5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: What Springs would you choose and why?
H&R 1.4" - 1.3"
36.36%
Eibach 1.4" - 1.6"
39.39%
Sprint Springs 2.0"
9.09%
MaxSpeed ?
15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

What Springs would you choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 06:55 PM
RussMaxManiac

What Springs would you choose and why?

What springs would you get and why? I am trying to decide on H&R, Sprint, Eibach, MaxSpeed....dunno!

I also trying to get rid of the wheel well gap. And don't want to scrape the ground either. I plan on putting on a body kit!

I am so lost...reading hte archives I found Progressive as well. That is low......

I need some good pics guys, H&R, Eibach, Sprint, Maxspeed and Progressive to see how low it really is from a distance...thanks.

Old 01-16-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
What springs would you get and why? I am trying to decide on H&R, Sprint, Eibach, MaxSpeed....dunno!
Well I would add the progress springs in there, b/c I really like them. Very nice price and drop. But hey what do I know ...

Of the ones listed ... eibach's. Sprint's 2" drop in the rear would look wierd.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:00 PM
RussMaxManiac

After looking at some pics I could find...those Progressive sure do make a nice drop. But since you said the stereo really made it drop...I am worried about my 200lb box going into the back eventually. And worried about a bodykit. I would love to get those....

Old 01-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sprint = Intrax = Suck
Old 01-16-2002, 09:04 PM

Eibach for sport, H&R for ride
Old 01-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maxspeed for the ride and drop

Secondly MAXspeed since you have a MAXima.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:20 PM

I just installed H&R's and KYB AGX's today. The great thing about this combo is that if I want a nice smooth ride I can adjust my shocks{close to a factory ride but handles way better!}, If I want a stiff ride I can again, adjust my shocks. You really can't go wrong with this setup. The KYB's are not for sale yet to the public though{they should be real soon}.

The drop is pretty good too, the car is not slammed but it gives the car a nice clean look like a BMW. I will take a few pics for you tomarrow Russ, but just so you know the springs have no completly settled yet.

I have had sprin/Tociko and eibach/tociko setups too. The eibachs made the front of the car higher then the rear and the sprints made the rear higher then the front. The ride with both of these setups was really harsh and the handaling was not as good as my H&R AGX setup.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by emax95
I just installed H&R's and KYB AGX's today. The great thing about this combo is that if I want a nice smooth ride I can adjust my shocks{close to a factory ride but handles way better!}, If I want a stiff ride I can again, adjust my shocks. You really can't go wrong with this setup. The KYB's are not for sale yet to the public though{they should be real soon}.
Now how much they estimating the KYB AGX gonna sell for? I heard they can be adjusted really easily, the front from the top inside the hood, and the rears by sticking your hands in the well towards the back of the strut. Just dont know how to get your fingers into the spring gap.

Secondly, why is it they only make them for the 4th gen? I thought the 4th gen struts fit fine on the 5th gen? Just going by how the GC Coilovers work on both setups.

Dixit
Old 01-16-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Now how much they estimating the KYB AGX gonna sell for? I heard they can be adjusted really easily, the front from the top inside the hood, and the rears by sticking your hands in the well towards the back of the strut. Just dont know how to get your fingers into the spring gap.

Secondly, why is it they only make them for the 4th gen? I thought the 4th gen struts fit fine on the 5th gen? Just going by how the GC Coilovers work on both setups.

Dixit
The rears are very easaly adjusted, the **** is below the springs on the shock it's self. There are several different things with 5th gen shocks and springs. Go to www.cattman.com , I believe he has the prices allready listed there. They are of coarse a bit more for the 5th gen becuase some custom work is involved. The shocks I got from him looked like they were right out of the factory.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:52 PM

The rears are very easaly adjusted, the **** is below the springs on the shock it's self. There are several different things with 5th gen shocks and springs. Go to www.cattman.com , I believe he has the prices allready listed there. They are of coarse a bit more for the 5th gen becuase some custom work is involved. The shocks I got from him looked like they were right out of the factory.
Alright got you there, but still aint understanding why the KYB AGX has to be modified and yet the GC Coilovers dont.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Alright got you there, but still aint understanding why the KYB AGX has to be modified and yet the GC Coilovers dont.
Cattman's coilovers are differnt for 4th and 5th gen's I thought? I know for one the brake lines connect differntly on the front shocks. 4th gen's use a 8mm bolt while 5th gens uses just a ruber circle that goes into a circle whole. Theres other little differences too.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:47 PM

Cattman's coilovers are differnt for 4th and 5th gen's I thought? I know for one the brake lines connect differntly on the front shocks. 4th gen's use a 8mm bolt while 5th gens uses just a ruber circle that goes into a circle whole. Theres other little differences too.
You are getting confused, I said GC Coilovers, not Cattman, GROUND CONTROL Coilvers. Just like what Keving has, I mean they were for a 4th gen, yet they seem to fit a 5th gen.

