5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ANOTHER WEIGHT REDUCTION THREAD!! just a little different

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM

ANOTHER WEIGHT REDUCTION THREAD!! just a little different

Alright guys i know i'd probably get flamed for asking about weight reduction but i'm doing things a little different. Already started with the rear bumper support, heat shields, sun visors, floor mats, a/c (compressor, condenser, have to figure out how to snake out the lines running to the evap?), pulled the hood and trunk insulation and carpet in the trunk, coil overs and thats it for now.
My goal is to weigh around 2,800? Not sure if its possible. I want to keep the radio, seats etc. I'm thinking of hulling out the hood and trunk undersides, pinning the hood to get rid of the latch assembly (it flutters at highway speeds too scaring the hell out of me) and hulling out the insides of the doors front and rear except the front where the window motors attach... but the rear will get the window motor delete and be completely hulled except for where the panels attach.
Another question... can i remove the sunroof motor will it in the closed position without it loosening up and leaking? Maybe make an aluminium insert and just take it all out.
I'd be really happy to have it shy of 3,000lbs and look like it wasnt molested..... after all is said and done i'll take it somewhere to be weighed and give the results. Carbon fiber parts would be awesome and headers and y-pipe are soon to come but theres 2 ways to go faster and i'm taking the cheap route as i can't buy the goods until next month.
Any thoughts or tips are appreciated... its not my daily driver but i want to see how low i can go without it looking like a track car. can't let the 4th gen guys have all the fun
Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM

You have no rear bumper cover? Sounds like it already looks molested. Why not the rear seats? How often do you drive it? Just take out the alternator and charge battery for every drive lol. No radio. Who needs it? Get light rims.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by spnkr2000
Alright guys i know i'd probably get flamed for asking about weight reduction but i'm doing things a little different. Already started with the rear bumper support, heat shields, sun visors, floor mats, a/c (compressor, condenser, have to figure out how to snake out the lines running to the evap?), pulled the hood and trunk insulation and carpet in the trunk, coil overs and thats it for now.
My goal is to weigh around 2,800? Not sure if its possible. I want to keep the radio, seats etc. I'm thinking of hulling out the hood and trunk undersides, pinning the hood to get rid of the latch assembly (it flutters at highway speeds too scaring the hell out of me) and hulling out the insides of the doors front and rear except the front where the window motors attach... but the rear will get the window motor delete and be completely hulled except for where the panels attach.
Another question... can i remove the sunroof motor will it in the closed position without it loosening up and leaking? Maybe make an aluminium insert and just take it all out.
I'd be really happy to have it shy of 3,000lbs and look like it wasnt molested..... after all is said and done i'll take it somewhere to be weighed and give the results. Carbon fiber parts would be awesome and headers and y-pipe are soon to come but theres 2 ways to go faster and i'm taking the cheap route as i can't buy the goods until next month.
Any thoughts or tips are appreciated... its not my daily driver but i want to see how low i can go without it looking like a track car. can't let the 4th gen guys have all the fun
can't stop us either....

pick yourself up some g35 rays rims, that will reduce a whole bunch o weight.

pull your carpet out, rip all the crap off from under it, all the insulation, tar, spray on some aerosol sound deadener, replace the carpet. that costs you about 7 bucks a can, and you will lose about 10 pounds.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
^ Jeff™

RX7 rims, not sure which year, are very lightweight and usually very easy/cheap to find. A lot cheaper than G35 rays.

Not sure on your year but is your driver's seat power? You can switch out to an '02 body style Sentra manual seat...the tracks fit the same. Power seats are heavy.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Ahh i like the seat idea... ive got a tear in the leather so i was thinking of replacing them anyways. Hulled out the hood today and it was easy with a cutoff wheel... prob 15lbs there. was going to make hood pins but decided on buying a set so they look good. I DO have the bumper cover just not the support.

Still wondering if i can remove the sunroof motor without causing a leak? anybody done it? Anybody have pics of their car with some clean looking hood pins? I didnt see a way of adjusting the latch to hold the hood down better... think the hoop that locks into the latch is grooved pretty bad and so the front of my hood floats above 40mph. Don't want this thing braking andend up with the hood peeled back across my windhield! Scary **** i've seen it happen lol
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah Ray's 19" wheels, almost an oxymorn being so large in diameter, yet slightly lightweight. Even the Z33 18's are a big too big for someone trying to lower weight/

Go with lightweight 17's. Shoot for around 15 pounds per wheel or less. That is a wise investment that will pay itself off. And of course pays off in fuel economy, which according to all the stuff you removed, this really shouldn't be a DD, so that statement is irrelevant.

HotRod magazine did something like this back in the day. Gained a lot in the quarter mile, but it looked hideous. They've done this many times on autox courses and quarter mile.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/h...t/viewall.html

At some point, safety will be compromised as the street legality of it. With that said and at that particular point, adding extra power would have seemed like the better option, aside from going with a different platform altogether.