5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New guy, new car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New guy, new car.

Hi everyone, first post here! I just picked up this 01 20th anny edition Maxima the other day as my DD. I've been browsing around the site for a little bit, but I can't believe how good these cars look on the right stance! Anyway, I'm 25 & work at Gulfstream Aerospace full time and run a side business doing lot washes for some local dealerships throughout the week. Plans are to give it a full detail, tint, plasti dip the wheels, lower it, system, & intake for now.

Name:  null_zps97fc7e97.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  null_zps7ae40941.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  125.3 KB

My other ride. 2008 z71 Suburban, 22's, intake, & system.

Name:  null_zps425e17c7.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  null_zpsf6a3e37b.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  117.7 KB
Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Nice majestic blue.... Take care of that AE you have a rare one there my friend. Welcome to the family, I hope you benefit as much as I have.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM

welcome to the org dude, good maintenance will take you far.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Oh and btw... Lower it before you go plastidipping AE rims. I hope you find that you like the rims after you lower it because plastidip can look great or terrible
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe the wheels are trash. The previous owner never washed the vehicle at all. The whole car is basically in need of some TLC. The cleanest part on the car by far is the engine bay. It looks completely different than the rest of the car. I have Plasti dipped a few sets of wheels and emblems on a few other vehicles, and it turned out great. But I'm going to try a few different chemicals on the wheels to see if I can get them back to the factory color. As of right now they are completely stained from brake dust.

And RC, Why is your signature not showing up on your second post?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Full sig does not repeat on subsequent posts.

Welcome.

There has been much discussin about plasti dip of things and you will be happy only for a few weeks before the pdip begins to "chip." I had my 18" z rims painted by a shop for about $120 as I recall. Better looking and longer lasting. IMHO, if you do something auto related, your own vehicle stands as a billboard/advertisement of the work you do. If you do detail work, pdipping your wheels could bring question to your work. Just my opinion.

Very nice car, btw.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:18 PM

welcome to maxima.org. Nice color to have for an AE. If the paint is in need of some TLC, a good paint correction (claybar, then buff and polish) will do wonders(as you may already know).
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM

Welcome dude, nice car and quite a rare find w/ the AE Majestic Blue, personally I love that color almost as much as the Sterling Mist.
BTW you forgot to post the most important picture, the ENGINE BAY! Take a pic of your engine and post it up.

Car looks to be in decent shape (other than the dirt). Obviously needs a good cleaning/detailing, headlight restoration kit or just new lights would help greatly. Main thing is the engine bay though and making sure there's no bad rust in there.
As for PlastiDip on the wheels it looks cheap and ghetto IMO, plus it will peel and wont last at all. Either buy a set of nice wheels, clean up yours, or get a new OEM set. Anything will be 100x better than PlastiDip.

Tints definitely make the Max look 10x better, especially anything that's at least 30% all around or darker. Lowering is awesome and makes it look so much better indeed, but not with some cheap lowering springs for a hundred bucks, get Coilovers instead and it will be well worth it.

I'm not a fan of "systems" myself, already have BOSE with a **** ton of speakers so do you really need more? Some people like systems, to me it just adds extra weight and plus if you blast music you can't hear your car, and I love listening to my car driving. Then you wanna put an intake on it w/o any other mods just to be louder? People will laugh at you, just saying.

Now as for "22" wheels, system, and INTAKE on a Suburban"
Well, that just. . . INTAKE on a Suburban, WITH 22" wheels, YES! Man that's really just too much

You have quite a nice and rare AE, just don't ruin it with ghetto mods (big wheels, plastidip or powder coated wheels for example) and don't be a ricer by having just an intake and nothing else. But what do I know

I digress . . .
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Welcome dude, nice car and quite a rare find w/ the AE Majestic Blue, personally I love that color almost as much as the Sterling Mist.
BTW you forgot to post the most important picture, the ENGINE BAY! Take a pic of your engine and post it up.

