced today and the shaking is gone. I take it to a local gas station where the guy lets me bring in my own parts. Yes, the issue was the shaking when braking which I thought was caused by warping. Haven't read the article yet.