That is why I thought the struts did change from 4th to 5th gen

Dixit
Old 01-17-2002, 12:15 AM
PhatGuy

H&R:

Quality
Perfect balance between comfort/ride and performance/drop.

I have them and love them!

Old 01-17-2002, 02:38 PM
RussMaxManiac

Hope to see pics soon! Thanks emax!

The drop is pretty good too, the car is not slammed but it gives the car a nice clean look like a BMW. I will take a few pics for you tomarrow Russ, but just so you know the springs have no completly settled yet.

I have had sprin/Tociko and eibach/tociko setups too. The eibachs made the front of the car higher then the rear and the sprints made the rear higher then the front. The ride with both of these setups was really harsh and the handaling was not as good as my H&R AGX setup.

Old 01-17-2002, 03:24 PM

After looking at some pics I could find...those Progressive sure do make a nice drop. But since you said the stereo really made it drop...I am worried about my 200lb box going into the back eventually. And worried about a bodykit. I would love to get those....

I took a measurement of the rear wheel gap (from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well) and noticed that w/o the stereo (these results were taken from before and after measurements of the spring install) and noticed that the rear dropped approx 1/2" after I put the stereo back in. At first when I got my car back and measured (with no stereo in there) I was pi$$ed thinking they didn't drop the rear much at all. After I realized that there was no stereo and what was going on, I remeasure and found them to be pretty accurate with their drop calculations, both front and rear.

I would not worry about a body kit with these springs. Reason being I honestly would like the car to be lower. I like the drop that's on there, but I would like the car to sit about 1" lower than it is right now. Even with a body kit, I don't see any problems scraping with the drop I have now. I would be more concerned if it was lowered to where I want, but ...

And look at Irvine78 ... he's got eibachs and cut off some of the coils to get it lower. When I first saw his car with that lip and how low it was, I was mad. I was like how the hell did eibach's drop that car lower than mine?!?! Well I don't think he's had any problems dragging the ground and the side profile pic of this car still shows plenty of room.

My best friend has a supra that the front lip is only 2" off the ground. Hell he can't pull his car in anywhere to get worked on, b/c they can't get it on a lift ... but he has NEVER hit that lip or scraped it once.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:35 PM

Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

I also trying to get rid of the wheel well gap. And don't want to scrape the ground either. I plan on putting on a body kit!

I am so lost...reading hte archives I found Progressive as well. That is low......

I need some good pics guys, H&R, Eibach, Sprint, Maxspeed and Progressive to see how low it really is from a distance...thanks.
I didn't think Sprint made springs for the 5th gen. I thought it was, H&R, Eibach, MaxSpeed, Progress, and then the GC Coliovers (which are for the 4th gen right, but with a little work fit the 5th gen?)
Old 01-17-2002, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

I didn't think Sprint made springs for the 5th gen. I thought it was, H&R, Eibach, MaxSpeed, Progress, and then the GC Coliovers (which are for the 4th gen right, but with a little work fit the 5th gen?)

I've seen them for sale on several websites. been awhile since i was looking, but I do remember seeing them ...
Old 01-17-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

Originally posted by ispeed

I've seen them for sale on several websites. been awhile since i was looking, but I do remember seeing them ...
Hmm...if you come across any, let me know.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

a long time ago, I posted a link to a site that was selling them ...

I mean a real long time ago ...

I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:15 PM
C2MAX

does maxspeed have a web site? if so can someone please post it. thanks

Old 01-17-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

here is one of the places ... I think it was one of the more expensive places, but anyway ...

http://www.autotoyaz.com/nissan2.html
Old 01-17-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Springs would you choose and why?

here is one of the places ... I think it was one of the more expensive places, but anyway ...

http://www.autotoyaz.com/nissan2.html

here's another one

http://www.digitalracer.com/catalog/...l.asp?pid=2947
Old 01-17-2002, 04:28 PM
RussMaxManiac

Okay guys...I have narrowed it down to H&R and Progressive

Now my question is, is Progressive made the same, or is it made like Intrax? I had intrax on my 98 and they sucked...I went to H&R then and loved them. H&R are same design as Eibachs....so I am wondering since there really isn't any pics of the springs alone.

Old 01-17-2002, 04:36 PM

Now my question is, is Progressive made the same, or is it made like Intrax? I had intrax on my 98 and they sucked...I went to H&R then and loved them. H&R are same design as Eibachs....so I am wondering since there really isn't any pics of the springs alone.

do you mean whether or not they are progressively wound like the H&R's?

directly from a website:

Progress Sport Springs: Maximum performance, cold wound, stress relieved annd powder coated street or autocross lowering springs will drop your ride aggressively. Intelligent design and modern manufacturing techniques allow progressive rates where appropriate.

Now I haven't seen the any other springs for the maxima, but I can say the springs progress springs looked almost exactly like my stock springs, just shorter.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:39 PM
RussMaxManiac

What's the link to the site, and does the car ride okay, smooth, no clunks, etc?

do you mean whether or not they are progressively wound like the H&R's?

directly from a website:

Progress Sport Springs: Maximum performance, cold wound, stress relieved annd powder coated street or autocross lowering springs will drop your ride aggressively. Intelligent design and modern manufacturing techniques allow progressive rates where appropriate.

