5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED Question: I can dim my side markers and tail lights :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM

LED Question: I can dim my side markers and tail lights :(

Hey guys

Just want to say before I post is that I did try and find solutions for my problems by searching up but I came up nothing. I even went as far as asking a senior org member for advice so I am desperate and in need of assistance so if my situation gets resolved I'm sure some person with the same problem might find their solution here.

Two weeks ago I switched out my vanity, dome, license, map, side doors, glove box, cigarette, tail lights, side markers, and front signal lights to leds, the front signal ones being switch backs and it was fine, apart from the clock, stereo, and climate control lcd flickering when I use the dimmer switch and hyperflash but it wasn't until yesterday that caught my attention.

I bought a 191 and 74 to replace the shifter light and climate control buttons light (on my 2000 SE MFD 12/99 bought in Canada) the light is behind the recirculation button and lights up the auto, econ, etc and also 5k dome and trunk leds. I replaced all 4 lights from VLEDS and when I plugged the shifter light I got power sent to the LED, but no power was going through the 74 for the climate control. Throughout this the dome and trunk worked fine I went back and asked VLEDS to retest them as I did it in their parking lot and when I came back there was no light being sent to the glove box, cigarette, shifter and climate. After trying to trouble shoot everything and reinstalling I realized a few things things:

1, my auto function on the left steering column was not working
2, the door control lights, gauge cluster around the tach and speedo, shifter, climate control, and front parking light was not working
3, I can dim the license plate, tail light, side markers (the side markers are rewired to the signals) glove box and cigarrette light but it was to be turned to the lowest setting to achieve the brightest light but the clock, stereo, and climate control lcd works the same with the flickering still.

I tried resetting the fuses in the cabin and in the hood, replacing the leds with the old bulbs, taking out the battery, checking for loose wiring, and also taking this grey square fuse underneath the dash that has 12v written on it and reinstalling but no luck.

Please help me. I will be more than happy to clarify anything that seems convoluded
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM

sounds like the interior illumination fuse may be blown

Also, this may sound dumb but bear with me: LEDs only flow current one direction...so have you tried turning the LED around 180* and reinstlaling it (for the ones that don't light up at all)?

Ashtray light is not plug and play...at least in the 4th gen. Is it plug and play for you?

and you should NOT be able to dim the tails, side markers, and licence plate lights...are you SURE that the dimmer switch now controls those? They get brighter and darker when you adjust the dimmer switch?

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 09-27-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Sorry for the delay dude. Amerikaner is probably correct regarding your one ashtray bulb not working. LED's are directional and won't be plug and play everywhere because of that.
This is assuming you tried turning the 'bulb' 180* as suggested.

regarding your tailight's dimming, etc, there is something wacky going on. First, you have obviously blown a fuse somewhere, you need to locate that. Fastest most accurate way is with a test light. Clamp to ground, then probe both sides of each fuse while the key is in the ACC position.

Any fuse that has power on one side but not the other will be a blown fuse. This saves pulling for inspection, and also, some fuses can be blown but appear fine, so this is more accurate for testing also.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM

Once you fix your fuses and get stuff working again, you will probably have that weird issue still, not sure if you mentioned it here, but you were saying your TAIL LIGHTS and LICENCE LIGHT will DIM when you use the DIMMER SWITCH??????

That is just messed up dude lol. So, if that is what's happening, you need to systematically remove the LED's you've swapped and replace them with stock incandescent bulbs until this issue is fixed. I would start with the tailights themselves because they are most likely the issue.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys

It was the tail light fuse located in the hood fuse compartment blown. Yes I was able to dim the side markers, tail lights, and aforementioned using the dimmer switch, weird eh? Now all my interior lights work EXCEPT for the trunk light. Checked the fuses they seem fine and the trunk light sensor located on the car beside the latch seem to be fine, connections seem fine aswell. I will research for a solution then post if necessary.

Thanks again for the help

Jericho