5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

mods???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mods???

Hi I just bought a black 2000 maxima se with 90k miles I would like some suggestions on mods I should do to first to it??
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Get Off My Lawn

First, congrats on your purchase and welcome!

You're going to get a LOT of opinions. Boils down to what you want most, then what your goals are? Finally, what is your budget? NEVER under estimate the power of ensuring good maintenance. That's where you need to start. Also exposes other weak areas.

IMHO, you need to drop the car first. Coilovers are the way to go to have it done right. Nothing wrong with springs, just that you're stuck with what the manufacturer thinks the car should ride like. Eibach drop is okay at roughly 1.5" and still allow good ground clearance. Though, to really get rid of the wheel gap, 2" is a decent drop that cleans things up. There is a page by www.shiftice.com that outlines the different drops for each spring on the Maxima so you have a visual reference.

A nice 18" rim at 30 offset will create a nice aggressive stance, fill the wheel well, broaden the wheel base for increased stability, and add your own style and touch to the car.

Good brakes is critical - Hawk HPS or EBC and others are good options for improved braking straight out of the box. Although I like slotted rotors, don't get caught up in the debate about what they do.....just focus on the pads with clean stock rotors and you'll see immediate improvement (after 500 mile break in period I should say).

After all that, you decide if you want to add further stability through sway bars. Or, if you want to increase horsepower via intake, spacers, etc.

With that said, a common maintenance item are bad/worn engine and torque mounts. New can be gotten off eBay. Or, you can get solid urethane bushing by ES and torque as well as tranny mounts from knight, here on the forums. These definitely help get power down and significantly improves shifts.

That should get you started and leave lots of room for others to comment.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 07-22-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
First, congrats on your purchase and welcome!

You're going to get a LOT of opinions. Boils down to what you want most, then what your goals are? Finally, what is your budget? NEVER under estimate the power of ensuring good maintenance. That's where you need to start. Also exposes other weak areas.

IMHO, you need to drop the car first. Coilovers are the way to go to have it done right. Nothing wrong with springs, just that you're stuck with what the manufacturer thinks the car should ride like. Eibach drop is okay at roughly 1.5" and still allow good ground clearance. Though, to really get rid of the wheel gap, 2" is a decent drop that cleans things up. There is a page by www.shiftice.com that outlines the different drops for each spring on the Maxima so you have a visual reference.

A nice 18" rim at 30 offset will create a nice aggressive stance, fill the wheel well, broaden the wheel base for increased stability, and add your own style and touch to the car.

Good brakes is critical - Hawk HPS or EBC and others are good options for improved braking straight out of the box. Although I like slotted rotors, don't get caught up in the debate about what they do.....just focus on the pads with clean stock rotors and you'll see immediate improvement (after 500 mile break in period I should say).

After all that, you decide if you want to add further stability through sway bars. Or, if you want to increase horsepower via intake, spacers, etc.

With that said, a common maintenance item are bad/worn engine and torque mounts. New can be gotten off eBay. Or, you can get solid urethane bushing by ES and torque as well as tranny mounts from knight, here on the forums. These definitely help get power down and significantly improves shifts.

That should get you started and leave lots of room for others to comment.
Yea that's the first thing I wanted to lower the car but whats a good way to increase hp
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM

My OPINION is get wheels, stereo, and front Stillen lip. Though I would have to agree that lowered Maximas look sweet.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

easy hp?

in order

headers -2-300
test pipe $35 or so
wideband-165
safc-100-350
4inch maf-$155
exhaust
udp

those that would say wtf, one of my local builds with the above list and stock exhaust with just a muffler is right on the bumper of a 280hp haltech built max.