5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Member - 5th gen 2000 Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM

New Member - 5th gen 2000 Maxima SE

Hello to all, I'm a new member here and just wanted to quickly introduce myself and my car. I've been around these forums for years now looking up stuff just never signed up to be a member. Don't know why because I should have.

Finally I decided to sign up and here I am. I've had the pleasure of owning Nissan's and specifically Maxima's and I30's for some years now. I believe that's good for a start, let me introduce my car.

Here is my 2000 Maxima SE, fully-loaded with every available option, sterling mist with black leather interior:

Pretty much all stock outside, I tinted the windows, got smoked side markers for the front, changed the lights to a customized 5.5gen style look with black background, and I put 5000K HID's in both my low-beams and high-beams. Other than that, I changed a bunch of light bulbs all around the car but I think that's it for the exterior. I try to keep it clean.

Just another good pic at dusk.

Here is another nice side shot at dusk, right after cleaning and polishing the whole car basically front to back and side to side.

Back shot of the car.

A bunch of pics of my low-beam HID's at night. I just got the high-beams done and took pics but haven't put them up here yet.

As far as performance mods on the car go, so far I've put in a Cattman Y-Pipe and high-flow CAT. Now I'm going to do an intake (short ram-air I think), and next will want headers, mid-pipe, Cattback, etc, others stuff, etc, etc...

That's my car, before her I had a 2001 I30 black on black. I had that I30 for a bunch of years and put many miles on it, in the end I ended up blowing the tranny from driving hard all those years right at around 200k, and got rid of it then got my Maxima that I have now just over 1.5 years ago.

Bought my Maxima from an older gentleman (80 yrs old, couldn't drive anymore, family was sending him to assisted living and he didn't want to go or sell the car), he kept the car in excellent condition - garage kept all its life, all maintenance done at all times, perfect condition on the inside, and low miles, only thing he did was put a small little dent and scratch on one side from not being able to see due to being old. My only hope was that it would be a 5MT when I was looking for my max, I ended up buying this one with the 4AT because the car and the deal was so good I just couldn't pass it up. I'm only at 78k miles right now, definitely couldn't pass up the deal.

Tell me what you guys think, that's my introduction and I'll be waiting to meet everyone.

Last edited by D.Stillwell; 05-24-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Welcome to the org. The car looks nice. I hope you and the car take good care of each other.

If you don't have a service manual, you can get one here:
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

The only thing with the service manual is that there are 2 versions for the 2000 model. Nissan made changes to the car during the production run. To determine which manual you should download, look at the last 8 digits of the VIN.

for VINs up to and including YT0 12236 or YT2 11680 or YT5 27429 or YT7 40491,
Download the manual called the 2000 manual.
on the front page of the FWD section, it reads
Edition: April 1999
Revision: June 2000
Publication No. SM0E-1A33U3

for VINs higher than the above, download the manual called the 2000.5 manual.
On the front page of the FWD section, it reads
Edition: November 1999
Revision: January 2001
Publication No. SM0E-1A33U5
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 AM

How much you pay? Need coilovers or drop springs! but nice start!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Welcome to the org. The car looks nice. I hope you and the car take good care of each other.

If you don't have a service manual, you can get one here:
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

The only thing with the service manual is that there are 2 versions for the 2000 model. Nissan made changes to the car during the production run. To determine which manual you should download, look at the last 8 digits of the VIN.

for VINs up to and including YT0 12236 or YT2 11680 or YT5 27429 or YT7 40491,
Download the manual called the 2000 manual.
on the front page of the FWD section, it reads
Edition: April 1999
Revision: June 2000
Publication No. SM0E-1A33U3

for VINs higher than the above, download the manual called the 2000.5 manual.
On the front page of the FWD section, it reads
Edition: November 1999
Revision: January 2001
Publication No. SM0E-1A33U5
Hey thanks for the reply and the welcome, and comments on the car. And even more importantly, thanks for posting that info on the service manuals for me right away, that's awesome and could have been very useful. Luckily I have the manual and everything else the car came with, the old man was very good about taking care of her. And even better yet, luckily everything works like it should so for now I couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
How much you pay? Need coilovers or drop springs! but nice start!
I got the car with 64k miles on it, I've put on 14k in the last 1.5yrs or so. Paid $7k for the car, and to this day it seems like it was a good deal because even the dealer is offering me $4500 TRADE-IN for the thing with the 78k miles I have now and I can easily resell for $8000 minimum. But I don't want to sell it. Now, for the coilovers, yes I want them and they're part of my plans.

