5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

lower radiator support fix price? Tristate

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Ive been trying to fix a brake problem in my 2003 maxima and of coarse something else breaks. Kinda feel like selling my car, or driving it off a cliff whatever comes first.

I noticed some groaning noises today and ive been hearing alot of front end clunks so i look under the car and i see a rusty crack in the front lower radiator support. Im 90% sure this thing is broken. I will verify tomorrow with a friend to watch for any movement. I see all the threads on buying an OEM one and some ppl just buy the lower part which is great but i want to know if i can just get it welded or fixed someway? An idea of price to fix?

Im in the bronx and im gonna go around jerome avenue to get an idea of some prices. Or is there anyone on the org that can fix this up for me? Ill get pics soon. If it is totally necessary to buy the oem support ~$185 shipped from courtesy. anybody in tristate can install for me?

i need this fixed like this week. Just out of curiosity what can i get for my 2003 majestic blue titanium edition 6spd manual with HLSD & meridian package with 200k only problem is low brake pedal.

Last edited by DjHackStyle; 06-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Clean it up well with a wire wheel and get all the paint off. I am talking about surgical clean. Then tig that *****. My buddies gs400 got in a nasty front end collision and I spot welded and tigged all his chassis panels back on. It will be a lot easier to work with what you got then order the pieces and air chisel them off. Air chiselling is the easy fun part. Cleaning up enough to weld is time consuming.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 PM

Yea I'm about to weld my crap tommorow before motor fall out. what should i spray to keep rust off welds? bed liner?

and I'd say $4200 on your max if its loaded n nice.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM

Ok guys its not so bad it is fixable in my opinion what do you guys think?

Name:  20130607_191301.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  108.4 KB

I was quoted from a shop on jerome avenue $240 to repair. The mechanic explained he will cut the support from end to end and replace it with new steel and he'll make the two holes for the cross member and weld the nuts into it properly. Sounds like a good job but pricey to me. Im gonna shop around.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle

I was quoted from a shop on jerome avenue $240 to repair. The mechanic explained he will cut the support from end to end and replace it with new steel and he'll make the two holes for the cross member and weld the nuts into it properly. Sounds like a good job but pricey to me. Im gonna shop around.
that doesn't sound bad for the price. Most people from what I have seen get quoted around ~$500 at the most to replace the entire radiator support.

Just curious. Does your car vibrate more than usual. I have a 99 as well with some rust in the same general area and I have been putting it off. I live in AZ where rust is really not a common issue in AZ cars but my car came from Utah -_-

Last edited by deloa84; 06-07-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by deloa84

that doesn't sound bad for the price. Most people from what I have seen get quoted around ~$500 at the most to replace the entire radiator support.

Just curious. Does your car vibrate more than usual. I have a 99 as well with some rust in the same general area and I have been putting it off. I live in AZ where rust is really not a common issue in AZ cars but my car came from Utah -_-
No vibrations but i can feel the cross member moving around on certain bumps or taking off or braking.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

Same thing i did fer $50
Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura

Same thing i did fer $50
Show me a picture plz! Mayb i can show it to a shop so they can get an idea of what to do.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned

Show me a picture plz! Mayb i can show it to a shop so they can get an idea of what to do.
Search for post by me
Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Search for post by me
I see it here
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-support.html

Id love to see a more detailed picture from under. Did u replace the entire section or weld this on to the existing support?

If a shop were to replace the section and recreate it i am concerned about the holes for the cross member i dont see how they could weld nuts inside of it without opening the section up.

even then im still concerned about the precise location of the holes they gotta be exactly drilled so it can bolt up properly, if they just reinforce the bottom and bolt it a 1/4" lower will that make a difference to the engine? im just so worried and overthinking everything.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Banned

I see it here
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-support.html

Id love to see a more detailed picture from under. Did u replace the entire section or weld this on to the existing support?

If a shop were to replace the section and recreate it i am concerned about the holes for the cross member i dont see how they could weld nuts inside of it without opening the section up.

even then im still concerned about the precise location of the holes they gotta be exactly drilled so it can bolt up properly, if they just reinforce the bottom and bolt it a 1/4" lower will that make a difference to the engine? im just so worried and overthinking everything.
I cut out all areas of rust and where the cross member mounts i used 24" 1/4" steel plates from home depot.i started with the bottom plate drilled the 2 holes and welded the nuts on then welded the plate inplace making sure the alignment was perfect.then i welded the back plate on then the top plate then i made some internal braces by cutting the 1/4" stock to fit inside the support and welded them in.then i coated the inside with rust proofing then capped the front and welded on the plate then drilled and tapped the 6mm hole for the hood latch the used 2 cans of expanding foam and filled the entire support.after that i coated the complete outside after wirewheeling it with rust proof and rubber undercoating.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM

I cut out all areas of rust and where the cross member mounts i used 24" 1/4" steel plates from home depot.i started with the bottom plate drilled the 2 holes and welded the nuts on then welded the plate inplace making sure the alignment was perfect.then i welded the back plate on then the top plate then i made some internal braces by cutting the 1/4" stock to fit inside the support and welded them in.then i coated the inside with rust proofing then capped the front and welded on the plate then drilled and tapped the 6mm hole for the hood latch the used 2 cans of expanding foam and filled the entire support.after that i coated the complete outside after wirewheeling it with rust proof and rubber undercoating.
Dude that sounds amazing, thank you.I have a better idea now when i go to a shop. they can cut out all the rusted areas, rust proof it then weld in 1/4 steel plates on all sides. Ill prolly buy the foam and bring it with me suggesting it. But hey if u can offer that service lemme know sounds well worth it.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM

update
Got my car fixed last week!! It looks great heres what ended up happening i didnt want them to replace the lower end support the proper way cuz it was too expensive so they cut the lower support from end to end and they cut the new lower support to fit perfect and welded it in. The location of the new support was spot on perfect. The radiator fits right in and it lines up on top perfect, the cross member bolts up straight and everything. They sprayed the support and welds with anti rust something and filled in the lower portion with 2 cans of expanding foam. So happy it looks great and feels great, out the door with 2 year gaurantee. Labor was ~$150.

Ill get a picture later on
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Nice and for a pretty fair price ... I would still put on a couple of coats of "por-15 paint" given you are in the good old road salting area