5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N panel filter......

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

K&N panel filter......

i just recently installed a drop in K&N air filter....i was just wondering, because its getting around the time to get my oil changed again, but should the dealer get *****y about the filter and try to tell me my warranty is void or something?....maybe a dumb question but i was just wondering. i have the same question about an OBX Bomb 5 muffler, if i get one of these installed, will the dealer say anything about it or what? just looking for some advice.
thanks
Old 01-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: K&N panel filter......

Originally posted by 2k1maxgle
i just recently installed a drop in K&N air filter....i was just wondering, because its getting around the time to get my oil changed again, but should the dealer get *****y about the filter and try to tell me my warranty is void or something?....maybe a dumb question but i was just wondering. i have the same question about an OBX Bomb 5 muffler, if i get one of these installed, will the dealer say anything about it or what? just looking for some advice.
thanks
Panel filter is fine. the muffler
Old 01-16-2002, 06:01 PM

My dealership (GLENDALE ) is a b!tch about these things...I just keep my stock filter and replace the K&N with the stock for servicing.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris
My dealership (GLENDALE ) is a b!tch about these things...I just keep my stock filter and replace the K&N with the stock for servicing.
so what kinda **** did they put you through because of the filter?
Old 01-16-2002, 06:11 PM

what exactly voids or duznt void your warranty? I heard that stillen parts DONT void your warranty.. is this true or is it just a wives tale?
Old 01-16-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: .......

so what kinda **** did they put you through because of the filter?
If you know Glendale Nissan you'd understand. They don't fix anything you ask them to and they act like *******s 99% of the time...after reading on the K&N box that dealerships can now say it voids your warranty I just didn't wanna take a chance..

I think the general rule is unless they can prove that the mod caused the problem they can't void warranty...but then I don't understand why K&N says they can void warranty..
Old 01-16-2002, 06:32 PM

thats screwed up......

If you know Glendale Nissan you'd understand. They don't fix anything you ask them to and they act like *******s 99% of the time...after reading on the K&N box that dealerships can now say it voids your warranty I just didn't wanna take a chance..

I think the general rule is unless they can prove that the mod caused the problem they can't void warranty...but then I don't understand why K&N says they can void warranty..
that really sucks...i still have my stock filter, just to be safe ill put it back b4 i get my car serviced...i saved it for that reason although i didnt think i would have to...anyway someone should do somethin about that, thats screwed up.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:37 PM

Re: thats screwed up......

that really sucks...i still have my stock filter, just to be safe ill put it back b4 i get my car serviced...i saved it for that reason although i didnt think i would have to...anyway someone should do somethin about that, thats screwed up.
Yep you should just tell your dealership that you're thinking of installing a K&N and ask if that would cause any problems tho in case they don't care
Old 01-16-2002, 06:45 PM

ill do that

Yep you should just tell your dealership that you're thinking of installing a K&N and ask if that would cause any problems tho in case they don't care
ill probably do that.....im probably going friday....ill put my stock back for then, and tell them that.....just to see what they say about it.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: K&N panel filter......

thanks
another reason to change your babies oil yourself,,,just keep a log with receipts of the oil and filter purchase and that way you will have your records
Old 01-16-2002, 10:07 PM

The warrenty is only voided if air filters are provided for under the warrenty
Old 01-17-2002, 06:18 AM

I thought the K&N box says that its illegal (some law passed in the 80s) for a dealer to void your warranty when you use the replacement filter...
Old 01-17-2002, 06:25 AM

the solution is simple. Don't take the car to the dealer for service. Christ, these are new cars, what do they need? Who can't change oil, and rotate tires once in a while. Air filters are a snap as is fluid level checks. I go to a trans. shop for fluid changes and other than that, probably nothing untill the brake pads are worn out.
Save the money and learn your car.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by mike-777
the solution is simple. Don't take the car to the dealer for service. Christ, these are new cars, what do they need? Who can't change oil, and rotate tires once in a while. Air filters are a snap as is fluid level checks. I go to a trans. shop for fluid changes and other than that, probably nothing untill the brake pads are worn out.
Save the money and learn your car.
thats not always the case... my car has been in the shop 3 or 4 times already for **** that isnt my fault, just stuff that should have been corrected before they delivered it to me... nissan service is the worst ive ever dealt with too. the deal with warranties is that unless the dealer can prove that the mod you put on the car is the cause of the problem, then the warranty will NOT be void. you can have a supercharger, and as long as they CANNOT PROVE that it blew the tranny or something, they have to fix it.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by magnum

thats not always the case... my car has been in the shop 3 or 4 times already for **** that isnt my fault, just stuff that should have been corrected before they delivered it to me... nissan service is the worst ive ever dealt with too. the deal with warranties is that unless the dealer can prove that the mod you put on the car is the cause of the problem, then the warranty will NOT be void. you can have a supercharger, and as long as they CANNOT PROVE that it blew the tranny or something, they have to fix it.
Before installing a K&N filter, I called my dealer and also Nissan. The answer is clear. It CANNOT void your warranty, as long as it is proprely installed (see inside the K&N box for the details).

Same thing for oil changes, as long as you keep all your receipts and that you can prove that you did it as prescribed by Nissan.

Yop!
Old 01-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The warranty can only be refused if the aftermarket part CAUSED the problem in question.

THIS IS FEDERAL LAW, do not let the dealer tell you otherwise.

If they try, have them point out exactly hwere it says that in your warranty.