As a matter of fact, I've really been contemplating recently on what I should do next, the headers/intake or the suspension first. I kind of really leaning towards suspension lately because to me suspension/handling mods > performance mods.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Welcome, +1 on Coilovers. I would have it look good before I modded performance but that's just me
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Luckily I have the manual and everything else the car came with
I think you are talking about the OWNERS manual. He is showing you the FSM (factory service manual). It is a big ol' book that doesn't come with a car but walks you through any diagnostic and repair. If that came with your car then that is another awesome score!

Also, nice car! Why not smoke out the rear corners too? And it does need a little drop!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick4189
Welcome, +1 on Coilovers. I would have it look good before I modded performance but that's just me
Yeah, I definitely want to get some coilovers for sure. Not because I don't think it looks good enough the way I have it now. But for performance wise, I mean in my book whenever you're making any kind of noticeable HP gains the suspension should be upgraded.

That's just the way I've always went about it. Suspension upgrade is always awesome even without any other upgrades, so that's def going to happen. We'll see what I end up doing first now - headers/intake or the coilovers, I think it might depend on price at this point.

If anyone can point me in the right direction towards a good nice deal on either some headers or some good coilovers that would be great, and depending on the price difference, basically I'm probably going to get the cheaper thing first and then wait a few months to get the other.

And BTW, I've wondered about doing a 5MT drop recently and that I would really love. Now, thing is I'm just not very confident that I'm gonna have the ***** to take on something so serious. I see you've done it, can you tell me about it? And if possible, point me in the right direction towards a good thread or two where I can read about it? Thanks much dude, I know I could find it myself but since you have it done I'm gonna choose to be lazy

Originally Posted by 2damax
I think you are talking about the OWNERS manual. He is showing you the FSM (factory service manual). It is a big ol' book that doesn't come with a car but walks you through any diagnostic and repair. If that came with your car then that is another awesome score!

Also, nice car! Why not smoke out the rear corners too? And it does need a little drop!
Ahhh, yes indeed you're absolutely right. That one sure didn't come with the car. But I actually do have one of those FSM's that I got for my last car when I had the 2001 Infiniti VQ30. I'm not sure of the differences between that one FSM and the other one made for the older 2k, the Maxima I have now was built in 01/2000 so that book may have a few differences.

Definitely a very highly useful post and I already bookmarked the correct FSM I need. Thanks for that one post, and thanks to you for clearing up that he was talking bout FSM...

As for the rear corners, I'm actually thinking about it now what to do with them. I left them red on purpose at first thinking it would look good that way but now I def want to go and smoke out the rear ones as well. I actually bought 2 cans of rustoleum tint shade yesterday (one translucent black and one translucent silver) and am going to test it out.

I painted my interior front dome light yesterday with the translucent silver and it came out exactly how I wanted it. On the outside the lens looks silver literally the exact color of my car but when the light is on it's nice and perfectly visible and lights up everything but way less brightness and glare. Now I can turn that light on while driving and it no longer bothers your eyes at all with the silver shading. (I can take some pics if anyone cares to see this).

Now I'm not sure how that silver would look on the side markers , and I've thought about it. Today I'm actually gonna test out that translucent silver on my old front yellow side markers that I took out of the car. See how that looks, I'm not sure the silver will be good but perhaps it will come out awesome and I'll like it. So we'll see, if it looks like diddly pooh then I'll go with the translucent black.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep em coming!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Welcome!

Nice car dude! Welcome! I'm new here myself and my car is pretty much the same as yours. Coilovers would definitely make a difference so I agree
Old 05-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Looks exactly like mine! except i bought with 203k miles and 5speed and came with a rusted out radiator support all for $3400.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 PM

I did do a 6MT swap not sure how that would go in a 5th instead of a 5.5. There is a walk through and lots of info in my thread about the swap. Just so you know lowering the car doesn't help the handling and performance. Just looks if anything it hurts it lol
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM

welcome dude, and i agree with the fellas you need a drop
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Welcome, nice car take good care of her.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 AM

I did do a 6MT swap not sure how that would go in a 5th instead of a 5.5. There is a walk through and lots of info in my thread about the swap. Just so you know lowering the car doesn't help the handling and performance. Just looks if anything it hurts it lol
I was actually thinking of a 5MT swap since it is a 5th gen, and I actually almost prefer that 5MT over the 6MT in my particular car, in the cars I've driven (2k-03 maximas) many of the 5MT's felt way better and stronger than the 6MT's..

But then again, it really depends on what's easier and works better in my car. I'll have to do lots and lots of research on this, because I REALLY REALLY WANT to do this but it really is such a big and serious undertaking. Most important thing I care to know is -- How did you go about putting in an entire new pedal and how was that labor wise??

I'm thinking a 5MT drop in and do a timing advance, thanks for all your replies so far dude. I'm going to do lots of research and go look at your thread for a while on this...

