5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vibration in steering wheel after getting rotors resurfaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 05:58 PM

Vibration in steering wheel after getting rotors resurfaced?

I just had my rotors cut for a second time under the TSB. After I got it back I noticed that there was a vibration similar to the tires needing to be balanced. I know that this vibe was not there before I brought it in. It's not like the wheel is shaking out of my hand but it is there enough to be a pain to me. I drive 180 miles a day and a good portion of that is highway so I picked up on the different feel right away.

My question is, could the tech have done anything in the resurfacing of the rotors that could cause this vibration?

I had an oil change and a rotation and balance done today and the vibration is still there.

Like I said, before I brought it in for the rotors there was no vibe. I don't think it is a bad tire for the same reason I just mentioned. What else can cause vibration in the steering wheel besides tires being out of balance(which I guess is not the prob)

Miscut rotors? 37K on the car
Old 01-15-2002, 06:07 PM

Re: Vibration in steering wheel after getting rotors resurfaced?

Originally posted by jnm2kse
I just had my rotors cut for a second time under the TSB. After I got it back I noticed that there was a vibration similar to the tires needing to be balanced. I know that this vibe was not there before I brought it in. It's not like the wheel is shaking out of my hand but it is there enough to be a pain to me. I drive 180 miles a day and a good portion of that is highway so I picked up on the different feel right away.

My question is, could the tech have done anything in the resurfacing of the rotors that could cause this vibration?

I had an oil change and a rotation and balance done today and the vibration is still there.

Like I said, before I brought it in for the rotors there was no vibe. I don't think it is a bad tire for the same reason I just mentioned. What else can cause vibration in the steering wheel besides tires being out of balance(which I guess is not the prob)

Miscut rotors? 37K on the car
I went to the dealer today,I asked about replacing my warped rotors,they told me they will replace them if they are under the 3/36 warranty period.I'm taking my car in tomarrow,take your car back and complain,squeeky wheel gets the grease,if you know what I'm sayin.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Do you still get the brake judder when you apply the brakes or are they nice and smooth? If your getting the vibration while just driving it's a wheel and tire issue. You mentioned you had a rotation and balance. Perhaps one of the tires now on the front has a flat spot or a belt broken? Try and rotate them again, bring the back's up to the front again and see if your vibration stops. If it does then bring one back at a time up to the front to see which wheel and tire is causing the problem. Then closely look at that wheel and tire and try to figure out whats causing it to vibrate your car.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Do you still get the brake judder when you apply the brakes or are they nice and smooth? If your getting the vibration while just driving it's a wheel and tire issue. You mentioned you had a rotation and balance. Perhaps one of the tires now on the front has a flat spot or a belt broken? Try and rotate them again, bring the back's up to the front again and see if your vibration stops. If it does then bring one back at a time up to the front to see which wheel and tire is causing the problem. Then closely look at that wheel and tire and try to figure out whats causing it to vibrate your car.

Good luck!
Hey,what kind of rear spoiler do you have?I'm looking for something like that.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:02 PM

Based on your description it sounds as if your tires may be cupped. Cupping comes from your tires not being rotated as often as needed making your tires have flat spots or areas where they are oblong thus your steering wheel picks up the tire vibration. This has happened to me by the way.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:28 AM

It could be the tires...I just thought it is very odd that before I brought the car in the steering felt fine...then when I get it back I get the vibe in the wheel. It is minor but driving the amount I do, I really notice it. I'm sure the dealer would be like.."what vibe?"

I've rotated and balanced the tires like 4 times in 37K...is that not enough? Or is it a coincidence that the tires are on their way out?
Old 01-17-2002, 04:10 AM

One more question- How many miles should I expect to get out of my Toyo's? They look pretty decent......I'd be suprised if the tires just decided to cup or get a flat spot right after they cut the rotors

The brakes do feel ok(well ok for Nissan brakes)so I guess the rotors can't be the problem......

NJ- I did have them rotated but the vibe feels the same as before they rotated them...