Car looks to be in decent shape (other than the dirt). Obviously needs a good cleaning/detailing, headlight restoration kit or just new lights would help greatly. Main thing is the engine bay though and making sure there's no bad rust in there.
As for PlastiDip on the wheels it looks cheap and ghetto IMO, plus it will peel and wont last at all. Either buy a set of nice wheels, clean up yours, or get a new OEM set. Anything will be 100x better than PlastiDip.

Tints definitely make the Max look 10x better, especially anything that's at least 30% all around or darker. Lowering is awesome and makes it look so much better indeed, but not with some cheap lowering springs for a hundred bucks, get Coilovers instead and it will be well worth it.

I'm not a fan of "systems" myself, already have BOSE with a **** ton of speakers so do you really need more? Some people like systems, to me it just adds extra weight and plus if you blast music you can't hear your car, and I love listening to my car driving. Then you wanna put an intake on it w/o any other mods just to be louder? People will laugh at you, just saying.

Well, that just. . . INTAKE on a Suburban, WITH 22" wheels, YES! Man that's really just too much

You have quite a nice and rare AE, just don't ruin it with ghetto mods (big wheels, plastidip or powder coated wheels for example) and don't be a ricer by having just an intake and nothing else. But what do I know

I digress . . .
No highs no lows must be bose . . .

And I think the Suburban looks pretty good there.

To each his own.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 AM

lol dude just joined and already gets no love. Suburban looks awsome, as for plasti dip it does last if you do it right

Last edited by DOODOOCHIP; 06-27-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

What's wrong with an intake or exhaust on an SUV? I've got exhaust on my Pathy and am currently looking into an intake.

Either way, nice AE.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Banned

I digress . . .
WTF is TINTS is this some kind of go fast MOD?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Welcome bud! Nice find! Nice Suburban too! I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas from all the other members here. Make sure you read the stickies for some good maintenance and preventative advice such as motor mounts and iacv...
Again, welcome!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I digress . . .
Haters will hate.

You must not be familiar with the LSX world. Anyway, I just got the Burb actually the same day I got the Maxima about 2 weeks ago. I took everything off my truck which swapped directly over to the Burb I don't know about the Maximas, but I'll take a 9WHP gain with an intake only (dyno proven by my tuner). I'm not going to just slap a muffler on something either, so an exhaust will wait until I can find some long tubes. My old 2011 Sierra was also custom tuned, I'm going to get the Burb tuned as soon as I can. The Max is a DD that I'm just trying to clean up and restore.

I see nothing ghetto about plasti dip, if it's so ghetto then why are they plasti dipping whole cars that are $250,000+? If done correctly it can look nice. The best part is you have the ability to change your mind and take it off without any issues with the paint below since you don't have to sand or scuff any of the underlying paint. If you get a chip on your plasti dip, just touch up that area. No need to blend the area like you do with spray paint.

The truck I traded in on for the Burb a few weeks ago.

Name:  P1261894_zps75c2e4ba.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  P1261886_zps37f37d49.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  121.1 KB

On a side note, I did restore the headlights & fogs today. My plant is having a shut down all next week, so Ill be cleaning up the Max a lot. I kid you not, this car is in **** poor shape paint wise. Hopefully most of it can be corrected.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-28-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 PM

big pick up, that thing must have been fun to drive.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What's wrong with an intake or exhaust on an SUV? I've got exhaust on my Pathy and am currently looking into an intake.

Either way, nice AE.
Well, as many of us often say - to each his own! For sure.
As for me, I REALLY can't stand people who try to ball in big *** trucks. Why? It's dangerous, it's stupid, and I've seen it about a thousand times by now where people trying to go way too fast in a truck crash either into cars in front of them or just flipping the damn truck because they don't realize/understand that their huge truck can't stop as fast as a sedan, isn't gonna handle the same, has a **** ton of weight, etc...

