5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Code P1320 Ignition Signal Primary

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 AM

Code P1320 Ignition Signal Primary

I have a 2000 I-30. Back in April I had a problem with the rough idle. The RPM's would oscillate. I took the car to Advance Auto and while their test equipment is basic, the code the P505. It turned out to be an IAC value which my friend changed and the problem was fixed. The code was never cleared from the ECM (I think that is what it's called).

Over the past month, I have been using the car very little and it has been sitting outside in the cold. Below is a synopsis of what happened yesterday:

1. Yesterday was the first day I used the car in the past two weeks. It has been outside in the cold weather, with 1/4 of a tank of gas.

2. The car ran fine, including the idle at stop lights and stop signs. However, I noticed after making a few stops where I needed to turn the car off, it stalled a number of times, but only upon starting it back up. I would guess this happened after three out of six stops yesterday.

3. Once running, again, no problem and the idle did not oscillate as when I had the problem with the IAC value. In fact, the idle was constant, right where is should be.

4. At the end of the day yesterday, while I was unloading packages and the car was idling fine, all of a sudden the "Service Engine Soon" light came on.

5. Even with the "Service Engine Soon" light on, the car idle and ran fine.

6. I went to Advance Auto and the code came up "P1320 Ignition Signal Primary".

7. My friend is out of town but I called him. He said to take the cable off the battery and lets see if the "Service Engine Soon" light goes off and stays off.

8. A friend took off the negative terminal and the "Service Engine Soon" light when off.

9. I drove around for about 15 minutes and the car continues to idle and run fine (this was never an issue). The "Service Engine Soon" light so far is staying off.

Certainly I have no idea what the problem is. I have read that notoriously my car has a problem with the ignition coils. But the idle is fine and the car runs good. I am wondering if I had condensation in the cas tank because I have not been using the car and the gas tank was only 1/4 full. But I did fill the car around noon yesterday and the "Service Engine Soon" light did not come on until about 4:00 pm. Would it hurt to try to put fuel injector clener into the gas tank?

Now to my immediate concern. Early Friday morning we are driving about 800 miles to Chicago. Assuming the car has an bad ignition coil intermittent, I am I running a big risk?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Anovice

Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Update:

Yesterday we drove the 800 miles to Chicago and stopped 3 times for gas. Each of the 3 times we tried restarting the car after filling up, it again stalled once or twice. Same issue even after putting a can of Seaform in the gas tank prior to leaving. It's almost like initially the fuel injectors are not providing enough fuel. But on the second or third try, the car started and immediately the idle was perfect and right where it should be at about 700 RPM and constant. And absolutely no problems with the idle stopping at stop signs, stop lights or on the highway.

This morning, while cold, the started started on the first try. It did not stall. I also noticed that when we first started the car yesterday morning, it did not stall.

Now I am starting to think that whatever the cause of the stalling, it only happens only when the engine is warm.

Anovice