And finally, you're trying to tell me that lowering the car doesn't help handling & performance? Come on now, what about that lower drag and center of gravity? What about FORMULA1?? Have they been lying to me all my life??? Cornering and handling ability? LOL jk dude, I know lowering isn't gonna do me much, I just want to make sure to drop it just enough that it doesn't actually become detrimental.

After that, 20th AE and SE-R and GT-R badges for an additional +40WHP. Handling through the roof, aerodynamics on those badges is incredible!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 AM

Of all the things in the swap, pedal was by far the easier of the items. The real pain was wiring harness, ECU, shaving the mounts, and so on.

The handling situation is for a more experienced member but I do recall a thread where it was discussed. I thought lower is better but even though the car responds good and the body roll is gone and it feels tighter I think it was shown how the handling is not improved just utilized more. Again more experience can help I believe it was tunermax that was talking about it
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 PM

The Infiniti service manual would be the same for most mechanical stuff, but there are many differences in the electrical systems. In fact, every model year has changes from the previous year. And the Infiniti has options that aren't in the Maxima. One thing I've learned is to never use the wiring diagrams from another year's car.

With the production date of your car being close to the end of the 2000 production run, you need the manual listed as 2000.5.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 PM

Welcome and Clean Max, On the drop....
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 AM

Of all the things in the swap, pedal was by far the easier of the items. The real pain was wiring harness, ECU, shaving the mounts, and so on.

The handling situation is for a more experienced member but I do recall a thread where it was discussed. I thought lower is better but even though the car responds good and the body roll is gone and it feels tighter I think it was shown how the handling is not improved just utilized more. Again more experience can help I believe it was tunermax that was talking about it
Yeah, I spoke to my best friends dad about the tranny drop (40+ yrs as mechanic at Benz) and he said the same thing as you, far as difficulty of it goes. Maybe I can solicit him to help out

Thanks for pointing me towards the suspension (handling) thread, got some good information there.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The Infiniti service manual would be the same for most mechanical stuff, but there are many differences in the electrical systems. In fact, every model year has changes from the previous year. And the Infiniti has options that aren't in the Maxima. One thing I've learned is to never use the wiring diagrams from another year's car.

With the production date of your car being close to the end of the 2000 production run, you need the manual listed as 2000.5.
Yes indeed you're correct. As a matter of fact, I miss my rear auto sunshade, auto dimming mirror w/ compass, and steering wheel audio controls already from my I30, that I now don't have on the same exact car just a year older max.

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Welcome and Clean Max, On the drop....
Thanks dude! Can't wait to drop it.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM

I have a read sunshade, auto dimming mirror, and radio controls on the steering wheel
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 AM

new mods update

So I've got some updates and stuff on what I've done recently (w/ pics of course):

Smoked out (or you can say blacked out) all my side markers.

Did the GAB mod. I did it with 8 smaller holes for now. I believe I'm gonna just go ahead and saw that whole end off today. Already got a K&N in there.

Now I've got a question here, when I did the GAB last night my friend noticed that my intake wasn't connected to the air box. You can see it slightly in this pic (that greenish stuff on the bottom of the pic right next to my red battery terminal cover), I put a small amt of sealer on there and for now it's attached.

I have no clue how long I've been driving like this but needless to say its good that I fixed it and that my friend saw it. What do I do about this one? Do you guys know the proper way that plastic intake pipe is supposed to be attached to the air box?? It seems like someone tried to put it on before with some ****ty sealer that ended up failing, some moron even put bathroom silicone caulking on there. Jesus.

Please someone tell me how that thing is supposed to be attached? The plastic piece that slides over the air box seems to be missing something to me because I can't figure a way to attach it, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be attached just with a part without any sealers in there.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, if someone with a 5th gen can look at theirs and let me know how it is, and maybe even take a pic or two, that would be extremely awesome and I thank you.

Thanks for all the help guys, and let me know your thoughts on the airbox, should I just cut the whole front of it off instead of having those 8 holes?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 AM

I have a read sunshade, auto dimming mirror, and radio controls on the steering wheel
RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YOU!! Haha lol yeah man, those 5.5 gens, I know it. I had all that stuff too only 1.5yrs ago on the good ol' I30. Actually, I've been trying to find some of those things and install em in the max. You got any good suggestions on where to look for these things?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Banned

RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YOU!! Haha lol yeah man, those 5.5 gens, I know it. I had all that stuff too only 1.5yrs ago on the good ol' I30. Actually, I've been trying to find some of those things and install em in the max. You got any good suggestions on where to look for these things?
Car-parts.com,nissans unlimited(ask for Sugatitz),classified section
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM

more updates (mods, fixes)

Originally Posted by cjandura
Car-parts.com,nissans unlimited(ask for Sugatitz),classified section
Sugatitz eh? I won't even dare to think about that name any further and why someone is named this. And how I would even say it or ask for it on the phone lol

Here are some more updates of what I've been doing on my memorial morning so far w/pics:

Upgraded my GAB from 8-holes to full cutout. I did a nice job on it with the saw also and smoothed out the edges. Love it so far, the boost it gives esp. together w/ the Y-pipe, the sound of it, and opening it fully definitely made it really work. I can tell that it gained a few hp from this mod for sure. (Esp, because I just re-connected all my intake connections, which I discovered to be bad and loose - all 3 of them).