I guess it could be a bunch of things...you know that feeling when you know something is just off a little...just enough to annoy you? Well that's the feeling I have now...I know the ride was a smoother before I had the rotors cut and now it's.....different....

I'm just stumped on what he could have done while resurfacing the rotors to change the feel of the ride
Old 01-17-2002, 04:51 AM

One more question- How many miles should I expect to get out of my Toyo's? They look pretty decent......I'd be suprised if the tires just decided to cup or get a flat spot right after they cut the rotors

The brakes do feel ok(well ok for Nissan brakes)so I guess the rotors can't be the problem......

NJ- I did have them rotated but the vibe feels the same as before they rotated them...

I guess it could be a bunch of things...you know that feeling when you know something is just off a little...just enough to annoy you? Well that's the feeling I have now...I know the ride was a smoother before I had the rotors cut and now it's.....different....

I'm just stumped on what he could have done while resurfacing the rotors to change the feel of the ride
You've got me a little stumped here but based on the fact that your vibration feels the same as before they were rotated it still seems as if your tires are cupped. My mechanic also told me this vibration can also come from mis-alignment=(needing an alignment) or even needing your bearings repacked, but this I seriously doubt with your vechicle being relatively new. Good Luck
Old 01-17-2002, 04:54 AM

Turned out to be the brake pads

My front end was vibrating every time I applied the brakes. So I went to the dealer and explained everything that was going on that not even 1 month after I had my rotors resurfaced the last time it would that the front end was still vibrating so he replied that he was going to check out the rotors and see what was going on. He then called me and explained that the rotors weren’t warped it was just the brake pads had gotten over heated and that every time I had applied the brakes the pads would sort of stick to the rotors which would cause the vibration. So I had not heard that before so I told the tech that he can replace the brake pads but if this does not work that he would replace the rotors and he agreed. 2 months later and no vibration. Ill tell you what it is so nice to brake and not have your coffee spill in its cup holder or on your lap for that matter
Old 01-17-2002, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by annimax

You've got me a little stumped here but based on the fact that your vibration feels the same as before they were rotated it still seems as if your tires are cupped. My mechanic also told me this vibration can also come from mis-alignment=(needing an alignment) or even needing your bearings repacked, but this I seriously doubt with your vechicle being relatively new. Good Luck
The key part of this is that before I brought the car in to have the rotors worked on, there was no vibe. After I got the car back there was a vibe. I noticed it right away. Brought car in for an oil change 2 days ago and had them rotate and balance tires hoping that would clear it up. Thinking maybe the tech may have knocked off a wheel weight or something while working on the rotors. No dice still have a slight vibe....I don't think my tires could have cupped in one visit to the dealer?

Like I said, it is slight but noticeable to me especially driving the miles I do a day.

Thanks for the 411!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:25 PM

The key part of this is that before I brought the car in to have the rotors worked on, there was no vibe. After I got the car back there was a vibe. I noticed it right away. Brought car in for an oil change 2 days ago and had them rotate and balance tires hoping that would clear it up. Thinking maybe the tech may have knocked off a wheel weight or something while working on the rotors. No dice still have a slight vibe....I don't think my tires could have cupped in one visit to the dealer?

Like I said, it is slight but noticeable to me especially driving the miles I do a day.

Thanks for the 411!
Got Ya! On a Geo Prizm I owned I watched the tech as he balanced my wheels and caught him as he did not get the balance indicator to "0" on one wheel so I stopped him and he added the correct weight and all was fine . I hope your problem turns out to be something as simple as that
Old 01-22-2002, 05:32 PM

Well I went back to the dealer and complained...of course they took it for a spin..."seems normal"

Anyways...I found out that the resurfaced the rotors by taking them off of the car...I thought the TSB called for them to be cut while they are ON the car.....

Its been a week and a few days and the vibe is still there...I'd be suprised if it is the tires only because there was no vibe before they cut the rotors and the vibe is still there after a rotate and balance.....this is driving me nuts with my commute....any other ideas? What could that guy have done to my wheels to have this vibe?