5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is this weird or what!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:59 AM

Is this weird or what!?

Since purchasing my car in the Spring of 2001, I have experienced rough starting on a couple of occassions (like others on this board). I think I have finally determined what is causing it! It appears that when there is pressure on the transmission (like when parking the car on an incline without using the parking brake), the car starts and idles rough until the transmission is engaged. I use my parking brake all the time, however, when the car is jacked up (to rotate tires, etc.), this happens. After having winter tires mounted, I went to pull the car out of the service bay and it started rough. After rotating my tires in my garage, it did the same thing. For kicks, I jacked up the rear of the car and lowered it and was able to reproduce it again! Has anyone else ever experienced this - it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen on any car that I have owned! Sorry for the long post but I know others have had rough-starts - thought this might help? All thoughts are appreciated!
Old 01-17-2002, 11:33 AM

Would that mean its some of fuel pump problem???? Like say for instance it takes a few cranks of the starter to build up fuel pressure and if the car isn't level its harder to start because of this?
Old 01-17-2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by djmaxski
Would that mean its some of fuel pump problem???? Like say for instance it takes a few cranks of the starter to build up fuel pressure and if the car isn't level its harder to start because of this?
Same happened to me. So I tried what others have kindly suggest.... Put the key in the ignition, wait a few seconds, then start the engine. Since then... well never happened again...
Old 01-17-2002, 12:54 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

alot of previous honda owners like I was

(4 cyl) have more trouble... Hondas fire immediately... you dont even really have to crank. You can just tap the starter, whereas you have to crank the max for a bit. And if you miss a crank by backing off too quickly, it will take a bit to start it. Stopping on the ON position for a sec, then actually hold the starter for a bit is hard to get used to.. but all my problems are gone with that.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:55 PM

Re: Is this weird or what!?

Originally posted by chris2001gle
Since purchasing my car in the Spring of 2001, I have experienced rough starting on a couple of occassions (like others on this board). I think I have finally determined what is causing it! It appears that when there is pressure on the transmission (like when parking the car on an incline without using the parking brake), the car starts and idles rough until the transmission is engaged. I use my parking brake all the time, however, when the car is jacked up (to rotate tires, etc.), this happens. After having winter tires mounted, I went to pull the car out of the service bay and it started rough. After rotating my tires in my garage, it did the same thing. For kicks, I jacked up the rear of the car and lowered it and was able to reproduce it again! Has anyone else ever experienced this - it is the weirdest thing I have ever seen on any car that I have owned! Sorry for the long post but I know others have had rough-starts - thought this might help? All thoughts are appreciated!
Automatic or manual?
Old 01-17-2002, 01:00 PM
Mauja He Mauja

happens to me as well. but only if i kill the ignition, and start within 20 seconds???

it also sometimes happens on other occations,,,for those i use KYJELLY
Old 01-17-2002, 01:22 PM

This isn't a starting problem though - the car starts just fine. I experience a very rough until the pressure that was placed on the transmission is relieved. When I mentioned the problem occurs after the car was lifted, I meant that when the rear of the car is lifted off of the ground, the parking brake no longer prevents the front wheels from rolling forward slightly - thus placing pressure on the transmission. This is what occurred after rotating the tires in my garage - the floor of the garage is of course level, but after raising the rear of the car, the weight of the car surges forward on the front wheels (like parking on an incline). I hope this better describes what I am experiencing. Again, I have been able to reproduce it. The car is a 2001 GLE - automatic transmission.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:26 PM

Couple of corrections to the above post - I experience a rough idle. When starting the car - it is sitting level on the garage floor (it has previously been lifted and lowered). The lifting and lowering causes the bind or pressure on the transmission. Sometimes it is hard to accurately describe these problems on here!