5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Brake Issue, stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM

5.5 Brake Issue, stumped.

I feel like such a noob for not being able to figure this out. My brake pedal is traveling all the way to the floor, weak braking power.

I swapped all 4 rotors and pads all around. Front calipers I compressed with a c clamp, rears I removed and twisted clockwise to compress with a wrench (don't have the socket/tool). Bled the system in the following order: rr, rl, fr, fl (furthest from MC to the closest). After experiencing the issue the first time, I bled the system again... scolding my wife thinking she may have let off the pedal before I told her to, sacking air back in. The issue persists.

I did some searching around and found a few 4th gen issues that were similar, and everyone says booster or MC. This issue did not persist before doing the work today, so I doubt either of them blew in the process of changing rotors and pads. Thought maybe I messed up a line, but they all look good and I can't find a noticeable leak. I've almost used an entire bottle of brake fluid in the process here as well, levels are fine.

What am I missing here? Never had an issue like this pop up after a such a simple procedure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by JWatZ; 07-20-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 PM

Did you start the car and pump the brake pedal and see if the brakes worked in the driveway or anything?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Yup, and for a drive... both times after bleeding. Brakes catch strong, then my foot sinks to the floor and braking power disappears. Have to pump to come to a stop. It's like the lines start at full pressure and the pressure goes away, like there's a leak. I've checked and I can't find one.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm wondering... would ABS have anything to do with this issue? Should I have disconnected the battery before bleeding? Going to give this a shot tomorrow, try the pattern from the FSM, and report back. Last thing I can think is to vise grip three lines at a time and test each caliper/line on its own. Open to other thoughts and suggestions if you have any. Thanks
Old 07-20-2013, 05:18 PM

I have only replaced one caliper and I never bled the car so I don't have much experience here. I have read lots of threads of people that bleed over and over and don't solve the problem. Hopefully someone else chimes in. Would be a coincidence if the MC starts leaking at the same time you change your brakes.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Too much of a coincidence, I still doubt it. If I had the issue before and it worsened after, okay, maybe the seals are shot.

Last edited by JWatZ; 07-20-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Theres some information and a great document for diagnosing a low pedal in the thread i started

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-suck-wtf.html
Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 PM

Just finished reading through. Thanks for sharing. Ever get that straight? Answer on the ABS? Just curious...
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM

For future reference, if anyone finds this in a search. Problem solved!

Today I pulled both ABS fuses and my negative terminal off the battery (better safe than sorry). Followed the same bleed procedure as my second attempt. The RR caliper shot nothing but air on the first three compressions (ABS pump tied to that line?). The others were good, straight fluid and no bubbles. I followed this pattern: RR, LF, LR, RF.

No more soft pedal! She's braking solid and hard now.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Nice you got the problem solved. I used this when I do brake jobs and I know I have to bleed the system. Works great.

Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Mityvac MV6835 Vacuum Brake Bleeding Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JWatZ
For future reference, if anyone finds this in a search. Problem solved!

Today I pulled both ABS fuses and my negative terminal off the battery (better safe than sorry). Followed the same bleed procedure as my second attempt. The RR caliper shot nothing but air on the first three compressions (ABS pump tied to that line?). The others were good, straight fluid and no bubbles. I followed this pattern: RR, LF, LR, RF.

No more soft pedal! She's braking solid and hard now.
I havent fixed my brake problem i juss deal with it. tell me which exact fuses u pulled and was the car off? Is the switch supposed to be half way position and not running?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM

Under the hood, right front fuse box (along fender behind driver side headlight). Two 40's for ABS (top left on the panel iirc). Pulled them and disconnected my battery (negative terminal).

Had the wife pump the brakes until the pedal was firm and wouldn't go anymore, loosened the bleed valve while her foot on the brake. It hits the floor, I tightened the valve, she pumped and pumped again... yada yada yada. Repeat until all the air bubbles are gone. Keep checking the reservoir and top off as needed. Used 3/4 of a bottle of DOT 3.

Hope that was thorough enough. Oh, I also bleed with a hose on the valve, going into a cup of DOT 3. OR in my case, a shot glass. Easy to see bubbles that way.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Ok but the ignition switch was in the off position? Or the on position? Isnt the pedal hard to press down with the car not running?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Off. And (here goes your minds in the gutter) as you pump it it does get harder. Once it's as stiff as it will get, release the valve. Retighten the valve, foot off the pedal, pump it up again.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Off. And (here goes your minds in the gutter) as you pump it it does get harder. Once it's as stiff as it will get, release the valve. Retighten the valve, foot off the pedal, pump it up again.
Ok thanks, ive been bleeding with the car running, i dont know if that made a difference.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM

Hey OP. Not being an a$$ but why did you bleed the brakes to begin with? Sounds like you just did pads and rotors so if you didn't expose the system to air
you don't need to bleed.

2damax - you definitely should have bled the brakes if you changed a caliper. I'm really shocked you had working brakes if you didn't.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Hey OP. Not being an a$$ but why did you bleed the brakes to begin with? Sounds like you just did pads and rotors so if you didn't expose the system to air
you don't need to bleed.

2damax - you definitely should have bled the brakes if you changed a caliper. I'm really shocked you had working brakes if you didn't.
Think I said in the first post, I removed the two rears. It was too much of a b**** it compress with it still attached. Investing in the tool if I ever need to do the rears again, wrenching it kind of sucked. You not being an a** by any means.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Think I said in the first post, I removed the two rears. It was too much of a b**** it compress with it still attached. Investing in the tool if I ever need to do the rears again, wrenching it kind of sucked. You not being an a** by any means.
Ah my bad, I missed that part. Glad you got it all fixed up.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM

glad you got it fixed, i've never had this issue with ABS but they do say you are supposed to disable it to bleed the system.

however, if you are bleeding with the key off, it really should not matter.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
I think I was suppose to but I just bled that one caliper and I got lucky I guess. I actually let it bleed to much and basically flushed the old fluid. I didn't clamp the line and had trouble putting it back on.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
glad you got it fixed, i've never had this issue with ABS but they do say you are supposed to disable it to bleed the system.

however, if you are bleeding with the key off, it really should not matter.
I was, with the key out of the ignition... twice. Guess it does matter or I just have crap for luck. Never had to disable and abs system to bleed brakes on any car until now. I'm sure just pulling the battery or fuses on there own would of been enough (one OR the other) but I wasn't chancing it.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Could also be possible that you took in a gulp of air in the master cylinder, I've had it get low before but appear ok, there's a really fine line where you can still have fluid in the master but it will pull air in, you really have to keep it at about 1/2 full at all times. i had that problem come up on the G35 when I did it's calipers. Had to bleed it over and over until i finally got all the air out. But they do say ABS can make a difference, so I guess it's something to be aware of, if nothing else
Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 PM

That right rear caliper is still blowing my mind. The first two times I bled, I had a little bubble here and there. After the ABS/battery pull, three full brake pedal compressions of nothing but air. Maybe it was all coincidence... who knows. Never seen anything like it before, but this is only my 3rd Nissan car, 2nd I did a full four corner swap.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM

Good to know, I would have done exactly what you did. Never knew the ABS would cause problems bleeding the brakes with the car off..