And the best part is, after I did all this 2 hrs worth of work going back to the house I ran into an 01 maxima GXE all stock with 20" rims on it and those young kids thought they were cool and of course he got walked badly, loved that one.

Here is another good pic of the GAB now. But the real work, and it really was some kinda tough work in some very, very tight spaces, is the connection points that secured all around. You can see the main one right there that goes to the air box, right next to the red cover on the battery - I installed a small coupler on the inside of it and put a clamp right behind the plastic piece so it can't move backwards:

Here are the other two connections, underneath the intake. Top-left is the main one with the clamp on it and I actually was able to stick a smaller diameter coupler on the inside as well and then clamped it on top. Bottom-right snaps in place but I still put thermal tape around the inside which bonds and protects against water, temps up to 500F and up to 700PSI:

All in all now my system flows properly, it's all connected and you can even hear the difference. I've been driving around with a disconnected intake pipe for a while. Unreal, I can't believe I let that slip under the radar, and good thing my friend noticed it. Of course I cleaned all the pipes out completely and finished em off with MAF cleaner on the inside just to really make it good.

Now it flows right, got the GAB and it sounds awesome. And of course it's just way faster considering all that I did to fix what I thought was already in place.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Suspension Yoda

Welcome to the forum! Tons of useful info here.

Be sure to check out two things when you get a chance.
1. All the info you'll ever need to know about your suspension:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html

2. I've created (and sell) a replacement cover for the flimsy saggy spare tire cover in your trunk. Check it out and let me know if you want one!
http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...tion-sale.html
Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Welcome to the forum! Tons of useful info here.

Be sure to check out two things when you get a chance.
1. All the info you'll ever need to know about your suspension:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html

2. I've created (and sell) a replacement cover for the flimsy saggy spare tire cover in your trunk. Check it out and let me know if you want one!
http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...tion-sale.html
Hey thanks for the welcome and the info dude. Very useful suspension thread, I've already been through that one and quite a few others.

Considering that I'm not interested in a drop/bigger wheels just for looks. I definitely have lots of homework to do, I'm interested in keeping my 17's w/ 225/45/17 (I think this is the perfect size for my car to get the best combined handling/speed) and go with a suspension setup that's actually gonna make the car's handling better not just looks.

And about the spare tire cover, I did check it out and it does look good. I haven't experienced much problems with the sagging of the stock one because I have a full size spare in there and my cargo net installed on top of it where I keep all my things. Would this cover work w/ a full size spare or no? If it doesn't then obviously it's no good for me, but if it does then perhaps I'm still interested and would like to know total $$ shipped.

Thanks dude.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Suspension Yoda

Hey thanks for the welcome and the info dude. Very useful suspension thread, I've already been through that one and quite a few others.

Considering that I'm not interested in a drop/bigger wheels just for looks. I definitely have lots of homework to do, I'm interested in keeping my 17's w/ 225/45/17 (I think this is the perfect size for my car to get the best combined handling/speed) and go with a suspension setup that's actually gonna make the car's handling better not just looks.

And about the spare tire cover, I did check it out and it does look good. I haven't experienced much problems with the sagging of the stock one because I have a full size spare in there and my cargo net installed on top of it where I keep all my things. Would this cover work w/ a full size spare or no? If it doesn't then obviously it's no good for me, but if it does then perhaps I'm still interested and would like to know total $$ shipped.

Thanks dude.
Depends what size your spare tire is. Does it protrude upwards past the height of the trunk floor or is it still submerged?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM

My spare is 225/45/17 on the OEM wheels. It does protrude upwards ever so slightly, which if anything is way better than having that crappy sagging cover that used to lay on top of a crappy steel donut spare.

If anything, the raise might be like .5" at the very most and makes the cover straight for the most part.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Suspension Yoda

Well as much as I'd like to sell you a cover, my board will not work with your spare. It's designed for donut and semi-donut sized spares

Will look out for your posts in my suspension thread.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 PM

That's unfortunate because the cover is nice. But oh well, the donut had to go. Ever since I've had my I30 with the full size spare I'll never have another car w/o one. I have terrible memories involving a donut spare, don't ask.

Can't wait to start working on my suspension, just waiting to save up that $$ for something good, I don't want to rush it and have to settle for cheaper parts.

I'm definitely gonna have some questions here along the way, I appreciate all your help so far dude and def looking forward to absorbing more and more info on here.