5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alternator issue..... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Alternator issue..... Please help

hello, I had recently had my alternator replace due to what I had thought was a bad alternator. I would get battery light and brake light flicker on the dash.... After having the alternator replaced I'm still having the same issues. The car is an 2000 Nissan Maxima/auto.... I think that I may have a bad connection (ground wire) coming off of the alternator harness. I noticed that she shrink tubing seems to have melted in the area of the pre-cat behind the radiator as there is a single black wire that runs along side the pre-cat towards the bottom of the car. Is this the alternator ground wire? I did wiggle the wire the other evening as all of the light on my dash board lit up as I was coming home from work. The car was about to shut down and once I moved this wire, the engine idle returned to normal, headlight were bright again ect..... Now today the issue returned, once again I moved the wire and all went back to normal. Where can I get a replacement of this harness wire.

Thanks
William
Old 12-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Get a grounding kit. Check sdgrounds
Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 PM

The alternator does not have any ground wires going to it. It uses the ground created by being bolted to the engine block.

There are 2 small wires that plug into the alternator. One of them is for the dash light and the other is the wire that makes the alternator produce current. If these wires are damaged, then the alternator will not work.

To get a new harness from Nissan is extremely expensive. Your best bet is to repair the existing harness of go to a junk yard and cut off the section of harness you need and splice it into your car's harness.