5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how to rebuild a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM

how to rebuild a manual transmission

Alright fellas here's the deal, i'm trying to find a way how to rebuild my manual transmission but i dont have a guide...i need something that would tell me step by step on how to do this. If anyone could give this brotha a hand that would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Buy used, cheaper/easier/more efficient use of time & funds.

www.car-part.com.

What's the issue that you want to rebuild it? Synchros tend to go out, and there's always clutch/flywheel issues that are fairly easily dealt with.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also had a question about the rebuilt. I have the transmission out of the car and have the case open but I am stuck at the bolt in the picture below. It is a flathead screw that is extremely stubborn and not budging. I tried a impact screw driver with no results. As you can see, I have started messing up the slot. Any ideas on how to remove it? Thanks for your help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bertm2a7j1hht0z/photo.JPG
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 PM

if theres nothing immediately delicate around the area, you could try heating the bolt up a bit i would imagine. maybe drill it out?

weird that a impact wouldnt get it out, i havent rebuilt a trans yet that had a bolt that stubborn
Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 PM
SLOW

lol that's not a bolt bro, it's a big pin (or shaft, whatever you want to call it). it doesn't have any threads on it so you are wasting your time trying to turn it. stupid design, but it is what it is.

you knock the little vertical roll pin out which goes vertically through that shaft, and then use an implement of some sort to push the shaft out by starting in hole that you just knocked the little roll pin out of. something like a wire clothes hangar bent straight would be a good mix of stiffness and flexibility to allow you to get the shaft started.

you REALLY shouldn't be doing this job without an FSM. you are going to lose something, break something, bend something, or ruin something. an interlock plunger, this pin which you've been struggling with, half moon shims, synchro keys, something. unless you're really experienced or really lucky, you are going to end up having to take this trans back out of your car and take it apart again to replace some part you broke or misplaced or forgot to install, etc.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:31 AM

should get a sentra se-r 6 speed gearbox, from what I read it has a slightly shorter fd
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What Nealoc said-you ABSOLUTELY need to have the manual transmission section of the FSM for reference if you plan on continuing. The exploded view diagrams saved my bacon when I swapped a Maxima bellhousing on a Sentra SpecV. I'd suggest you disassemble/assemble the tranny on a flat and clear work area or I can almost guarantee you'll lose something. Another word of advice-resist the tempation to slide the gears back and forth on the shaft. The shift forks limit the travel when the trans is assembled and when they're not present it's possible to slip the gears further out and there are little shift inserts under the gears that can easily fall out. I found one on the floor when I had re-installed the shafts and spent the next day figuring out where/how it fit. Be patient and label everything-suggest you place the parts in plastic bags as you disassemble (old milk bags, baggie sandwich bags etc). Good luck