5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

She's pissing anti freeze [2001]

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:17 AM

She's pissing anti freeze [2001]

I was right! You may remember form a while back asking what things i could replace or maintenance on my car before they broke.

I knew i was right when i realize god, the universe or karma or what you believe in wouldn't want me to have a car this nice.

i've fixed the, PSP high pressure, line and over flow/desgasser tank. as well as taken care of the the coffee and sugar laden console and interior.

well now she has started pissing anti freeze to be fair the last couple of weeks start off at 16F and have varied form -1F to 4F poor old girl is cold.

Dad thinks in the radiator, HOWEVER when i snapped picks of the carnage from the busted PSP line, i found dripping antifreeze and busted ain't freeze tanks also noticed punitive amounts of green corrosion on of the hoses comming off the engine, on the engine side. right side facing the hood/bumper.

personally, if that was the theromsat housing i would mind reaplcing the thermostat for $15 USD, installing a fresh gasket and cleaning up the thermostat housing and while i'm at it cleaning the entire engine bay.

if it's the radiator i sure as hell don't want to buy a new POS stock unit, i'd rather goes ***** out and get all aluminum unit along with silicon hoses.

if i ever did performance mods later a nicer performance aluminum radiator sure would be nice steps towards reliability and better cooling.

i'm still reading threadi search on the forums, i already know to start looking for Koyo or Mishimoto.

what i don't know is how many rows the stock 2001 Max rad is.

I definitely want something that can cool better and is all aluminum (to better quality, no cracking)

only, relevant thread i've found so far, http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-radiator.html

i know you can use universal but, i also you can get custom rads if you give the company the dimensions.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM

good thoughts on the radiators, remember to use a OEM nissan thermostat, you can find aftermarket thermostat threads posted all over on what happens if you dont.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 AM

In the group deals section, you can get a Koyo radiator. It's not all aluminum, it has the plastic tanks like the original. I have them in both of my Maximas, no problems. The oldest one is Feb 2009.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...t-pricing.html
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM

hhhmmm, does have plastic but cools almost 10% better, has plastic but, 110 USD.

Damn talking about putting a guy a in a bind, makes it hard to decide. it's affordable and tad better than stock vs an all out aluminum that i can't really afford... then again i can i afford JB weld but, that wouldn't last forever.

I have to think an aluminum would cool better that 10% and if i planned carefully i though maybe i could use a slightly bigger universal... if one exist and odds are it probably does... more expensive and more work but, more than likley more reliable and cools better than stock... more than 10%.

However i haven't had the BEST look at how the stock radiator is mounted and i do not know how many rows the stock radiator is.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Buy the Koyo radiator from Rock Auto. I have bought 2 of these and have gotten 3 years + out of each of them with no issues. I paid around $50 including shipping