5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test Pipe Smell That Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Test Pipe Smell That Bad?

Sooo I did my searching on High Flow Cat vs Test Pipe. I know the test pipe will be a bit louder which I don't mind but I was just wondering, how bad is that test pipe smell lol. I mean I can deal with a little exhaust smell but is it so bad to where u dont wanna drive down the back roads with the window down bad? Like fart bad? or just exhaust bad? LMAO I just don't want to have a girl in my car and she's wondering if I farted. But hey in all seriousness um so yeah is it bad to where no matter what you will smell it with the windows down? or just if you are standing around the car you can smell the exhaust? thanks for the feedback peoples
BTW Was planning on getting:
http://www.custommaxima.com/product/...e/Default.aspx
or
http://www.custommaxima.com/product/...t/Default.aspx

Last edited by NYTooCooL; 05-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM

.....if you are asking these questions, just dont buy a test pipe.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM

I have one and really don't even smell much of a difference from my Fastcat, especially rolling or at a stop sign or stop light, but some others will say that the smell is more there than others, only like 35bucks or less for one if don't like it sell it...
Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
I have one and really don't even smell much of a difference from my Fastcat, especially rolling or at a stop sign or stop light, but some others will say that the smell is more there than others, only like 35bucks or less for one if don't like it sell it...
is it a stinky smell or a regular exhaust smell when you do smell it?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Dude ur engine isn't a human digestive system, why would you even think it would smell like flatulence?? lol

When someone drives behind you they cab smell it. It smells like Unburnt gas... so sorta like gas with exhaust smell. Ever been around motorcycles? they smell like that all the time
Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Do you have the precats still on your car or do you have headers?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Just go with a high flow cat. hp gains are no different (neither is nominal from stock anyway) and your still legal. I have a magnaflow cat with a srs catback, no rotten egg smell unless I'm wot.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JWatZ
Just go with a high flow cat. hp gains are no different (neither is nominal from stock anyway) and your still legal. I have a magnaflow cat with a srs catback, no rotten egg smell unless I'm wot.
urine idiot. You don't get a rotten egg smell from having a test pipe or being catless. You get that rotten egg crap when your cat needs to be replaced.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM

dont doo it, when warming up the car its around you lol Just terrible to breath in. Done it, switched back to stock.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Derpa derp, you are absolutely correct. My 2 month old cat needs to be replaced because it's shot. My pre cats are gutted as well, should of stated that. OP was concerned about smell in the cabin, sorry to be an idiot and post. I'll go back to Derpaderpistan with the other idiots.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JWatZ
Derpa derp, you are absolutely correct. My 2 month old cat needs to be replaced because it's shot. My pre cats are gutted as well, should of stated that. OP was concerned about smell in the cabin, sorry to be an idiot and post. I'll go back to Derpaderpistan with the other idiots.
Yes because magnaflow cats are so reliable? You should not be smelling any egg smell at all.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 PM

You are the cat master, sorry to comment my personal experience. Please forgive me.
Originally Posted by VQMagic
Yes because magnaflow cats are so reliable? You should not be smelling any egg smell at all.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by crusher103
.....if you are asking these questions, just dont buy a test pipe.
+1
Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by VQMagic
Do you have the precats still on your car or do you have headers?
i have precats but i just swapped my front main precat and i just put in an engine with 61k, i just wanna replace the main cat since its probably clogged from the old precat going out. Im waiting for Brian Cattman to start production on his new headers...already spoke with him. I guess ill try this http://www.custommaxima.com/product/...e/Default.aspx
Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
i have precats but i just swapped my front main precat and i just put in an engine with 61k, i just wanna replace the main cat since its probably clogged from the old precat going out. Im waiting for Brian Cattman to start production on his new headers...already spoke with him. I guess ill try this http://www.custommaxima.com/product/...e/Default.aspx
Yes, please, get headers asap.

For the love of all Maximas, do not replace cats

Test pipe smells fine. Smells like a manly exhaust should. I have no idea how you would ever smell it inside the car, anyway, even with the all the windows down.
When you rip by some goof ball they'll know a man was near
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM

I hate test pipe smell. It's disgusting and makes your car smell like a total pos. I don't want other people getting behind my car in traffic and thinking, what a piece of shyt!!

if a cop gets behind you and wants to be a douche you are going to get a very hefty fine also and maybe even towed away. That isn't a common occurrence but they CAN do it
Old 05-20-2013, 05:10 AM

It's not worth the MAYBE 5 hp you could gain. You will not feel the difference
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

People always forget my dyno.

Name:  latestcomp_6-10.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  90.4 KB
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I hate test pipe smell. It's disgusting and makes your car smell like a total pos. I don't want other people getting behind my car in traffic and thinking, what a piece of shyt!!

if a cop gets behind you and wants to be a douche you are going to get a very hefty fine also and maybe even towed away. That isn't a common occurrence but they CAN do it

Agreed we had a test pipe in place of my catalytic converter and the wife hated it when we had our windows down and she said my clothes smelled like exhaust when i would always drive it so not worth it to me.

I will admit at idle in traffic you can really smell it and gave me headaches so we put a magnaflow high cat on there and happy as can be now.

As for the fine for having a test pipe in NE it's $2500 for the individual without a functional cat and $25,000 for the shop that took it off. If the cop suspects you of not having a cat since some test pipes look like high flow cats. They will give you a citation to have the vehicle inspected and smog tested by a local shop to verify you have one within 5 business days of issuing it. Then you bring the inspection back to the courthouse. If you don't within 5 days your fined the full $2500. Most people that have test pipes will just swap them out for there old cat and get it inspected but that's too much of a hassle for me.

Last edited by a33nismo; 05-20-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 AM

2.5" Maggy hfc here... It only smells bit rich when I have my windows and i reverse park
Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 AM

I would Agree if we drove RX7/8s. You DO NOT want to be stuck behind one of those oil burners with a test pipe on it. Especially if its running synthetic oil you will hate your life.

It's not worth the MAYBE 5 hp you could gain. You will not feel the difference
felt a difference when i installed my test pipe especially on top end

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
People always forget my dyno.

Finally some proof that upgrading to an HFC or test pipe makes a difference, a couple of other people on the forum told me that test pipes dont do anything and the maxima has a pretty efficient cat.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Crusher103

felt a difference when i installed my test pipe especially on top end

Finally some proof that upgrading to an HFC or test pipe makes a difference, a couple of other people on the forum told me that test pipes dont do anything and the maxima has a pretty efficient cat.
I used to be one of those people til I dyno'd. I know I really felt a difference in both the 4th gen and this one on the top end.

Just a little background, the red is with the FastCat, and the blue is with a 2.5" test pipe.