Trucks are trucks, don't try to ball with it it's a truck. Which is what so many people do, trying to ball in a truck. Funny thing is that many of these trucks have so much torque that they actually destroy many of these ****ty 4 cylinders and walk them pretty bad. I laugh every time I see it. But overall it's just dangerous, you shouldn't be balling in a truck. It's not anything as bad as some of these tractor trailer drivers balling in their 18 wheelers, you really truly have to be a pure ******* to do that.
So in my book, if you ball in a truck = you're just simply an idiot and I always try to do my best to ***** and harass people trying to ball in trucks.
If you not only ball in a truck, but go ahead and put an intake/exhaust on it to make it louder, well you're simply what I refer to as a "mental midget".
Only one way you can put intake/exhaust on a truck w/o being considered a huge a-hole, is if you do it ONLY to listen to the sounds because you love it so much having an intake/exhaust sound but you DON'T ball in your truck like a moron.

Originally Posted by cjandura
WTF is TINTS is this some kind of go fast MOD?
Hm, um... Ah, is this supposed to be a joke? . . . LMAO! OK then...

Originally Posted by bshattuck87
Haters will hate.

You must not be familiar with the LSX world. Anyway, I just got the Burb actually the same day I got the Maxima about 2 weeks ago. I took everything off my truck which swapped directly over to the Burb I don't know about the Maximas, but I'll take a 9WHP gain with an intake only (dyno proven by my tuner). I'm not going to just slap a muffler on something either, so an exhaust will wait until I can find some long tubes. My old 2011 Sierra was also custom tuned, I'm going to get the Burb tuned as soon as I can. The Max is a DD that I'm just trying to clean up and restore.

I see nothing ghetto about plasti dip, if it's so ghetto then why are they plasti dipping whole cars that are $250,000+? If done correctly it can look nice. The best part is you have the ability to change your mind and take it off without any issues with the paint below since you don't have to sand or scuff any of the underlying paint. If you get a chip on your plasti dip, just touch up that area. No need to blend the area like you do with spray paint.

The truck I traded in on for the Burb a few weeks ago.
1. LSX world?
2. 9WHP gain huh? With just an intake eh? I WOULD LOVE to see your dyno w/ 9WHP gain just with an intake only, would really LOVE to see it as I'm sure many others do as well. Actually, I'm sure people would LOVE TO KNOW what intake you have that give a 9WHP gain?? Please tell us all about it!
3. Why would you tune an SUV/Truck? I simply don't get it. This is what I'm talking about, you're really trying to go fast in your TRUCK aren't you? Of course you are.
4. PlastiDip is ghetto (IMHO) if you do your whole car or your wheels. It's great if you black out your badges or something like that. But not to do wheels or whole car. Sure there's people doing it, people do many different things, doesn't make it good. Actually, I find that more often than not I end up doing something completely opposite of most people (because most people, unfortunately are not the brightest tool in the shed). Anyway that's just IMO so again, to each his own.

Wow, I mean, unreal. What can I say, the same people who claim stuff like THIS ^^^ are usually the ones who put intake/exhaust on their SUV, and regular car with NO OTHER MODS/NONE/ZERO/NON-EXISTENT and claim to have 250WHP. Then, they put big wheels on, and then when they lose to a riced out civic they never tell anyone about it.

And BTW, that pickup truck looked way worse than the Suburban, so at least that's a bit of an upgrade there. Man, I really just can't stand the people who try to ball in their F350's.

And finally, I'm not HATING I'm just expressing my opinions.
Despite the fact that it's immensely hard not to "hate" on someone who just claimed to gain 9WHP from an Intake.
But again, what do I know? I digress.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by bshattuck87
Haters will hate.

You must not be familiar with the LSX world. Anyway, I just got the Burb actually the same day I got the Maxima about 2 weeks ago. I took everything off my truck which swapped directly over to the Burb I don't know about the Maximas, but I'll take a 9WHP gain with an intake only (dyno proven by my tuner).
You can get 9whp on a Maxima with no tune and a coat hangar.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You can get 9whp on a Maxima with no tune and a coat hangar.
Preach it Manny this guy knows less then planecrash when it comes to nissans.and as far as tuning suv/trucks i believe Nmex has one and also there is a whole market out there one example Bullydog products.and yeah the word is TINT is a plural term like Shrimp you dont put a "s" on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM

. . . hm Shrimp? Almost 5pm, yup it's dinner time. I'm gonna call it shrimps with an "S" on the end when I order, just because of that post ^^^^