Now I haven't seen the any other springs for the maxima, but I can say the springs progress springs looked almost exactly like my stock springs, just shorter.

Old 01-17-2002, 04:41 PM

What's the link to the site, and does the car ride okay, smooth, no clunks, etc?

It snowed today so I could not take any pics for you. Heres a pic of my setup off the car. I will definaltly take some pics tomarrow for you.

Old 01-17-2002, 04:43 PM
RussMaxManiac

I don't care if it snowed!! Go out there and take a pic! :P

It snowed today so I could not take any pics for you. Heres a pic of my setup off the car. I will definaltly take some pics tomarrow for you.

Old 01-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Got Bent?

ooooooo.... can't wait to order a set..... they look good
Old 01-17-2002, 05:20 PM

Russ why do Intrax/Sprints suck? Arent Springs springs? 2inch drop=
Old 01-17-2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

ooooooo.... can't wait to order a set..... they look good
Well because of the snow I could not take a picture of my car on a flat surface. I will go take one for you right now in the pitch black/snow
Old 01-17-2002, 05:54 PM

Tell me if this link does not work: http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos...&smi=1&a=52509 . Theres three pics in the Album that I just took. Before the drop I could fit about 4 fingers in the wheel well now 2 fingers fit pretty drop another CM lower after some miles.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:57 PM
RussMaxManiac

Tell me if this link does not work: http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos...&smi=1&a=52509 . Theres three pics in the Album that I just took. Before the drop I could fit about 4 fingers in the wheel well now 2 fingers fit pretty drop another CM lower after some miles.
No workie....no album exist!

Old 01-17-2002, 05:59 PM

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. Just get the H&Rs, you know you're going to be happy with them.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:16 PM

Argh

I will take some on pavement in the light tomarrow.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:16 PM

www.progressauto.com

yeah it rides fine ... smooth and no clunks or any noises whatsoever. I remember reading that if you don't like your car making noises, don't lower it ... well I lowered it and no noises
Old 01-17-2002, 06:25 PM

hey russ ive got the eibachs, if u want u can drive my car so u get the full experience
Old 01-17-2002, 06:33 PM

Help a brotha out!

Question from the new guy ...

I bought my first new car last September, and it happened to be a 2001 Supa Black GXE I'm a HUGE car nut, and I could've gotten a whole lotta great cond. used sports cars for $20k, but The Max gave me speed, looks, quality, and utility all in one package. Add post-9/11 financing from the dealer and I was sold.

I am not a rich man (first job, getting married, only 23), but to me it seems that the Maxspeed/KYB AGX route is the way to go. First off, you are getting a progressive-rate spring from an ISO 9000-certified manufacturing company.

YES...I understand that some of you would say that you get what you pay for, but what small amount of ride comfort you lose with the MAX's over H&R and Eibach you regain in control with the KYB AGX's. Give me a set of $400 springs and they won't be worth the cardboard box they came in if I bolt them to my stock shox! Control ULTIMATELY comes from the dampening force of the struts/shocks...and to have adjustable shocks would offset the harsh nature of the Maxspeed springs (make 'em as soft as possible to smooth out the ride when you're taking clients out to lunch!)

Care to comment, ladies?
Old 01-17-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: Help a brotha out!

Originally posted by zeitgeist57

YES...I understand that some of you would say that you get what you pay for, but what small amount of ride comfort you lose with the MAX's over H&R and Eibach you regain in control with the KYB AGX's. Give me a set of $400 springs and they won't be worth the cardboard box they came in if I bolt them to my stock shox! Control ULTIMATELY comes from the dampening force of the struts/shocks...and to have adjustable shocks would offset the harsh nature of the Maxspeed springs (make 'em as soft as possible to smooth out the ride when you're taking clients out to lunch!)

Care to comment, ladies?
Well I'm a guy, can I make a coment?

KYB AGX's in there softest form are still a bit stiffer then stock shocks. If you team up the KYB's with harsh springs your ride will still be a bit ruffer then if you used a soft spring.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Re: Help a brotha out!

Well I'm a guy, can I make a coment?

KYB AGX's in there softest form are still a bit stiffer then stock shocks. If you team up the KYB's with harsh springs your ride will still be a bit ruffer then if you used a soft spring.
I've been trying to garner a response from you on the KYB's (I started a thread on it in this forum) but so far you've not responded. I hope you can give me some feedback here.

From what I've seen from you so far you seem to like them quite a bit. Were there any install/fitment issues? Any noises? do you recommend them based on what you've seen and felt so far?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:16 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Dario
hey russ ive got the eibachs, if u want u can drive my car so u get the full experience

That would really be helpful if I could....how do we do this?

Quick Reply: What Springs would you choose and why?