5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is my 2003 Nissan Maxima engine ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM

Is my 2003 Nissan Maxima engine ruined?

My engine overheated pretty badly on the freeway about two weeks ago. Steam was coming from the engine and the engine just shut itself down while I was driving.

I had it towed to a garage, they said the radiator was cracked and coolant had sprayed out all over the place. They advised to replace the radiator and thermostat.

I replaced both the radiator and thermostat myself, and re-filled the coolant. As I was doing this, I noticed there was oil all over the driver's side of the engine. I checked my oil level with the dipstick, and it was absolutely empty! My engine burns oil pretty badly, and I hadn't had an oil change in a while either (stupid!).

I refilled the engine with 4.5 quarts of oil and started the engine to bleed the cooling system to get rid of air pockets. I left the engine idling for a few minutes, I didn't see any leaks, so I'm assuming the cooling system is working. After the engine warmed up, the temperature indicator on the dashboard stayed at 50%-ish, so that looked good.

However, I did hear a slight metallic 'rattle' coming from the engine as the engine was running. A mechanic friend of mine said it sounded like a spark plug problem?

After a few minutes of idling I turned on the A/C in the car and right after I did that, the idling engine started fluctuating pretty wildly, until it suddenly dropped to 0rpm and stopped. I just turned it off and gave it a rest.

The next day I tried to start the car again, but now it's not cranking. I just turn the key and I hear a slight 'click' but that's it. The indicator lights on the dashboard don't reveal anything useful.

I do know that last time I had my battery checked (about 6 months ago) it was pretty weak. But then again, it started just fine yesterday.

So to sum it up:
  • Car overheated on freeway, crack in radiator, coolant sprayed all over the engine
  • Replaced radiator and thermostat, refilled coolant
  • Noticed that there was no oil on the dipstick, completely empty. Refilled engine with oil
  • Started engine, cooling system seems fine, no leaks, steady temperature
  • Metallic rattle coming from engine, rpm started fluctuating after turning on A/C and the engine stopped
  • Now the engine is not cranking, just a click when I turn the key and nothing happens

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM

The starting problem may not be related to the overheating, just a case of unfortunate timing.

Since you say that you have a weak battery, start by checking the battery voltage. Of course you need a voltmeter for this, I hope you have one. If not, but one if you intend to work on cars. It is more important to you than a screwdriver. Get one that costs at least $20 - $25. Those $5 radio shack specials are for when you intend to throw it away when you are done with the job.

When the car is not running, the battery voltage should be 12.25 to 12.5 volts. If not, the battery is discharged. The lower the voltage reading, the more it is discharged. When the engine is running, the voltage should read around 14 volts, give or take a couple of tenths.

If the battery is good, you have a starter system problem. The click you hear - is it from under the hood or under the dash. Under the dash is normal, you just don't hear it because the sound of the engine cranking drowns it out.

Read this thread. I'm too lazy to duplicate it.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rt-thread.html
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 AM

There is a good chance that you have blown a headgasket and maybe hydrolocked the engine.

There is also a good chance you have seized up the engine.

Couple of easy things you can do:

Take out the spark plugs and try turning the engine over.

Put a socket on the crank pulley and see if you can manually turn the engine over.

Oil everywhere to me says a blown head.

Also, why did it overheat to begin with?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM

When was the last time you check your engine/ your oil?