5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Maxima 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan Maxima 2000

I bought a Nissan Maxima 2000 se manual transmission 265,000 kms and it was my first manual car, so the guy taught me how to drive it and I bought it, for cheap.

However, ever since having it, I've had nothing but problems with it. There was an oil leak coming from the front of the car. I took it to a mechanic and he replaced the front axle itself and it still was leaking..he said the leak was also coming from the "Transmission Input seal" and he recommended me to find someone who works transmissions and so I called around and everyone was saying expensive prices...so I finally I found a reputable mechanic and he said they we'rent sure if it was coming from the engine seal or transmission seal, and so he put dye into the engine and told me to drive it for a week..and before a week, the car started having problems accelerating while the rpm was where it was supposed to be...so I was mad and decided to find another mechanic..from all the people I talked to over the phone they said the clutch was also slipping...

So now I got to worry about too...

Anyhow I finally found a affordable mechanic who had good ratings online..and just when I was getting there the problem was getting worse.. the car would make grinding and scraping noise..and it would slow down in first and second gear if I let go of the acceleration and make more grinding and scraping noise from the front of the car..so when I took it this mechanic he mentioned he would replace all the seals and clutch aswell. When he dissembled the transmission (which they couldn't dissemble the first time) and when they did finally, the mechanic said, the gears we're broken inside the transmission..and that I would need a new transmission...the mechanic offered me to replace the transmission for free even after putting it back together, if I found a transmission. So I searched all around couldn't find one till I found a transmission at a self-service recycled auto parts place, the problem with this is, the car was okay condition, so if I got a freelance mechanic to take it out (Which would cost me $180) then took it to the mechanic shop and got it replaced..what if the transmission that I found was also bad? then I'd be paying MORE labour hours to rechange it to my old transmission..and then I'd be back to square one...

I HATE the fact that I might need to sell this car cause I bought it for $2300 and already spent $2000 in repair costs.. (that price includes fixing rear brake rotors and pads..muffler replace..and other minor things)

What do I do now...I tried searching around for "Transmission gear problems" for my car but no such thing...could it really be a transmission gear problem or...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM

sorry to hear that
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Your mistake was buying a very used car and not knowing what to look for or what to expect.

Some of the work you mention is normal maintenance, like the brakes and muffler, so you should not complain about that. For a car with 265000 KM, the clutch is also normal maintenance, it is like the brakes in that it uses friction materials that wear out. Even the axles wear out, they do not last forever. I bet that axle was the third one for the car.

Unfortunately the grinding noises in 1st and 2nd gears make me think the transmission is bad. I don't know if the junkyard will give you any kind of guarantee or not. But when you buy from a junkyard, you are working on luck. Have you gotten any estimates on having the transmission re-built? It will no doubt be more than a junkyard transmission, but you would have more peace of mind and a guarantee.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes I know i've made that mistake. I've learnt so much more now, the learning experience I enjoyed, now the cost is becoming too much. Would it really be a good idea to rebuild a 265000 km transmission? Or buy a transmission from the junk yard that would cost me $180 to take out, and $165 to buy, then a free replacement with my mechanic..but then chance of being a failure and getting rid of the car altogether..or rebuild this transmission for who knows, another grand, and who knows how long that lasts...

Decisions...decisions